Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:59:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 224
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 22 years now with full blown AIDS  (Read 56003 times)

Offline mozartian

22 years now with full blown AIDS
« on: February 24, 2014, 08:53:18 am »
I tested positive in 1992 after testing negative six months before and when I tested positive my T4 was 32, indicating full blown AIDS.  They gave me 3-5 years to live.  They put me on AZT, which a week later I rejected and there began a long line of experimental drugs up until today with the state-of-the-art more powerful drugs.  It is now 22 years later and I am still here with a T4 around 300, stable, and have had no infections.  I have explained it for myself that I had the virus a long time before it was indicated in the testing, since back in 1992 testing was still not all that completely accurate.  Is  there anybody else out there who has lived this long with full-blown AIDS?     

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: 22 years now with full blown AIDS
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 08:59:37 am »
Welcome to the forum . I have been poz over 30 years so there are lots of us around .

Although there have been advances in HIV testing the test in 1992 were accurate as well .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:11:52 pm »
Hi, I tested poz in 1989, so 25 years.  There's a section for us old timers, the long term survivors section of the forum.  There's quite a few of us here. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 04:55:09 pm »
welcome to the forums. You'll find there are a lot of us around these forums whom outlived expectations.  I tested poz 28 years ago and advanced to AIDS in 1989.  24 years old and dying of AIDS seems like a lifetime ago.

Hope to hear more from you, and hope you develop the same types of relationships with the great people here that I have.

best wishes
wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 06:24:07 pm »
Another old timer here to welcome you! 31+ years poz. Glad you found the forums.  :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Denver Toad

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 07:03:22 pm »
I don't consider it full blown AIDS, just a shitty CD4 count. Diagnosed Feb 14 2003, sixty-ish CD4. Best count since then, 234. That was a good month. Usually in the mid 180's. Healthy as a horse otherwise.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 07:22:00 pm »
Welcome  :D

I've had HIV/AIDS (tested POZ back in JUNE 87)

but, some of my new docs are saying I probably had

it way back in 79 to 81 when I had HEP A & B and 2 STD's  :o

also was told that the onset of AIDS takes up to 10yrs. or more  :(

anywho, you'll find some of us LTS a little jaded

but were still very much alive & kicking  ;D

HUGS

DEN

"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 07:48:38 pm »
At my 29th year HIV positive listed in medical records.

Diagnosed with AIDS Related Complex in 1985. First CD4 count was 75. Given 2-3 years to live then.

Will be 61 years old this year.

Feel fine physically.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:50:52 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline mozartian

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 01:33:13 am »
Nice to hear from all of you.  Ok, here is my next complication.  In 2011, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's.  I have a sixty three degree curve in my spine to the right and so my posture is off side.  But I have relatively little pain and walk two miles daily, live in assisted living, and do artwork daily.  I have read that having AIDS predisposes you to Parkinson's.  Anybody have thoughts on all of this? 

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 04:00:44 am »
I have not come across this before, however it would not surprise me for in the years to come a link may be established.

It too 2 years from 91 to 92 to diagnose me Hodgkin Lyn , part off it was nobody was looking for it , now presenting the same symptoms a diagnosis would be quicker.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 06:56:02 am »
THEY USE TO SAY THAT ANYBODY WHO HAD LESS THAN 500 CELL CT HAD FULL BLOWN AIDS.I TESTED POSITIVE IN 1988 AND HAVE NOW HAD A RECENT LAB WHICH HAS INDICATED THE HIGHEST CT I HAVE EVER HAD IN THE PAST 24 YRS AT 402.I USE TO GET SO FRUSTRATED THAT AMONG ALL MY FRIENDS ,I ALWAYS HAD THE LOWEST CT EVEN THOUGH WE WERE ON THE SAME MEDS!!!THIS IS NOW 2014 AND I AM THE ONLY ONE STILL ALIVE.I HAVE OFTEN WONDERED IF MAYBE THIS WAS GOD"S WAY OF PUNISHING ME !!!.....PLEASE EXCUSE ALL THE CAPS!!!

Offline Tony123

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 07:16:14 am »
To all those oldies - keep going strong. Their is life after being diagnosed HIV pos - You have all shown us it can be done. Thanks for encouragement and for all the positive stories - I know that there are many many sad stories as well, but we all will conquer.

Offline mozartian

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:30:14 am »
I might add also that at my last complete physical examination with my doctor, he said that looking at the big picture considering all my test results and having two incurable diseases (Parkinson's and AIDS) "You are healthier now than you have ever been since testing positive."

Deny the Disease.  Do not give it entrance.  Tell it to get out. 
You are as healthy as you think.   

Offline mozartian

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 07:34:30 am »
Isn't the definition of full blown AIDS still "below 200 T4"?  I was under the assumption that it was not an arbitrary call.  That it was specifically defined. 

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 07:58:51 am »
Isn't the definition of full blown AIDS still "below 200 T4"?  I was under the assumption that it was not an arbitrary call.  That it was specifically defined. 

An HIV patient who has a current or prior diagnosis of an Aids defining condition with a CD4 count of <200 and <14% of total lymphocytes

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 08:15:52 am »

I've never heard a doctor use the term "full blown AIDS" -- I've only heard it on Family Guy or some TV show, or on a web forum, or someone gossiping in a gay bar. I don't think it's really an actual clinical term.

When I was <200 cd4 count I didn't have an opportunistic infections. Yes, technically by CDC definitions I had AIDS but there wasn't anything "full blown" about it. Does that mean I was "half blown"?

I think most use the World Health Organization standards of clinical staging, which have been updated over the years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHO_Disease_Staging_System_for_HIV_Infection_and_Disease_in_Adults_and_Adolescents
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 09:33:29 am »
An HIV patient who has a current or prior diagnosis of an Aids defining condition with a CD4 count of <200 and <14% of total lymphocytes
HIV infection, stage 3 (AIDS): CD4+ T-lymphocyte count of <200 cells/μL or CD4+ T-lymphocyte percentage of
total lymphocytes of <14, or documentation of an AIDS-defining condition. Documentation of an AIDS-defining
condition supersedes a CD4+ T-lymphocyte count of ≥200 cells/μL and a CD4+ T-lymphocyte percentage of total
lymphocytes of ≥14

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 10:10:57 am »
I tested positive in 1992 after testing negative six months before and when I tested positive my T4 was 32, indicating full blown AIDS.  They gave me 3-5 years to live.  They put me on AZT, which a week later I rejected and there began a long line of experimental drugs up until today with the state-of-the-art more powerful drugs.  It is now 22 years later and I am still here with a T4 around 300, stable, and have had no infections.  I have explained it for myself that I had the virus a long time before it was indicated in the testing, since back in 1992 testing was still not all that completely accurate.  Is  there anybody else out there who has lived this long with full-blown AIDS?     
I was advised early on by my ID doctor to not get caught up with the numbers and don't stress yourself on the numbers.  He stated that you'll know what you can do and when to back down and take a break if needed. He  also said don't change anything that you don't feel needs to change in your daily life.    When I was diagnosed with HISTO and AIDS. I was told I was "full blown" and he explained the medical  terminology it was a numbers game and he wasn't concerned about the AIDS as he was the HISTO. Now going on 30 years this April with an AIDS diagnoses for the past 8 years I still do what I can. Today I don't worry about by numbers, don't get me wrong I take a look at them but I don't get concerned. I just continue to move along and remind myself that there are others out there that don't have AIDS that are in a lot worse shape than I'm in and to be grateful. That is how I deal with Living with HIV.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 10:15:13 am »
I think most use the World Health Organization standards of clinical staging, which have been updated over the years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHO_Disease_Staging_System_for_HIV_Infection_and_Disease_in_Adults_and_Adolescents

Clinical stage 4 HIV infection sound classier than full blown AIDS.  ;)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 11:29:51 am »
Hello Mozartian,...

Welcome to the forums !  Another LTS'er Here...  Diagnosed positive in 1985, Aids by 2003. Started HAART October of 2003

Currently doing alright, a few issues now and then, Just got to know when to slow down, and take it easy. Plus the age thing !

One step at a time !

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 01:19:21 pm »
Congrats for retirement!
Mobile.eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 06:25:59 am »
I AGREE WITH YOU 100% RAPIDRON

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 06:26:44 am »
RAPIDROD :D

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 10:35:31 am »
Is  there anybody else out there who has lived this long with full-blown AIDS?     
technically now that your count is above 200, you don't have AIDS anymore. ;D WooHoo!

However, I will agree with you on the "full-blown" part. Anyone who has been in a hospital with <50 cd4s, VL in the millions, and in the process of nearly dying from an OI, well, those people understand all too well what "full blown" means. ;)

I've been poz for 30 yrs now and it's been 22 yrs since my AIDS diagnosis and like you my cd4s barely hang around the 300 mark. Welcome to our club. ;D According to a POZ article I read back in Sept 2013 (http://www.poz.com/articles/older_and_wiser_2791_24349.shtml), there's only about 50k of us left over from the bad ol' days.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mozartian

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 12:33:51 pm »
I have thought from the very beginning of this disease and I think more so even now after getting all these definitions and opinions, that it would all be simpler and clearer if the disease was simply called "AIDS".  Get rid of the HIV confusion that makes people think you DON'T have it even when you in fact DO.      As I see it, you either have the virus or you don't.  If you have it, you have AIDS.  If you don't have the virus, you don't have AIDS.  You either have the virus or you don't.  What is the purpose in having all this gray area in between?  It especially confuses the public. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 12:38:35 pm »
I have thought from the very beginning of this disease and I think more so even now after getting all these definitions and opinions, that it would all be simpler and clearer if the disease was simply called "AIDS".  Get rid of the HIV confusion that makes people think you DON'T have it even when you in fact DO.      As I see it, you either have the virus or you don't.  If you have it, you have AIDS.  If you don't have the virus, you don't have AIDS.  You either have the virus or you don't.  What is the purpose in having all this gray area in between?  It especially confuses the public. 

Butt flu has a nice ring to it too .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mozartian

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 12:44:43 pm »
Yes, let's give it a new name. 
Something like "gay rights".  He has "gay rights". 

Offline mozartian

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 12:57:17 pm »
And then there is Magic Johnson who has an undetectable viral load and tries to convince the media that he doesn't have it anymore.  I mean, who gave him the mike?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 01:16:15 pm »
And then there is Magic Johnson who has an undetectable viral load and tries to convince the media that he doesn't have it anymore.  I mean, who gave him the mike?

That is false, he's never said that.

Offline mozartian

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 01:33:08 pm »
Sometimes the media reports things incorrectly. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 01:38:37 pm »

I dont agree with this view.

Some HIV+ people have AIDS - for a few different criteria and/or past histories.

People can easily have untreated HIV today and get AIDS and die. 

Many HIV+ people are going to age over decades to come and what they end up with will have little to do with a lot of how "AIDS" was defined for, let's say, the first 20 years of the HIV epidemic. 

I am HIV+ but I don't have AIDS.

How does your simplification help matters at all?   
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mozartian

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 01:42:13 pm »
Do you have the virus?
Or do you not have the virus?

Offline mecch

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 01:45:04 pm »
Sure. The virus is called HIV. I have it. Its not killing me and its considered effectively controlled for the long run. What happens when Im 70, we will see.  I don't have AIDS. NO medical expert I have seen has ever told me I have AIDS and in fact have taken pains to explain that my experience as HIV+ is not the same as someone who has AIDS or once had AIDS.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mozartian

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 03:02:44 pm »
I can see this is going to be hard to sell to those not diagnosed under the current definition as having AIDS.  My point is that the virus does not come and go.  Once you get the virus, it does not go away.  If it went away,  then we would have a cure.  But we don't have a cure.  So there are people in the world who do not have the virus and there are people in the world who do.  It is black and white. 

I am not using the current definition.  I am proposing a new definition. 
Do not confuse the two. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 03:17:02 pm »
Are we beinging Punk'd???? 

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mozartian

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 03:23:28 pm »
Yes. 

So alls I know is that I had AIDS two days ago and now after starting to comment here, I don't have AIDS anymore.  Thanks guys, you changed my life. 
Yeah!!!!!!!

Offline mecch

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 03:32:12 pm »
Mozartian, you are right that it isn't easy to educate the world about the different experiences of being infected with HIV.

You can propose any "new definition" you please.  But doctors, public health professionals and epidemiologists don't seem to have a problem with the current use of "HIV+" for people infected with HIV.  What happens along the way can be very diverse.

It isn't "black and white" and the way forward is knowledge coming from the experts - on the various prognosis of living with HIV.

One of the themes of the thread is learning to give context to loaded terms as "full-blown AIDS" - to "unpack" its meanings so as to respond psychologically, medically and socially to such terms, and knowing who they apply to, and who they may not apply to. 

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 04:34:38 pm »

Morartian,

I am confused on why you resist the distinction between being HIV positive and being diagnosed with AIDS.  Historically, an AIDS diagnosis is what you needed to get disability, as being just poz was not considered as sufficient to warrant the payment of disability claims.  In the early years, they keep massaging the term "AIDS" until they reached a consensus on what having AIDS really meant in terms of your health.  An AIDS diagnosis was also used to allocate federal funds, based on the number of AIDS patients that lived in a given geographical location.

There has always been a method to the madness and to be honest, the designations of poz or AIDS is for the benefit of the patients, doctors and administrators and not the general public.

Joe

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 06:34:30 pm »
Welcome Mozart!

'Im a Short Term Survivor, starting my 6th year with HIV.

glad to have you here!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mozartian

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 09:46:39 am »
Is there anyone out there who has Parkinson's or any kind of degenerative nerve disease that developed after their diagnosis of AIDS?

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD... Dx'd 8/10/2013...
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 10:02:43 pm »
It is enlightining and gives us great hope for a long survival after reading these posts!! 20, 25 or 30+ years surviving HIV is awesome.. I just hope I can be counted into this group.. I was diagnosed on Aug 13 and started on Stribild on Sept 21...I think it is a marvelous med....My cd4 was 190 (and my Dr. said not to get fixated on that number or the label 'AIDS', she said it will get better I promise and it has!) and VL was 72K... I felt sick really sick only once but had a rapid weight loss which no one could explain!!! Then bam! The bombshell! I am HIV+...It has been difficult and so far I am doing this by myself, alone. I haven't disclosed status to anyone! This solitude is awful, but I am not ready to let the world know...I envy those that have been able to open up! But not all of us are ready! Last doctor visit VL was UD and Cd4 had climbed to 292!!!
Thank you all of you for sharing and allow us, newbies, to garner strength and hope!!
Today January 20, 2020, I have taken 2378 pills of my ARV since first pill. This means 79 bottles of 30 pills of ARVs at an average of $3950 per bottle or $313,103 USD for my treatment. I have a compliance of 99.83% taking my meds and only .17% (or 4 pills) non-compliant. Of these four pills two I forgot completely, One I lost and one I didn't have with me while traveling! I became UD 3 months after treatment start   ***We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!! AND, yes the Lord is my shepherd. Life is good... And thanks for the meds! ***

Offline Tony123

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 01:23:16 am »
Hey JosephP. Glad to here the meds are working. I was diagnosed just under 2 years ago and just started with meds 3 weeks ago, so I look forward to my first results in just over 2 months time. I also only found out because I got Meningitis. It was scary at first but I have told partner and a small group of friends and my brother. Everyone has been supportive. I don't believe the whole world needs to know but it is helpful to have people you can lean on, even if you just rely on us here on the forum. All the best.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2014, 04:30:00 am »
YAY Joseph and YAY Tony, you're both on the right track. You'll both be fine.

Offline mozartian

definitians
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2014, 04:07:25 pm »
Can someone tell me what the current medical definitions are for AIDS and HIV Positive?  Here are the last two I remember -

AIDS - HIV infected with T4 below 200 and/or one opportunistic infection.  Once classified as having AIDS, you remain classified as that even if T4 goes above 200

HIV Positive - HIV infected with T4 above 200 and no opportunistic infections.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: definitians
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2014, 04:14:31 pm »
I think you got the definitions correct . The lines have blurred greatly about what those definitions means to us since the 3 drug combo came about . If you have a CD4 count at or consistently below 300 ish then a prophylaxis is needed to prevent PCP but with the new meds treatment means a pretty quick recovery back to a normal life span with just a little luck .

May I ask why you ask ? .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2014, 07:23:12 pm »
If you have a CD4 count at or consistently below 300 ish then a prophylaxis is needed to prevent PCP
below 200  ;)

it's easy to remember: if you have "aids" you need Bactrim, just in case
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2014, 07:33:37 pm »
below 200  ;)

it's easy to remember: if you have "aids" you need Bactrim, just in case

My doc had me on bactrim for over 15 years and didn't let up till I my cd4 was 300 and thats why the number sticks in my head ... he was a cautious type . Thanks .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline phoenix

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2014, 08:22:57 pm »
since I started with a t4 count below 200 are you saying I will always be classified as having AIDs even if count rises above 200? After a year and a half of treatment my vl is undetectable but t4 count still not above 200. Getting close but not there yet.  To some it may be a matter of semantics, but reading these posts I find it matters to me. 
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile.                              The point of the journey is not to arrive.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2014, 08:40:51 pm »
Why does it matter to you?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2014, 08:47:13 pm »
I am wondering the same thing thing as Miss P and would like to know the motivation for the question because it matters .

If the definition is 200 then I have had aids a dozen times with my numbers back and forth from lab to lab . Im not finding fault with asking an honest question just trying to understand . I have said it before ... Aids, hope I never get that again . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.