Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:25:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 625
Total: 625

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Firu: Spirit Unbroken  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Firu: Spirit Unbroken
« on: October 03, 2010, 01:31:11 am »
With all the animal lovers on this site, I'm surprised no one has posted about Firu yet. He's a large dog with adorable, expressive eyes who was dragged behind a truck on September 17th. He has been rescued and is being cared for by some lovely people in North Carolina, where the incident took place. You've got to look through his Facebook page (doesn't everyone have one these days?) and see the progress he has made so far. When he looks into the camera on his videos on You Tube, your heart will melt. Srsly.

I can't believe what trust this animal has in people after all the pain he's been through.

Scroll past the photo for the story as reported the next day.

Dog Dragged Behind Truck in North Carolina - A Struggle for his Recovery Ensues

North Carolina - It is difficult to view the photos of Firu. The large dog is covered in road burns so severe that portions of his skin are missing entirely.

Firu is a 1.5 yr old Boxer/American Bulldog mix that was recently taken in by the Charlotte Mecklenburg Animal Care and Control after it was discovered that his owner had dragged him behind his vehicle.

How could something like this happen? The owner claimed to have been drinking. He had tied the dog to the bumper of his truck and then forgot about him....he proceeded to drive home. An act of utterly cruel negligence.

Firu suffered massive injuries to his entire body. His paws are bloodied, with portions missing. His skin is gone in many areas - there are too many road burns to count.

Samantha Hodge, an independent rescuer, heard about Firu's plight and she has taken him in. The dog is currently at her vet, Dr. Tom Wellrich at the Animal Hospital of East Burke.

Firu is receiving pain medication, his wounds have been dressed and he is getting the rest and care that he requires to recover from his horrendous injuries.

Firu's vet bills will be astronomical. This hasn't stopped Hodge from her desire to provide for the wounded dog. Firu's owner failed him in a horrible way - he is now in the care of people that refuse to allow him to be let down again.
more...

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Firu: Spirit Unbroken
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 06:09:42 am »
OMG..I hadn't heard anything about this Ann, I couldn't look at the photo's on his FB page,..I hope they Fucking rip his owner apart...or better still throw him into a room full of animal lovers, and let them skin the bastard alive.

Such a beatiful dog, I can't imagine the pain he must have been in.

Jan :'(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:12:22 am by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:21:21 am »
Wow, that poor creature.  I simply cannot stand cruelty to animals.  And there needs to be tougher laws.  Firu definitely has a wonderful spirit, which is usually the case with these animals.  No matter how much they have been hurt, they are always willing to give another human a chance, if shown some kindness. 

Hopefully the previous owner will pay dearly.  I hate this kind of shit.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:27:01 am »
As I read this, another truck, dragging death story in the South came to mind. While I pity this poor pooch's state, the death of James Byrd, intentionally dragged behind a truck still sends horror waves through me. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25008925/

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 09:52:51 am »
We need more people like Samantha Hodge in this world.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:44:49 am »
What a story and I agree WW there are so many wonderful selfless people out there doing just incredible things, and we could use more.

Thanks for sharing Ann I am such an animal lover myself so I will def be donating. Interesting name I wonder what it's origins are?
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 12:13:25 pm »
OMG..I hadn't heard anything about this Ann, I couldn't look at the photo's on his FB page,..I hope they Fucking rip his owner apart...or better still throw him into a room full of animal lovers, and let them skin the bastard alive.

Such a beatiful dog, I can't imagine the pain he must have been in.

Jan :'(

Jan, the more recent photos aren't that bad. In fact, none of them are too bad because there aren't any from the first week when he was at his worst. His recovery so far has been amazing. I'm sure all that love he's being surrounded by has quite a bit to do with it.

I think it's the most recent video is the one where he wags his tail for the first time. A very momentous moment for a dog who couldn't even stand up for the first week or so after the incident.

As I read this, another truck, dragging death story in the South came to mind. While I pity this poor pooch's state, the death of James Byrd, intentionally dragged behind a truck still sends horror waves through me. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25008925/

I thought about that story too, Em. I don't understand how anyone can be so horrifically cruel to another living being. I get upset when I step on a snail in my garden. :-\
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 02:07:28 pm »
This was in today's newspaper.

Three dogs — horribly abused — benefit from veterinary care at shelter

GREENSBORO — One of two dogs burned over the summer has completed his rehabilitation and soon will be up for adoption. Phoenix, a 7-month-old pit bull-labrador mix, is close to finishing his stay at the Guilford County Animal Shelter. “We are thinking he’s at the point where he won’t require any more surgeries,” said Dana King, assistant director of the shelter. “He’s progressed nicely.” The dog, which was taken to a veterinary clinic July 18, was burned while tied up behind a home along Maury Lane.

Four youths, whose cases are pending in court, are accused of pouring lighter fluid on a cloth, attaching it to the puppy and setting him on fire. They were arrested July 30. Phoenix suffered second- and third-degree burns over 40 percent of his body. The wounds became infected and required skin grafts.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/10/01/article/three_dogs_horribly_abused_benefit_from_veterinary_care_at_shelter

Here is a video of one of the dogs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziQu7Hs8p_U&feature=player_embedded#!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 06:46:19 pm »
This was in today's newspaper.

Three dogs — horribly abused — benefit from veterinary care at shelter

GREENSBORO — Four youths, whose cases are pending in court, are accused of pouring lighter fluid on a cloth, attaching it to the puppy and setting him on fire. They were arrested July 30. Phoenix suffered second- and third-degree burns over 40 percent of his body. The wounds became infected and required skin grafts.

That's so horrible.  And people who do those kind of acts to animals, will almost always eventually do it to a human.

In the local paper here today, there was an article about a man being charged with "felony animal cruelty and mutilation," after he had beaten his young pitbull so bad, one of the dog's eyes came out.  Neighbors had called the police, who found the dog barely alive, and a fresh small grave dug.  The dog had to be put down.  Just unbelievable.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline john33

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 08:10:01 pm »
I'm absolutely gob smacked!!

I can't understand (and frankly don't want to go there) what motivates people to do these sort of horrific things.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.