Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:08:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 693
Total: 693

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New here  (Read 8106 times)

Offline Nico

New here
« on: December 27, 2006, 08:12:28 pm »
I guess this is awkward the first time.  I have been on here weekly/daily for a few years and decided to reach out and make some friends.  I have received more from the people on this site and have learned so much.   A little about myself.

I tested positive in 1990 at  26.  I contracted Aids (that is my status 'ol code 042) from my partner whom I love very much.  I never took meds until I got PCP on 2001 and my T's were 200 or less and my VL was let's just say quite high.  After seven weeks in the fabo hotel Piedmont; that's in Atlanta, I came home.  Since then, I quit feeling sorry for me.

My journey has been strange, but I have been able to get back to 800-1200 T's and VL undetectable for nearly 3 1/2 years.  I don't know why.  I do have a great ID doc whom I trust.  Tomorrow I go in for my monthly IVIG and labs.  I never hope, but accept the outcome.  I am taking Trizavir, Reyataz, and booster Novir as well as Procit and the monthly IVIG's.

There is more, but I just wished to introduce myself.  I hope to make some friends online and I am thankful this site is here.

Roger (my real name)   
Poz since 1990.

Offline RapidRod

Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 08:30:12 pm »
Welcome Roger, glad to see you have come to participate.

Offline Jody

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 08:31:47 pm »
Hi Nico...Welcome to a great site with many wonderful folks from all walks of life...Glad you decided to post after "hanging out" for so long...You seem to be far enough along, with a doctor you trust and a meds regimen...You can make many friends for life here and get lots of great info and support and give some as well if you are so inclined.  Keep on truckin'

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline marco23

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 09:01:25 pm »
Well hellllo Roger...
glad you could join us...hey, everyone's journey is always strange...you know, a different path just happens to pop up....but tell you what, the thing that I've found surprising is that sometimes -the strange roads taken, are the ones that turn out to be the most happiest and memorable ones.... ;)
Glad to know ya!   :D
Don't hide your hurt, pain and feelings inside..for they will harden your heart.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 09:03:20 pm »
Hi Roger

Glad you finally decide to post...as far as making friends go you have many great guys here who are more than willing to help you out.

Hope we hear more from you.

Welcome to the family.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 09:05:14 pm »
Hi Roger.
Welcome to the forums. Glad you decided to walk through the door. This is a great place as I'm sure you know by now. Look forward to getting to know you better!
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 09:15:08 pm »
Hi Roger!

Welcome to the pool as opposed to poolside!

And, best wishes to you for remaining holidays.

Em

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 10:28:27 pm »
Roger,

I'm glad you decided to post. Since you have been in the background, you know what great people are here. I hope to hear more from you in the future, I'm sure you have a lot to contribute.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Longislander

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 10:47:23 pm »
Hey Roger, welcome!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Teresa

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 11:10:19 pm »

Glad you decided to join in!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 11:33:00 pm »
well, it's the Jolly Roger.  Welcome!!

You've been reading about us and how we all have questions and try to help each other out.

Well, now I have a question for you.

What's an 'IVIG'?  And how often to you take the Procrit?  I had to take it when recovering from my PCP (3 years ago) and only a couple of times since then.  DO you take it regularly? 

robert

(whose trying not to be awkard himself)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 11:47:43 pm »

Roger...  Thanks for dropping in and introducing yourself.  Since you have some Cd4's to spare mind if I borrow a few? ::)  How bout them Falcons? LOL!

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Nico

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 01:52:53 am »
Thank you all for a warm welcome!!  I am up at this my since puppy has allergies and I am playing vet.

Robert, I started both Procrit and IVIG in late 2002 due first to anemia and the second to low platlets.  At the time I was somewhere around a 7/20 on the hemoglobin/hematocrit or visa-versa and 20,000 on the platlets.  I was getting 40,000 IU of Procrit weekly until 2006 now every other week.  I still receive 30 grams of IVIG aka ( Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) therapy) please Google for more.  This was supposed to boost my platlets and only last about three months.  That was 3 1/2 years ago and although it is tough, the treatment has gotton better down from 4-5 hours a visit to 2 hours - pisses my nurse off since I infuse very fast when she is not looking!!! My platlets are up to 120-140K and the antibodies seem to help, however you do feel like you have a touch of the flu the next day.  It may be helping me overall so I am not stopping the juice for now!

Tom, If I have some spare T's, I will send them to you when the Falcons win an SuperBowl!!

G'nite all if I can get this rascal to sleep...ZZZ

Roger
Poz since 1990.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 02:41:10 am »
Yes, I AM Supporting You!

Hey Roger...

It is unfortunate that you have tested positive for HIV. I do agree that it has be quite a journey since 1990 for you. It is GOOD to see that you have opened up to share with the others.

In my own way, I wish to extend to you a WARM WELCOME here at the AM forums. Here you will find the encouragement, acceptance, communication, understanding, support, some cries, some laughter, and many of your questions relating to HIV/AIDS answered.

Truly, it is a diffcult health situation to accept. However, it is strongly recommended that you Deal rather than Dwell on what has occurred. This will help tremendously to cope with what has occurred with your health.

The Handshake Of Reassurance

We have a great group of Real People who will listen as well as answer you. We are here to Encourage, Learn, and HELP one another as we all walk on our journey in this life.

With the consideration of implementing a Positive Mental Attitude, it will also assist you on your journey in this life as well as having a Positive Impact on your immune system and your overall health.

In fact, through your Positive Mental Attitude, it will HELP you to push forward through ALL of the obstacles on your path that you are now walking on.

Talking and sharing our experiences with other people helps us see that we are not the only ones with problems. Feel free to come and vent with whatever is on your mind from time-to-time and to interact with the other members.

Often the act of writing and the ability to “SEE” your feelings leads to therapeutic insights and solutions..

In the interim, you may want to start taking a multi-vitamin, and some Omega 3, because it is all up to YOU where YOU want to be.

Exercise at least three times per week for a minimum of 30 minutes per day, as this will do you good to help keep that unnecessary stress away.

Don't You Dare Give Up...Don't You Dare Give In...
BECAUSE It Is ALL Within YOU To WIN!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 02:43:04 am by Eldon »

Offline Nadine

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 07:28:03 am »
Welcome to the family Roger...pull up a chair and stay awhile. This is an amazing place filled with people who truly care and understand.

Good luck with your puppy!

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 07:32:29 am »
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your great success in recovering your health.
Ernie

Offline andrews royal

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 07:58:05 am »
hi roger,ur a newbie like me,so can understand that first akward steps in posting for first time.ur numbers r great and hope they keep up,i only tested pos injuly 06 so alll new but after one post i received some much needed friendly replies.all the best andrews

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 08:07:09 am »

Hey Roger, Welcome to the forums !!!

Ray  8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline rkeat25

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2006, 08:31:32 am »
Hi Roger, welcome to the forums!

ronnie

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 09:26:09 am »
Hello and welcome to our lovely community.  I am sure you will find this site is very informational, helpful and also loving and accepting of lots of different opinions.  This site will be what you make of it.  It can be dysfunctional and frustrating at times but mostly its warm and inviting.

Feel free to post as much or as little as you like about yourself at the time you feel it is appropriate.  I personally have put my entire life on this site and it has yet to bite back.  I consider this place a second family to me and love being here and sharing what I can with those I can.

Anyway…. Welcome, you have received my canned greeting deeming you WORTHY of further communication!!!

Andrew

And you get the SPLODING HIGH FIVE for the New High Fiver!!

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline bear60

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 12:01:12 pm »
Hi Roger
I am glad you decided to post.  I hope that we all will have a good year in 2007.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Nico

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 02:08:37 pm »
Thanks all for the warm welcome!!  I really mean that from my heart.  I am reading this at a good time since I just got home from my infusion and will start to feel crappy in a bit.  You kind words let me know I am not alone.  Again thanks and I can be helpful!

Cheers!
Roger
Poz since 1990.

Offline Javicho

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2006, 03:52:42 pm »
Welcome Roger, I'm glad you find us I hope this will be a good way to start 2007!!! :-*

J

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 06:19:49 pm »
Welcome as well, Roger.  It's always good to get some, well, new blood posting each week.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline bzctatl

: New here
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 12:00:41 pm »
 Also New Here.  Test postive back in October, right before my 40th birthday.  So far so good.

Offline Jnm594

• Fight! Fight! Fight the Good Fight!
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 12:37:40 pm »
Welcome again to the forums! Now how about some pictures of that puppy??? LOL!
When it gets hard I always listen to my favorite song of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEYu3KgWCE

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007, 12:45:05 pm »
Hi Roger!

Welcome to the AIDSmeds Dramaturgic and Terpsichorean School for the Fabulously Positive! Your membership package should have arrived by now.  If the tee shirt is the wrong size you can exchange it. 

Please join the rest of us in posting our most intimate secrets, our greatest joys or worst nightmares, our most boring self-absorbed anecdotes (my specialty), or anything else you want to express.  The AIDSmeds family, like all real families, goes through periodic sturm und drang but on the whole it's a very welcoming and friendly atmosphere.  We do love to argue about politics, religion, ice cream, and other profound subjects but manage to stop short of shedding blood; just an occasional scratch, maybe.

Thanks for coming out of the lurking class and joining full-fledged participants!

Boo

String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline rick21007

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 02:11:36 pm »
A big welcome and a big hug to you guys, Roger and bzctatl!!!

Roger, you've walked this road for a few years.  Reading the stories of those of you who have sure helps those of us who are only beginning.  Hope you will share more.

Rick

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007, 02:20:55 pm »
Hi Roger, and welcome!

I live in Alabama now, but was in Atlanta previously, from 1985 to 2001.   I am very familiar with the "hotel Piedmont"; I always stayed at the "hotel DeKalb Med. Ctr." though.....but have been to the E.R. there, as well as visting many friends.

Glad you have joined us!

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Nico

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2007, 04:59:58 pm »
Thanks all and I have met some great people here since joining.  I will post a pic of my pup once this computer challenged dummy figures out how to. 

Boo- I will watch out for the package - does it contain the magic cure?  ;D

Rick - Alas, I have walked many a mile (not in heels) and crawled a few along the way...... ;)

Alan - I can say at least Piedmont is all private rooms.  I am one scarey sight a few days without a buff and wax!  :o

Cheers!
Roger

Poz since 1990.

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2007, 05:12:42 pm »
Hey Nico/Roger

Happy to see that you are doing well. CD4 counts look terrific. Keep up the good work.

Al
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.