Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:23:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 398
Total: 399

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Unbelievable...Options?  (Read 6468 times)

Offline remo85

Unbelievable...Options?
« on: January 04, 2023, 06:22:22 pm »
Hi guys!
Hope you had a great holiday season and happy new year to all.

I just wanna drop a line about something that's been happening to me.

I haven't been able to get my viral load for some years now. Basically, because the national healthcare system doesn't have the chemicals and equipment ("reactive" or whatever it is) to test the blood and get the viral load.

There is no center that can do the test except for one other that charges about $800 dollars to send the sample to the USA and get the results. That's not a viable option for me. I don't even want to know how people who earn minimum wage ($750) can even manage...

That said, I've been battling alcoholism for decades. Right before the diagnosis, I was just starting to go to AA/NA meetings. I was clean for a while but life has been really difficult for the past years and I've occasionally gone back to drinking. Point is, I understand that alcohol could affect the efficacy of the meds and therefore I need to know my viral load. And even if I wasn't an alcoholic I believe it's my right as a taxpayer to know. I shouldn't have to explain...

There's also that one time they did have the equipment and "reactive" to do the test, they drew my blood but LOST the sample.

At one point they didn't even have my medication for months so I had to start buying it for almost $100 a bottle... It drained me financially.

On top of all that I'm also battling depression and anxiety. Clinical.

I don't know what to do about this.

Some of you here have kindly talked to me and know I want to leave the country and relocate in big part because of this. I don't see a normal life for myself here with this disease. It's not possible and I don't believe I'm making a big deal out of this or exaggerating. It's not proper care what I can receive. Not a life.
And all that added to the fact that there are only like 15k people with HIV in the entire country, so the stigma and rejection are strong.

Isn't there an...organization or something that can help relocate people in my situation? I've tried doing all the research by myself to try and leave via a job or college course but there's always a big catch. The most impactful is that I can't land in a place where I can't be inserted into the healthcare system because I take other meds too. Otherwise, I'd jump on a plane and never come back here. No doubt. I don't care.

Any thoughts? Guidance?
Info?
Has someone experienced something similar?

Btw, I haven't skipped a pill since the diagnosis 5+ years ago so I'm guessing the load should be fine.. but what do I know?

---------------------------

Edit: I know I've probably mentioned some of this before on the forum but I wouldn't have brought it up again if I wasn't suicidally desperate about all this at this moment in time.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 06:29:25 pm by remo85 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Unbelievable...Options?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 06:48:09 pm »
Hiya.

End of the day here, midnight, In bed and so tired from the day that i've read some of your post s few times.
I'll reply tomorrow instead, I know we spoke a few times before, just didn't want to go to sleep without at least letting you know I'm not ignoring your post.

Sorry to hear that you are still struggling and in pain, know that you are not alone.

Hugs.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline remo85

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 07:06:27 pm »
Jim, you beautiful human.
Fun fact, I was thinking about you today, no kiddin.
Saw my GP today and since this is all I think about I discussed it with her and she suggested I move to Ireland. Of all places. Said it was "easy".

Thanks for writing. Looking forward to your message.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 05:01:49 am »
Jim, you beautiful human.

Well, that's a first.  ;D

Anyhow, you know I wish you well and we have spent time talking before. However, I am not going to sugar coat my reply too much to your post as that won't be helpful.

I've been battling alcoholism for decades. Right before the diagnosis, I was just starting to go to AA/NA meetings. I was clean for a while but life has been really difficult for the past years and I've occasionally gone back to drinking. Point is, I understand that alcohol could affect the efficacy of the meds and therefore I need to know my viral load. And even if I wasn't an alcoholic I believe it's my right as a taxpayer to know. I shouldn't have to explain...

It's no secret here that I'm an alcoholic, the problem with alcohol is not that it affects the meds, or at least not the ones you and I are taking but that alcoholics tend to be piss poor at taking them correctly and consistently and it's causing so many other problems.

It's completely understandable you want to know your viral load, though.

only like 15k people with HIV in the entire country, so the stigma and rejection are strong.

Well, not to be depressing, but unless you move to somewhere with a large % of the population is HIV positive, and where awareness might be more common, I think you are not going to escape the stigma of living with HIV, and rejection will always be part of life be it for HIV status or whatever reason.

I can't land in a place where I can't be inserted into the healthcare system because I take other meds too

Saw my GP today and since this is all I think about I discussed it with her and she suggested I move to Ireland. Of all places. Said it was "easy".

I'll be honest I don't know of any country with a social healthcare system where you can land and get care without contributing to their system or having some additional health insurance. That said people do move and manage through this.

If you really want to move, then you need to bite the bullet and do it. If I was you, I would make a list of the places in the world you can get a long-term visa or stay, and then once you have that list check out their HIV care and healthcare system and insurance requirements so you can narrow the list down. Most places have local/national NGOs that if you contact can help with those questions as well.

There isn't going to be a perfect fit, but at least you will have narrowed the list with your options down.

As for Ireland

Moving to Ireland and HIV treatment
https://www.hivireland.ie/living-with-hiv/moving-to-ireland-and-hiv/

Moving to Ireland - General healthcare
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/health_care_in_ireland.html

Moving to Ireland - Overview
https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/before_you_come_to_ireland.html

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 05:03:53 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 05:14:54 am »
Just to add, if you ever want to chat 1-to-1 let me know and ill set up a call. There is also a forum meeting on the 14th of Jan if you like to join https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=76748.0

Hugs.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.