Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:33:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 225
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Accupuncture! My First Round Being the Live Vodoo Doll ; )  (Read 2938 times)

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
So I'd been talking about trying accupuncture for some time now. Today I had my first appointment.

The Wright House here in Austin has agreements with various Holistic healthcare providers and if you are HIV+ then all those services are available free or very low cost. You have to first be signed up with them in order to take advantage of this vast array of services.

Today, I was a living human pin cushion ; ) I was very impressed with the gal. I had to fill out some papers about my various issues and concerns and then met with the accupuncturist. She was terrific! Listened to all my concerns and issues.

For those affraid of needles, don't be! They are really tiny, probably thinner then a human hair. They use disposable ones so there is no risk of infection or contracting any disease.

I was just a little aprehensive. Not really! So I had to take off my shirt and lay face down on a massage table. She put several needles (maybe 50) in various places in my back and neck. None hurt although I could feel a few of them so very slightly.

So, after placing several specially made accupuncture needles in my back, neck and ears I was left for at least a half hour or more. I was so damn relaxed I started to doze off. For any of you who know me this is highly unusual because I have a strong Type A personality and have difficulty relaxing or taking naps.

Just as I was falling asleep and completely relaxed she popped back in to add a few more needles and left me again for another half hour or so. Again, none of these hurt and I was SO relaxed. I felt like my breathing had relaxed and I just felt calm.

All in all I was there for probably 2 hours total for my first visit. I don't know what results I will notice and I'm as big a skeptic as there is. What I can tell you is that for me to relax like that was highly unusual. While I was there my mind kind of focused on relaxing and thinking I was taking some action to help build up my immune system. I felt like my circulation was affected in that I felt like my blood was flowing properly and just overall at peace. Wierd for me ; )

Thanks to the Wright House here in Austin all of this is covered. I had to pay a $3 dollar copayment, but I understand if you can't afford that it is waived. I know a LOT of people who seek out Holistic alternatives and pay $150 an hour for accupuncture in Los Angeles so it kind of felt to me like I was pampering myself. All I would have needed to complete a perfect day would have been a shopping excursion, getting hair and eyebrows done and maybe some Botox ; )

I have NO idea whether or not this accupuncture will help improve my overall health, but I certainly felt the relaxation benefits were well worth it. It just seemed like all my worries and stress floated right away.......something which is very difficult for me to achieve.

After another wait she came back in and removed all the "needles". I was sort of disappointed because I could have stayed another hour ; )

So, after my experience today I've now decided to continue with it and see how things go. Hard to say after just one treatment, but that relaxation was well worth it alone. In fact, I have now decided to add massage therapy into my weekly schedule. Until today I would have avoided that because I am typically not comfortable with people touching me or massaging me unless it's an intimate partner.

But hey, I decided I'm gona give that a whirl as well. The massage is only $10 so sure can't hurt.

Well, that has been my new experience today. I know a few others here are planning to try accupuncture and others are interested so I'll try to update you all and let ya know of any benefits I notice.

Today, the biggest difference was just a feeling of peace and deep relaxation. Since I've been on Meds for about 1 1/2 months I just see this as a bonus!

If any of you have any fears or questions don't hesitate to ask and I will do my best to find the answers. I figure it certainly can't hurt and the needles don't either.

Wesley
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline bear60

Re: Accupuncture! My First Round Being the Live Vodoo Doll ; )
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 05:37:41 pm »
I am so pleased that you did this and that you feel that its worth going back for more.
I have had acupuncture for at least 4 or 5 years now for various complaints as well as overall "feeling better".  If you are quitting smoking ask about the treatment for that.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 05:40:31 pm »
LOL Bear! 

We discussed that!   I shall resume my efforts to quit smoking in the future, but I've had so much crap going on lately we decided best to wait.

Thanks for sharing your experience as well. 

It will be interesting to see what others say as well.

Wesley

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 06:21:50 pm »
Thanks to the Wright House here in Austin all of this is covered. I had to pay a $3 dollar copayment, but I understand if you can't afford that it is waived. I know a LOT of people who seek out Holistic alternatives and pay $150 an hour for accupuncture in Los Angeles so it kind of felt to me like I was pampering myself.

Congratz. NYC is the same way (ultra expensive) so I usually tell poz people to take advantage of ASO's or other groups offering this service for pozzies for free or almost free . Edited to add: ASO's pay close attention to how much or little interest these type of holistic services attract. If interest is low, monies will certainly go to other programs means means no more acupuncture. So, try out the cool new services and if you like them, spread the word
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 07:27:25 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:41:57 pm »
Accupuncture was available to people living with HIV at no cost until March 1, 2007 through the Alternative Medications program in Sonoma County.  That program was the first to go with the loss  of Title I funding.  Every employee of AIDS Inc. still has a job at the same level of pay but services to those living with HIV are being reduced or cut.  Alternative medicine was only the first.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Basquo

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 08:54:37 pm »
WOW!  I didn't know the Wright House offered that...I will definitely look into it.  I had acupuncture about 10 years ago when I was having lower back pain.  I left feeling no better, then about 10 minutes into the drive home it "kicked in," so to speak, and I have not had lower back problems since, until last Saturday, which means it's time to make the pilgimage to the Needle Shack!

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 09:05:49 pm »
See Basquo, don't say I ain't good for nothing ; )  I am certain there are a few in town who might suggest such a thing or two, but with your help we will dispense of their bodies in Lake Travis ; )

Yep, the Wright House.  Amazing!  There are a few non profit groups out there that are good for something and reach towards the light and don't sink into the darkness and wallow in it.

Give it a Whirl, you might be plesantly surprised.

As for your back issues returning out of the blue..........well I won't even begin to speculate on how that happened : )

Offline Nadine

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 06:07:27 am »
Today, the biggest difference was just a feeling of peace and deep relaxation.

sounds wonderful

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 08:00:11 am »
Sounds marvelous! Thanks for posting about your experience. I've wanted to try acupuncture myself for a long time and I'm sure I could afford 2 or 3 visits but not the ongoing treatments suggested by a local acupuncturist. It's great you have this resource in Austin.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 09:15:05 am »
I've had acupuncture done in the ears and I felt high for two or three hours!  I wish the ASO here would offer services like that.  A couple weekends ago, I had a Swedish massage done!  It was soooooooo nice.  I'm diabetic, though, and after I had the massage, my blood sugar crashed.  My niece, who is a nurse and CMT told me it was because massage makes the Insulin in the body work better.  Anyway, I'd have it done again every week if it was free or reduced cost! 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.