Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:47:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 614
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: July 2019...  (Read 5542 times)

Offline flashdance

• Reach out and touch me....
July 2019...
« on: July 11, 2019, 12:20:32 pm »
So little posting for the last few weeks....on my return visit....I just had to open up a post and attempt to start some dialogue.

-1- Biktarvy...I wish everyone well with this and any other prescription. What do you think pushed Biktarvy to have such a vocal advertising? I would think Truvada may have proceeded Biktarvy with advertising...but I cannot recall any other "HIV med" using marketing at such a large level as these two meds. 

-2- With the chatter for reparations due to the history of slavery...should Longterm Survivors start asking about reparations for the history we have thankfully lived through?

-3- Since most of us are mature and have much experience...have you had any luck in trying to establish dialogue with individuals from younger generations? Since I seem to be surrounded by aged beauties...I feel like I am missing out on a dialogue that might change my perspective on things. Have any of you had any profound conversations with younger people concerning life and HIV?

I am just hoping to start some fresh conversations.
You are never alone...and if you start to feel lonely....search me out...or grab your cat!

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: July 2019...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 03:52:51 pm »
-1- Biktarvy
I am amazed by their advertising. I mean, percentage-wise there just aren't that many Americans living with HIV, so why nationally advertise any ARVs on television? It irks me as a PLWH who advocates for how health care is delivered to other PLWH to see that money spent on advertising when it could have been part of a price reduction strategy or a plan for providing more meds to people who currently aren't on meds.

-2- should Longterm Survivors start asking about reparations
ouch! comparing slavery to an epidemic is pretty shoddy logic. Slavery is something inhumane that someone did to other people. An epidemic is simply nature, biology, and a mild sprinkling of risk-taking. While descendants of slavery are still dealing with the detrimental historical repercussions (economical, political, social) of abuse to their ancestors, long term survivors should be thankful that science, health care, and pharmaceuticals thwarted a deadly virus. Until someone can figure out a way to legally demand that "Mother Nature" repay for the negative consequences of having only one of thousands of diseases, then no, there will be no reparations for LTSes. Just like the people who have survived ebola, influenza, cancer or the plague, our "reparation" is that we are still alive ;)

-3- Have any of you had any profound conversations with younger people concerning life and HIV?
all the time! I have volunteered with several clinics and several Ryan White programs for the last ten years. As a peer counselor, I have spoken with hundreds of young PLWH across North and South Carolina. My words of wisdom come down to this:

• whatever you imagined in your teens and 20s was probably never going to come to pass because life has an annoying habit of getting in the way. The object is to keep working towards your goals, or make new goals, whenever you hit a roadblock.
  • Anything can be made better. well except for death. You can't fix death but you can fix anything else. It's just going to take time and work. maybe a lot of time and a lot of work, but given enough effort anything can be made better. so get off your dead ass and start working.
  • Follow the money. always follow the money.
  • Don't take the meds and you'll die. Take the meds and go live you life.

oh, and I never ever tell them crap about pulling themselves up by their own bootstraps or any other wisdom from the previous generations. even though technically I was born at the end of the "baby boom", unfortunately the circumstances in my lifetime have been like those of "gen x" and the "millenials", so I commiserate about the ever-increasing, seemingly-unsolvable problems of employment/waging, climate, housing, healthcare, and politics

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline em

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 02:02:08 am »
I tried to contact a local AIDS organization. they sent me for some reason a psych contact referral? I was rather offended but not surprised.  I also thought that a more relatable method of explaining the rise and fall of the virus and the resulting conflict
 in an immune response that did not use two dimensional graphing might be worth telling. but alas it was not meant to be   

so I am here trying to reach others like myself

EM

Offline em

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 10:12:00 am »
the title july 2019,

I recall around 1990. A friend had said to me where do you see yourself in the future?

ten years twenty thirty ? I figured at that point,  that I would be lucky to have five years before dying

the date made me recall this old memory.  2019 who would have thunk it ?

EM

Offline flashdance

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 02:34:38 pm »
Thanks, Leatherman for the expounding upon the idea of reparations. Hopefully I have not offended anyone. That topic crossed my mind for some odd reason when the news was chatting about reparations...and Reagan was the next story....so my mind wandered. I have learned something, today....so tnx, Leatherman.

Thanks, em!! July 1990 was when I started popping AZT. who would have thunk that we are still kicking in 2019. The moment the doc announced my poz status...he laughed and asked if my will was ready. I swore at the time I would never die of HIV.
You are never alone...and if you start to feel lonely....search me out...or grab your cat!

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 08:10:10 pm »
I swore at the time I would never die of HIV.
LOL the opposite of me. I was resigned to dying both times I almost died. Of course, after I didn't die that second time ::) I figured I was just going to have to live with it... and that's what I've been doing ever since. ;D Now we're about to celebrate my Grandmother's 102nd birthday, and with me having inherited genes from her side of our family, I'm pretty happy/scared about being only halfway through my life :D

Hopefully I have not offended anyone.
I live in SC (you know, the first state to secede from the Union :( ) and I work with info and people representing PLWH dealing with the disparities of race, so the topic of reparations is touchy. I think you have to be a fool to not understand how slavery disaffected a huge portion of our population for generations; but many of my less educated (SC is 49th in education) neighbors (the white ones with the Rebel flag flying off the back of their pickup trucks) aren't too keen on reparations... or anything that requires an intellectual discussion seeking reasonable resolutions.

and Reagan was the next story....so my mind wandered.
I don't know if LTSes need reparations but there are about 658,507* people in the USA who have died of AIDS who might not have died (from either the slow start to dealing with the epidemic to the stigma and lack of access today that keeps people from getting meds in time) who deserve reparations. Unfortunately resurrection is not a real medical treatment/reparation.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_the_United_States
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline flashdance

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 12:08:29 pm »
Tnx for another great response, leatherman....you stated things perfectly.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.