Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:14:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 649
Total: 650

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: On my second bottle  (Read 10126 times)

Offline dancingthroughlife

On my second bottle
« on: August 04, 2021, 01:39:41 am »
Hi all,

Just opened my second bottle of meds, and realised it's been a full month since my diagnosis.

My diagnosis came as a surprise. Didn't have any risky behaviour, and the doctor was profoundly puzzled as well on what event could have caused the infection. While the diagnosis costed me my job (Another one of those countries that rejects any foreigners with HIV) - i am profoundly grateful of where I am at now. Friends and family are very supportive and doesn't care of how/what/why I got it. They were more concerned on whether I could accept the news and live with it. On hindsight, if it's not because of the mandatory test ordered, I wouldn't have known since I didn't experience any symptoms at all.

Gonna be an interesting journey ahead. Keeping a positive attitude and let's see where my life leads me to.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: On my second bottle
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 07:10:42 am »
Hiya,

Sorry to hear about the dignoisis. How is the treatment going and what are your labs looking like?

Best, Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

PozChilean

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 08:09:15 am »
It breaks my heart to see we are still facing job discrimination in so many countries because of our positive status.

Don't focus on how it happened and think about your long, bright future instead.

Offline eddieispoz

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 09:30:05 am »
Hi dancingthroughlife,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and loss of your job. Same thing happened to me, I got diagnosed a couple of months ago and had to leave the UAE because of it. I had lived and worked for many years, so I fully understand the double whammy of shock you are going through and yes, It sucks!

I am slowly coming to terms with it all. Sounds like you are too, which is good news. Pleased to hear that you have supportive family and friends, that’s all that really matters. You will get another job and live a successful and happy life somewhere else (somewhere much, much nicer!)

Good luck and embrace the next chapter, I’m sure it will be a good one.

Offline RMalongo

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 12:31:54 pm »
Guess we are a couple that were deported from the UAE… the worst experience ever for me as it cost me my work, my health (mental…) as a hurricane and now have to rebuild everything from scratch.

This said, Don’t worry, you will get over it (2 months for me now and already undetectable with Biktarvy after 6 weeks). Some days, I barely think about it. When I feel a bit down,  this forum is a blessing because it brings support :)

Focus on what you really want in your life and enjoy every day as this is my mantra now…

Take care

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 06:39:42 pm »

ojo.        Hello there!…well, the best thing about what happened to you is that you are hiv positive, now, you treat the virus, otherwise you may have gotten pretty sick and maybe even due…things happen for a reason…now, let’s see ahead, re-start and be discipline with your meds intake and adquiere a positive attitude, life goes on, because, even if you don’t believe me, there’s life after an hiv diagnosis, we are still the same persons just living with a virus that your meds will control the virus so you can take back control of your lives…good luck and please keep us posted…hugs

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 06:15:28 am »
Hiya,

Sorry to hear about the dignoisis. How is the treatment going and what are your labs looking like?

Best, Jim

The treatment seems to be going well. On Truvada + Raltegravir, and doesn't seem to be causing me any side effects.

Initial CD4 at 330 with VL at 40K copies. The doc commented it's consistent with early infection, so quite fortunate it's caught early on and I have started the treatment. Gonna see how the numbers look like next month.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 06:21:16 am »
Hi dancingthroughlife,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and loss of your job. Same thing happened to me, I got diagnosed a couple of months ago and had to leave the UAE because of it. I had lived and worked for many years, so I fully understand the double whammy of shock you are going through and yes, It sucks!

I am slowly coming to terms with it all. Sounds like you are too, which is good news. Pleased to hear that you have supportive family and friends, that’s all that really matters. You will get another job and live a successful and happy life somewhere else (somewhere much, much nicer!)

Good luck and embrace the next chapter, I’m sure it will be a good one.

Thanks! I read your intro and just really sorry to hear that. Guess we shared some common experience (though really unfortunate)!

Pleased to hear that you're coming to terms with it too. Won't deny that I had sleepless nights wondering how my life would be easier if I didn't get this. Then again, one would only grow stronger and kinder under challenges!

Definitely looking forward to seeing where my life will bring me next. For now, I'm more anxious about travelling under pandemic condition. But hey, gonna be a memorable experience still.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 06:23:03 am »

ojo.        Hello there!…well, the best thing about what happened to you is that you are hiv positive, now, you treat the virus, otherwise you may have gotten pretty sick and maybe even due…things happen for a reason…now, let’s see ahead, re-start and be discipline with your meds intake and adquiere a positive attitude, life goes on, because, even if you don’t believe me, there’s life after an hiv diagnosis, we are still the same persons just living with a virus that your meds will control the virus so you can take back control of your lives…good luck and please keep us posted…hugs

Thanks! Definitely, there is a life after an HIV diagnosis that is no different from anyone else.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 06:30:45 am »
Guess we are a couple that were deported from the UAE… the worst experience ever for me as it cost me my work, my health (mental…) as a hurricane and now have to rebuild everything from scratch.

This said, Don’t worry, you will get over it (2 months for me now and already undetectable with Biktarvy after 6 weeks). Some days, I barely think about it. When I feel a bit down,  this forum is a blessing because it brings support :)

Focus on what you really want in your life and enjoy every day as this is my mantra now…

Take care

Sorry to hear the hurricane you're going through but great to hear you've reached UD!

Will definitely keep your advice ~ enjoying every day and working towards my dream.

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 01:21:56 am »
Been about 8 months since, and just got my results. Undetectable with CD4 of 520. Found a terrific job that is challenging yet still provide some free time for my hobbies (downside it’s not doing any good to my waistline since my hobby is baking). Slowly creating new social circle, re-exploring my hometown (albeit not too much, still a lil paranoid of Covid).

Not gonna lie it’s tough to rebuild life after being forcefully uprooted so suddenly. Nonetheless, I would have been blind to opportunities back at my home country if i wasn’t forced out by this. Gotta say, i’ve been one lucky fella.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.