Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:19:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 641
Total: 641

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New pulmonary information  (Read 6809 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
New pulmonary information
« on: November 23, 2014, 10:45:12 pm »
Hey all, I am not sure if people saw the recent report at The Body about a study that found more people with HIV being diagnosed with COPD.
Not a big surprise, since many people with HIV smoke. But the report noted that even non-smokers seemed to be finding themselves with the diagnosis.

Since I already have that diagnosis, I was wondering how many of my fellow pozzies here have had the pleasure of that "discussion" with the doc?

Living with COPD is a challenge, at times. My particular brand of pulmonary problem is chronic bronchitis. So far, no sign of other complications.

Mine recently ramped up a bit because of a viral somethingorother that was going around.

Whatever that bug is, it put one person in the hospital, and even my doctor ended up needing an echocardiogram.

Apparently, this bug can result in abnormal amounts of fluid in the lungs, and, in some way, affecting the heart. My doctor is taking diuretics to help alleviate the liquids. He told me the Lasiks are causing him to piss up a storm.

So far, I have my viral lung thing in check. Routinely, I use Advair twice a day. Now I augment that, I now also use Ventolin (or whatever the name du jour is for it) a couple times a day as needed.

Its been about six weeks or so now, and it still hasn't cleared up. I'm sure it will, eventually.

That is why I'm curious about whether others have COPD and how they deal with it.

I have breathing issues on a good day, and something like this damn bug that has been going around makes them more of an issue.

So, anyone have any experience with this?

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:00:02 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline initforlife

Re: New pulmonary information
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:50:09 pm »
I have it too. was dx in Jan but I smoked off and on for years since I was 16 years old. I quit for like a year or two at a time then start back  this time I went from Jan till just a week ago with out smoking back doing it again. but I will quit again soon when I get tired of it .. plus my dr is having a cow about it
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline initforlife

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:25:35 pm »
I'm so sorry to the mods  I posted in wrong place again. I must pay more attention please don't give  mea time out . I will blame it on my really bad brain fog I have been having lately!
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:23:09 am »
I was having difficulty breathing and pain in my lungs and I finally stopped smoking and its made a huge difference already although Its only been 4 months smoke free . I had the reports you talk about and had become alarmed by the fact that although I was struggling to breath I still smoked ... I was ready and quitting was far easier than I feared it would be .

I am still affected from the years of chain smoking but hopefully its not copd, as that tends to get worse over time ... we shall see .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline aztecan

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:35:02 am »
Hey Jeff,

Good for you! Have you noticed your clothes smell fresher? I also noticed I ate more.

Quitting was easier once I made up my mind to do so. I am going on eight years now.

Yes, COPD does tend to get worse over time. Unfortunately, as in my case, damage done is damage done.

However, I still manage, usually, and I try not to let it dictate what my activities are going to be

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:38:41 am by aztecan »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 09:49:26 am »
Hey Jeff,

Good for you! Have you noticed your clothes smell fresher? I also noticed I ate more.

Quitting was easier once I made up my mind to do so. I am going on eight years now.

Yes, COPD does tend to get worse over time. Unfortunately, as in my case, damage done is damage done.

However, I still manage, usually, and I try not to let it dictate what my activities are going to be

HUGS,

Mark

Yes ! . I also bought a new truck and its nice to get into into it and not smell stale smoke .
I seem to be a little more sensitive to the smell of smoke on others now and it can make my head ache, that has never been the case before .

Best of luck holding your own with the copd Mark ... My doctor told me he has seen it not progress and even slightly abate despite what science has to say .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 11:04:10 am »

Since I already have that diagnosis, I was wondering how many of my fellow pozzies here have had the pleasure of that "discussion" with the doc?

Mark

Hi Mark,..

It's been at least 18 months, since I brought up the subject of COPD to both my primary care and ID doctor.

I was the one that initiated the conversation, because I was concerned with COPD because, I am past 60,

living with HIV for ( at that time for 27 years) ,  and being a former heavy smoker.

I've had a chest xray done, also had that breathing test done. ( forgot what it's called) Results were fine on both. My oxygen levels are always fine.

The doctors say my lungs sound clear, and breathing sounds fine.  I also never have dealt with bronchitis, asthma, or any other possible breathing disorders, throughout my life. ( Knock on wood) 

I also quit smoking over 23 years ago, at least I have that in my favor, but yes, I am somewhat concerned , that down the road,  I may develop COPD. I am still occasionally around second hand smoke, in the bar that we frequent.

I am not sure if this study was the one you were talking about, but I have a couple links on this from the Body:

http://www.thebodypro.com/content/74975/copd-may-be-common-and-underdiagnosed-in-people-li.html

http://www.thebodypro.com/content/75134/high-prevalence-of-copd-at-baseline-in-start-study.html

Hang tough Mark, and thanks for posting about this---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 11:08:34 am »
Hey Mark ,
Your right about the smell !  I was a heavy smoker also,
quit when I turned 50 . Will be ten years in March .
I would sometimes get winded for a few years after I quit.
doesn't seem to happen anymore.

I have a friend who has been trying to quit ,falls off the wagon still.
not an easy thing to do... tells me he's been sneaking cigs,
I tell him,  you aint sneaking nothing, could smell you when you walked in the door !
I'm no one to judge I was a smoker too.

You can't stop till YOUR ready ,and not for someone else.
Mark , I wish you luck controlling your COPD ,
Jeff congratulations on being smoke free !  I remember I ate like a pig at first
always hungry !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 11:12:35 am »

ojo    Hi guys...I never smoked in my life, according to my doctor, my lungs look like I were a heavy smoker, this is due to PCP.....good for you Aztecan and Jeff, no only you have a better sense of smelling, food taste better, maybe that is why you are eating more....no copd here....hugs    ojo

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 11:24:44 am »
Had a chest x-ray in June as part of pre-op for my knee.
that was clear , also monitored my O2 levels during my hospital stay,
those were normal also.

Only lung problems I've had was PCP when I was diagnosed .
Like Ray said though who knows what's down the road
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 11:28:40 am »
Hi Tony'
guess we were both posting at the same time,
Hope you're well ,Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 01:07:22 pm »
Had a chest x-ray in June as part of pre-op for my knee.
that was clear , also monitored my O2 levels during my hospital stay,
those were normal also.

Only lung problems I've had was PCP when I was diagnosed .
Like Ray said though who knows what's down the road

ojo   Hi Wade...I got PCP, four time...the first one was when I was dx'd, after that, I got three more episodes of PCP, although, I didn't have to go to the hospital, outpatient treatments...my doc , and the pulmologist said that there is a lot of scaring in my lungs, making look like if I were a heavy smoker, eventhough I have never smoked in my life...I just got rid of a bronchitis, now I'm ok, I I don't know what the future will bring, but, I'll be ready to fight it...hugs...ojo

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 01:13:03 pm »
Hi Tony'
guess we were both posting at the same time,
Hope you're well ,Wade

ojo    Hi Wade, I'm soing fine, still blind tho, and I got that awful eye pain again,, ufff I don't know if it is time to get rid of my blind eye...I want to die complete...how are yourself?...hugs     ojo

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 07:06:43 pm »
Hi Tony,
sorry your in pain with your eye, sounds terrible
I know from experience .
Hope things work out in Miami !
All my Best , Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline aztecan

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 10:18:24 pm »
Hey Jeff,

The second link was the story I saw. The first one was interesting as well.

I am hopeful the bronchitis doesn't worsen. I was diagnosed with it years before the COPD acronym came into vogue.

I am trying one thing to help reduce my risk. I am endeavoring to lose about 20 pounds.

Yes, Mother Mark has managed to gain too much weight and I feel it.

So, we'll see how it goes.

HUGS,

Mark

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.