Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:54:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 608
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 596
Total: 597

Author Topic: Could I transmit ??  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Smiley22

Could I transmit ??
« on: September 19, 2019, 10:39:23 am »
 :-\ Hello I have been on meds since November of 2018 my first VL results were 81,100
Then I believe the next results were 270 I can remember the date when I got those results but I believe in March of 2019 I became undetectable. A few days ago I had intercourse and it was unprotected and now I’m just worried if there is any way that I could transmit the virus or is there any chance since I’ve been undetectable for about 5-6 months . My last VL results were on August 12,2019 and it was <20. 

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Could I transmit ??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 11:05:26 am »
Hiya,

So a few weeks short of 6 months and you are stressing about the recommended at least two undetectable results in a row, over a six-month period in regards to transmission?

Firstly even-though you tested UD in March more than likely you were UD before that, so do keep that in mind by now it's more than 6 months. I know there have been transmission cases between people with less than 6 months on treatment although if I recall the cases correctly they all still had detectable VL's.

The 6 months in part stems from historical study results in regards to genital fluids taking longer to reach UD than blood results and people playing it safe. All in all I don't think you anything to worry about as you are at 5-5'5 months UD whilst using more modern treatment. If you want you can of course ask your doctors opinion as reassurance. 

Best, Jim

---

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs, use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. to reduce your risks.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:08:58 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Smiley22

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 01:32:13 pm »
Yes I am overthinkingggg sooo much about the recommended two undetectable test I will try to get ahold of all my labs to have a double check my viral loads. Because I just can’t hurt someone the same way I was hurt since I found out I was positive I always told myself I wouldn’t be that person to put someone in my situation. But being young and telling someone you have hiv is VERY HARD and I just feel so bad .
And I’m trying my best not to worry so much..

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 02:04:06 pm »
Look it takes two to tango and, stop overthinking this encounter.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.