Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:46:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773217
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 504
Total: 507

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Weight?  (Read 4550 times)

Offline cars7465

Weight?
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:20:43 pm »
Ok, I just want to say I realize there is a very large problem with different wasting problems associated with being positive. My question isn't about that.
I'm a big guy. 5'8" 230 lbs. Lot of muscle, but just as much fat. I've got a belly. I've been on a great weight loss streak, in part i'm sure from being positive and not knowing, and from having celiac's disease (3 years ago I was diagnosed) and not being able to eat anything. I have to say, it's been awesome to lose so much weight and I hope it continues.
My question is this. Are there any positive people that are bigger, like myself? Or will I continue to drop pounds? My ID Doc seems to think it will slow down (not that it's been quick by any means, 70 pounds over the last 3 years). But I keep reading about the wasting problems with the new medications, and I guess I'm just wondering if there are any people out there who are able to maintain a healthy weight. And by healthy I mean whatever you want. Whatever weight you feel is healthy for yourself.
I'm not trying to start a war, or raise any issues, but every time I look for information about weight loss or gain related to HIV, all I find is wasting syndrome and how to counteract it.
Also apologies if I'm not in the correct thread.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Weight?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:22:01 am »

But I keep reading about the wasting problems with the new medications,

Really? Do you have any links to what you've been reading? I'm wracking my brains here and I can't recall reading anything about "wasting problems with the new meds". If anything, I've read individual reports of people worried that the meds are making them gain weight, but wasting? That's a new one on me.

Wasting associated with hiv is usually confined to people who had untreated hiv that went to aids and its associated illnesses. There's also lipoatrophy, but that is associated with the older meds that are (for the most part) no longer in use, not the newer meds.

If you've got wasting information about the new meds that I've managed to miss, please share - links please!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:36:29 am »
Look more to your celiac to place weight loss blame unless your hiv numbers are bad.

Your information is somewhat out of date

Positive people come in all shapes and sizes

Offline cars7465

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:38:04 am »
If you've got wasting information about the new meds that I've managed to miss, please share - links please!

Perhaps I'm interpreting the information I'm reading wrong. The last thing I read was linked on the main page of this site. I was under the impression that lypidtrophy was caused by the new medications, not the old ones. My mistake. I'm still learning.

And Zach, I do apologize if my information is out of date, but the information on the web is so scrambled, it's hard to find any current info besides what's on this site. I do search here for almost everything.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:52:56 am »

The last thing I read was linked on the main page of this site.

I looked at the front page and didn't see any articles that were obviously going to be what you're asking about - and I really don't have time to click on each article to hunt it down.

May I please make a suggestion? There is absolutely no problem with asking questions, but when something you read prompts you to ask a question, could you please provide a link so we're all on the same page and not having to second-guess you as to what you're actually asking about? It would make our life easier and it would give you better, more concise answers to your questions.  Win-win all round.

A good site for up-to-date hiv information is http://www.aidsmap.com/ another is http://i-base.info/ , and http://www.nat.org.uk/ is good too for basics. Those three are UK/European based, but it doesn't change the information. The only real differences are slight ones in preferred treatment protocols (specifically when to start), but the meds are the same meds, the hiv is the same hiv.

Some folks here like The Body, but I don't rate it very highly. But that's just my own opinion. I don't have a link because I don't have it bookmarked and I'm quite sure google works on your computer too. ;)

If you're reading something that makes you wonder about things, by all means bring it here - but provide a link! Thank you very much. :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 09:53:38 am »
I had wasting, but it was in like 1994, before the PI's came out that saved me and many others.  My numbers were bad, the HIV was basically out of control.  It took a while to recover from that. But I did recover.

If anything, I've gained weight since being on the latest meds (Stribild).  And even before that, when I was on Isentress and Truvada i gained weight.  So I wouldn't worry about wasting, not at all.  It all depends on your diet and exercise habits. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 11:44:26 am »
But I keep reading about the wasting problems with the new medications

Really? Where? On this forum? Anecdotal information is useless. There are no studies showing HIV-defining clinical wasting (read: defined as a weight loss of at least 10% in the presence of diarrhea or chronic weakness and documented fever for at least 30 days that is not attributable to a concurrent condition other than HIV infection itself) resulting from any "newer" HIV medications (we'll assume that to mean FDA approval in the past decade).
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 12:52:24 pm »
I agree with the others ... it does not sound like HIV meds are the blame for the weight loss . I would also like to add the reason we ask for links is to better help you understand what you are dealing with, so please do not misinterpret our attention to that detail as any thing other than helpful .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline cars7465

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 07:53:33 pm »
I looked back for what I had read, but it's gone.
Either way, I understand I was wrong, or misunderstood. If I come across it again I will post it for you all to read.
Sorry to not post it the first time. Will make sure I do next time.

Offline weasel

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 09:50:22 am »

Hello Cars , 
                         Nice to meet you , I'm about the same size as you :)

I actually wish the new meds caused weight loss .

Were I more motivated  in weight loss ; as I have in the past , I loose
    weight very fast . But eating is fun so I continue to get heavier :(
     My concern is where the weight goes , no longer on my ass :O   it
    has taken up residency in my middle  like a balloon !

You do not have to apologize for not linking !   The " Link Police "
   sound mean but they are just perfectionists in this  field of  knowing
   how to do what some of us never figured out :)

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.