Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:06:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773266
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 336
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Scrutiny Continues  (Read 7891 times)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
The Scrutiny Continues
« on: December 21, 2006, 08:12:11 pm »
I continue to be amazed  at the number of "guests" viewing this forum.

Not too long ago I noticed that a huge number of "guests", 28 to be exact, that were all "viewing" Dingoboi's thread about the music CD.

As I am typing this, there are currently 22 "guests" in this forum, they are scattered around the the Master Pictures thread, the Cover Art thread, the Location/Suggestion thread and the Sometimes things get too big thread.

Now come on people, surely these spikes in "guests" can not be based purely upon coincidence.

What's going on?

RAB

Edited to change the word "thread" in first sentence to the word forum.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:17:01 pm by RAB »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: The Scrutiny Continues
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 08:16:21 pm »
hmmm...sounds like some visits on the 'down low' to me!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 09:28:05 pm »
RAB,

Is it really that difficult to believe we have lots of guests? Some are forum members who, for whatever reason, don't want to log in but do want to read, others are probably people who haven't yet worked up the courage (or the need) to register. If a person has no interest in posting, there is no need for them to register and log on. This forum is global with a very wide audience. I've seen as many as 60 or 70 legitimate guests on the forums at one time.

Once in a blue moon, we do get what looks like bots. (probably what you saw in the CD thread)  Every forum on the internet gets visits from these entities now and then. They're nothing to worry about.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 09:53:47 pm »
RAB,

Is it really that difficult to believe we have lots of guests? Some are forum members who, for whatever reason, don't want to log in but do want to read, others are probably people who haven't yet worked up the courage (or the need) to register.

Nope it isn't that "difficult to believe" this web site may have a lot of guests. Your point is well taken.

Quote from: ann line=topic=7050.msg80498 date=1166754485
If a person has no interest in posting, there is no need for them to register and log on. This forum is global with a very wide audience. I've seen as many as 60 or 70 legitimate guests on the forums at one time.

ANN

Good point, forgive me for speculating otherwise.  One question though, how many times have you "seen" 28 "guests" logged into the same thread at the same time (particularly one that had not been touched from August 12 to November 15)?  How many times have you "seen" such an obvious spike in the # of "guests" randomly log into this specific forum simultaneously?  I realize I don't have access to the same information that you do, so therefore I respectfully step back from my original question.  I'm just a member who made an observation based upon what I was seeing.  I won't make that mistake again.  I promise.
RAB

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 10:12:51 pm by RAB »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 10:03:47 pm »
For the record:  I popped into AM Gatherings a bunch when I was here as a guest because I had no idea what it was.  (As in, "If this is just a forums board about AIDS medicines, what's all this 'Gathering' business about?') 

To be honest, I was wondering what I had really stumbled onto here- was it more forum or tribe? 

I still haven't been around here near long enough to make a definitive answer for myself, but I guess I'm just trying to say that I found the whole 'Gathering' thing to be more than just passingly intriguing.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 10:19:44 pm »
I just have to confess...  I often "visit" without signing in.  Going to Montreal or Toronto was never affordable as is/was Las Vegas, Vancouver or the cruise option.  However comma since I live on the Russian River, I am ever so excited about having all of you come here.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline ChrisNCoronado

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 10:47:13 pm »
I've seen as many as 60 or 70 legitimate guests on the forums at one time.

I want to know more about the "ILLEGITIMATE(S)" hanging around here  ;D

Send 'em to Scottsdale!

-Chris
(so as NOT to hijack, I visit this thread - and others - while NOT logged-in, therefor appearing as a guest). 

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 12:40:59 am »
Supporting You

Hey RAB...

You are SPOT ON as well as Ann. There are members who cruise the site as a GUEST instead of logging in. Now, WHY they do this is beyond me. I could go into a number of different reasons but, I choose not to do so.

Take care of YOU!

"Don't Give Up, Don't Give In... Cause it is ALL within you to WIN!"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 09:26:20 am »

Good point, forgive me for speculating otherwise.  One question though, how many times have you "seen" 28 "guests" logged into the same thread at the same time (particularly one that had not been touched from August 12 to November 15)?  How many times have you "seen" such an obvious spike in the # of "guests" randomly log into this specific forum simultaneously?  I realize I don't have access to the same information that you do, so therefore I respectfully step back from my original question.  I'm just a member who made an observation based upon what I was seeing.  I won't make that mistake again.  I promise.
RAB

RAB, darlin, you didn't make a mistake and I'm sorry if you thought anything I wrote implied you had. Re-reading my reply to you I can see how my first sentence may have sounded a wee bit snotty, but it wasn't meant that way at all. I suppose I probably should have qualified that question with a :) or a ;D or even a ;) - or worded it differently, but hey, it was 2:30 am when I was writing. I just wanted to make sure your question was answered before there was loads of speculation going on.

I did mention in my reply that yes, sometimes we do get visits from something called "bots" and I mentioned that is probably what you saw in the CD thread. They're not anything to worry about.

Overall, the guest who appear in these pages are just ordinary people having a read. I can understand how their appearance - especially when the bots are about - may be alarming but there really is no cause to worry. I was a bit freaked out myself when we first changed over to this software and could see guests - so I checked it out with Peter and was reassured by the answer he gave me - which is what I've passed on to you. I hope you are also reassured. :) And yes, whenever I see lots of guests on at once, I check it out - more out of nosiness than anything.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 10:00:06 am »
Ann Babycakes

I've figured out what it is!   :o  (Well besides my damn bitchiness that it!  Insert embarrassed grin here.)

It's a trade school for CAT HERDERS!  They are using this forum as a training ground!  I'm convinced that what it is, it just has to be!

RAB

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 11:08:07 am »

Meeeeooooowww?

;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 05:24:40 pm »
I vote to kick Rab off the island.   :o

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 08:52:26 pm »
Hey Bailey... if you don't want Rocky on your Island then send him to mine...just remember it's the South Island of NZ ..not the North... ;)

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline greatcyber

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 01:35:20 pm »
Hi Rocky,

Something that you MIGHT be overlooking, there are several "old folks" who no longer wish to have anything to do with the site and/or gatherings, but may pop in now and again just to see what may be going on within the forums.  I for one, don't normally read any of the threads anymore but mainly read the blogs.  I have no interest in the AMGs or spite that popped up after the last AMG.  Joe continues to log on and occasionally post, however, we have directed our interests elsewhere.

Maybe that is one reason for so many "guests?"

X
Perform a Random Act of Kindness Today...

...You Just May Be In Need of One Tomorrow!

Offline hussy_24

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 12:09:30 pm »
61 guests, 14 users online now :)

i have my pc at home set as "log on forever" and keep cookies on pc etc

at work tho, i dont keep aidsmeds.com in the internet history (after finish viewing it i delete it from history etc) and dont log in just view it as a guest for a few mins when got some privacy or on lunch break etc. Shameful i know lol, but i do that with any site, even amazon.com etc so other staff cant see what i've been browsing for,... adult book section ^^ :P

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.