Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:55:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 348
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: A few questions that need your expertise.  (Read 8034 times)

Offline GoingBatty

A few questions that need your expertise.
« on: September 13, 2006, 08:58:09 pm »
I have recently tested at 13 weeks out a negative result.  Which was somewhat relieving finally had unprotected sex with my wife after that result in celebration.  However, I am now extremely worried that I passed it on to her and feel guilty.  For the past  3 or 4 weeks, I have had some pain in under my jaw area and around my underarm area which I have concluded are my lymph nodes, I had them checked the first week I noticed and was told everything was fine.  My experience was protected vaginal and unprotected oral with a prostitute ( With the protected vaginal the condom slipping a few times.) I had also shaved my genitals prior to the sex with the pro.  Anyway here are my questions.

1.  Is it possible to develop ARS symptoms after 12 or 13 weeks?
2.  How can one tell their own lymph nodes are swollen?  <-- please answer this one its killing me.
3.  Does the sore throat come and go with ARS?
4.  Should I have waited to have sex with my wife and is she at any risk?
5.  Would further testing do me any good?
6.  Should I have one more negative test at 4 or 4.5 months and then forget about this?

Thank you for answering my questions, I really feel like I have something even though my tests show I am ok.  Thank you very much for your responses, I have yet to really be able ask anyone about this.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: A few questions that need your expertise.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 09:09:12 pm »
Batty,

A negative result at 13 weeks is conclusive. You don't have HIV infection. Therefore you can't have infected your wife. I suspect what you're experiencing is guilt because you've strayed. Perhaps you might like to speak to a counsellor about this.

Please understand that symptoms mean nothing when it comes to diagnosing HIV. Given that you've reliably tested negative, your symptoms are not caused by HIV. If you feel ill you should see your doctor.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

Regards,

MtD

Offline GoingBatty

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 09:11:27 pm »
I read the welcome thread, I just wanted to post some questions because I am truly going batty and want some reassurance.  I know my chances are pretty much 0, but these questions have been plaguing me and I really have felt like shit physically for the past weeks and want to rule out HIV.  Cheers.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 09:12:51 pm »
Batty,

Really this is about guilt. The way you're feeling is not uncommon in these situations. HIV has nothing to do with this, doll.

MtD

Offline GoingBatty

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 10:04:30 pm »
Thanks for the support and I know that guilt is affecting my brain but I still have been unsuccessful in getting any of these questions answered.  Please somebody help me out.

Offline hopefulforhelp

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 10:21:24 pm »
Hi ya Batty! I feel you pain with the anxiety and all, trust me I do! Listen to Matty, he knows what he's talking about... your health concerns have nothing to do with HIV. If it'll make you feel better, for specifics

1.  NO, they come within 2-4 weeks post exposure. All symptoms come all at once and go all at once
2.  You cant and poking them makes them worse, quick visit to your doctor will help
3.  NO, when youre stressed, you tend to breath thru your mouth... that will irritate your throat
4.  NO, you had no risk
5.  NO, 13 weeks is conclusive even by the ultra conservative CDC
6.  Forget about it now ; )

Again, sorry for hyjacking...

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 10:25:04 pm »
-sighs-

I was hoping that the answer I've given you would negate your need to have these responded to individually. I should have known better. I've been here long enough to know better.  ::)

Ok here we go.

1.  Is it possible to develop ARS symptoms after 12 or 13 weeks?

No. Symptoms of ARS arrive early in the seroconversion process, if at all. The came and go at once. You don't have ARS because you don't have HIV.

2.  How can one tell their own lymph nodes are swollen?  <-- please answer this one its killing me.

A doctor or appropriately qualified nurse can tell if your nodes are swollen by examining them physically. You should note that prodding and poking your lymph nodes will cause them to swell. Which is what you've been doing. Constantly. Is it not? LEAVE YOUR NODES ALONE.

3.  Does the sore throat come and go with ARS?

All the symptoms of ARS come and go at once.

4.  Should I have waited to have sex with my wife and is she at any risk?

Given that you've reliably tested negative, there was no need for you to wait longer than 13 weeks before having unprotected sex. No, you've not placed her at risk.

5.  Would further testing do me any good?

Only if you want to continue getting stabbed with a needle, receiving negative test results and wasting health resoruces.

6.  Should I have one more negative test at 4 or 4.5 months and then forget about this?

Given everything I've said to you thus far, I'm gonna let you work the answer to this one out on your own.

Ya dig?

MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 10:26:47 pm »
Hi ya Batty! I feel you pain with the anxiety and all, trust me I do! Listen to Matty, he knows what he's talking about... your health concerns have nothing to do with HIV. If it'll make you feel better, for specifics

1.  NO, they come within 2-4 weeks post exposure. All symptoms come all at once and go all at once
2.  You cant and poking them makes them worse, quick visit to your doctor will help
3.  NO, when youre stressed, you tend to breath thru your mouth... that will irritate your throat
4.  NO, you had no risk
5.  NO, 13 weeks is conclusive even by the ultra conservative CDC
6.  Forget about it now ; )

Again, sorry for hyjacking...

Hey Hopeful,

Why don't you listen to Matty when he tells you NOT TO HI-JACK OTHER PEOPLES THREADS!?!?! You're not an expert, you're in no position to give advice and you're an habitual offender in this regard. Please return to your own thread and stay there.

MtD

Offline hopefulforhelp

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 10:31:54 pm »
Sorrry Matty, tonight is the only time I chimed in on a couple of things, which I was correct about, otherwise I would have never spoke. Simply felt the need to help... wont anymore. Glad to see you can take a kinder tone with others at times ; ) take care.

Offline GoingBatty

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 10:42:31 pm »
Thanks for your reply obviously yes I have been poking at my lymph nodes the weird thing is they hurt regardless, I am really trying to overcome this and I pray I am negative and my mental state improves.  Hopefully at some point I will be able to stop testing.  Thanks for squash the bug without answering the questions but still answering them individually it just is killing me thinking I made such a poor decision with my life, I really hope I will be ok.  thanks again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 05:13:45 am »
Batty,

If your lymph nodes are causing you pain, why are you asking strangers on the internet to diagnose what's wrong instead of seeing your doctor? There isn't a person on the face of the earth who can diagnose you over the internet. You need to see someone in person.

You have reliably tested negative for a NO RISK situation. That's right, NO RISK. You never had a risk for hiv infection in the first place.

Getting a blowjob is NOT a risk. Not one person has ever become infected through getting blown and you will not be the first, no matter what sort of spin you can think of to put on it.

Having intercourse with an intact condom is also not a risk. As long as the head of your penis was covered, there would have been no way for the virus to infect you. Forget about the "slipping" and the "shaving" - it's the head of your penis that matters, not the shaft and not your shorn pubes.

And don't come back with "but it was a sex worker". It's not who you do, it's how you do it. You did the right thing and wore a condom for intercourse and condoms have been proven, PROVEN, to prevent hiv infection.

You tested conclusively negative over a no risk event. It's time for you to get to your doctor to find out what is really going on with your lymph nodes, because whatever it is, it is NOT hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GoingBatty

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 03:53:34 pm »
Well I am still having issues with my body I dont know what the deal is but it feels like problems with my lymph area.  The doctor said she couldnt feel anything and I tested negative again at 14 weeks via oraquick.  I wish this pain would go away around my armpit and chest area it is freaking me out.  Not to mention under my jaw feels weird, oh well I guess I will just deal or try to.

Offline GoingBatty

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 06:08:13 pm »
Sorry to be a whack job, but seriously how many people convert late after a 14 week negative? And oraquick is just as reliable as any other test correct? I can't imagine giving something to my wife...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 07:28:07 pm »
I've never heard of anyone test positive after 13 weeks. Yes Oraquick is just as reliable.

Offline GoingBatty

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 09:10:08 pm »
Thanks for answering Rod, the guilt is still killing me but hopefully I can soon get over this anxiety of testing.  I wish my body would stop acting weird so my brain could accept the results I have gotten. 

Offline GoingBatty

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 04:29:46 pm »
Well now I am at the point where I can ask... If I get a PCR test done would that rule out any possibility of seroconversion after 3 months?  I am just worried about that 1 or 3% chance my other tests have missed some weird strain.  Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 04:39:50 pm »
Batty,

You are hiv negative. You do not need a PCR. PCR testing is NOT approved for diagnostic purposes because they have a high rate of FALSE positive results. How do you think you'd feel if you got one of those?

You don't need further testing - you didn't need testing in the first place.

You are hiv negative. If you cannot accept that fact, then it's time for you to get some counseling for yourself.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.