Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:55:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773215
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: About to run out of meds  (Read 5851 times)

Offline cheo

About to run out of meds
« on: September 30, 2013, 02:43:36 pm »
Hi, everybody. First time posting here. Hope this is the right forum.

I moved to Atlanta, GA on July 26th from Cincinnati, OH. Had to apply for ADAP here. Despite my best efforts that didn't happen until Sept 2nd and the approval period is 6 to 8 weeks. So I don't expect any answer before Oct. 15th.

Back in Cincinnati and in a period of seven years, I was able to build a med cushion of about two months, that is about to run out this Oct 6th. I am trying to apply to Patient Assistance Programs (PAP) of every manufacturer but they ask for originals of the prescriptions and my Dr. report. And here is the problem with that: My former Dr. back in Cincinnati is hesitant to sign any form since I am no longer her patient; and the Dr. here in Atlanta won't see me until Oct. 17th (yes, two months a and a half to get to see a Dr. for the first time). Here they told me that they could give me Rx's for my meds (they still have to consult about it) and I will buy them out of my pocket.

I have been doing this through an authorize case manager provider and an authorized clinic in order to apply for ADAP.

So this post it's just to ask for fresh ideas about what to do. I don't know what else to do. Is there somebody here from Atlanta that can give me some ideas of where to go or who to talk to?

My current treatment is: Intelence, Isentress and Epzicon.

Thanks in advance for any help any of you can give me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:06:55 pm by cheo »

Offline cheo

Re: About to run out of meds
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 01:20:13 am »
So, I saw the Dr. today and he denied me the prescriptions. This was an informal appointment since the official is on Oct 17th. He has all my labs (CD4 650 and UD) and my medical history that I brought from Cincinnati, and still he refused to fill the Rx.

He told me that I will be OK if I stop my treatment for 10-15 days and that the claim that Abacavir can cause an allergic reaction if it's stopped and restarted is false.

So still left the possibility that my former Dr. back in Cincinnati can sent me the Rx's. I think she is still debating it, since she's not my Dr. anymore.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:53:21 am »
So, I saw the Dr. today and he denied me the prescriptions. This was an informal appointment since the official is on Oct 17th. He has all my labs (CD4 650 and UD) and my medical history that I brought from Cincinnati, and still he refused to fill the Rx.

He told me that I will be OK if I stop my treatment for 10-15 days and that the claim that Abacavir can cause an allergic reaction if it's stopped and restarted is false.

So still left the possibility that my former Dr. back in Cincinnati can sent me the Rx's. I think she is still debating it, since she's not my Dr. anymore.

Can you call your former doctor and get clarification? Seems like two people are giving you two very different sets of information.

I am not all tha tfamiliar with the drugs you mentioned, but perhaps someone who is familiar will be able to chime in and offer assistance.

I would carefully consider a physician who, knowing you have a verified HIV diagnosis and are on treatment, would not at least advance his patient meds while he waited for his or her official appointment.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 04:41:43 am »
I hope you find your meds and at a price you can afford.

Meanwhile, if I read your thread correctly, at the moment you are also missing just a prescription?  Whether or not you have the cash to buy the first month, out of pocket'???

Can't you go to an emergency room and get a prescription?  ANY doctor can prescribe HAART and if you have all your labs. Obviously its a drug and a treatment that works for you, I don't understand how any doctor can "deny" a prescription.  If you had this script, you are saying you could send it for patient assistance programs.  Something isn't adding up here. 

Your doc of many years in Ohio won't write a prescription?  Huh??? 

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:54:57 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline cheo

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 11:14:41 am »
I have been trying to get the prescriptions from either of the two Dr's that I know. I need  one prescription from every drug I'm taking: Intelence, Isentress and Epzicom. That will be three (3) prescriptions. THREE.

My new Dr won't give me any, and I think is just because of a procedural thing (state law, maybe? here in Georgia). He got the labs that were made here in Atlanta.

From my old Dr., I still waiting for an answer. The communication with these Dr's is through nurses and is extremely difficult to talk to them, even with the nurse. There have been a lot of voice messages and faxes (they won't give me a email) so I still hope she can give me the prescriptions this week.

And yes, if I had the prescription (one RX for every of the three drugs I'm taking, THREE) I could either apply for a PAP or buy them. But first I need the Rx's.

Can I really go to any ER and get the prescriptions? (the three (3) I need).

I hope this clarification adds up.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 04:01:56 pm »
What a frustrating situation! 
Well of course I can't be sure how it would go at the ER. My suggestion was based on distant observation that yeah, all the no's seem to be about the rules and restrictions of accessing a doctor through a clinic, me thinking they don't have to be responsive first to you, rather they must follow all the rules.. 
So what about a GP.  Or what about your husband's doctor or gp?  Any doctor can write a prescription if you pay for the visit.  That made me think, a GP or a face to face with a doc in an emergency room, with all your papers in a file. You need your medicine.  And Haart isn't a controlled medicine, to my knowledge...  It's expensive, but it's not dangerous or anything... That goes for the writing of the prescription as well as filling it.
But that list of your combo. Have you priced it? I mean it would be a couple grand for a month.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mikejh

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 10:33:06 pm »
I have gone to the ER here in NYC and got emergency prescription. I just had a print out from my pharmacy that I had been taking these Meds. And had no problems since they could see my last prescription date.
CD4   %
22 Sep 06   37     5  Started Atripla
5   Oct 06   82     9
1   Dec 06  258   13
25 Jan  07  263   14
1   May 07  403   18
6   Aug 07  438   22
7   Nov 07  417   19
30 jan   08  310   19
7   May  08  285   20
6   Aug  08  472   27
12  Nov 08  444   26
11  Feb  09 335    19
10  May  09  460  25
Jan 10 575 u/d
Feb 11 590 u/d
June 12 625 u/d
2013 646  u/d
2014 580 u/d
2015 590 u/d
2016 635 u/d
2017 620 u/d change to Genuvia
Jan 2018 580 u/d changed Triumeq
Feb 2019 620 u/d
March 2019 change

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.