Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:44:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773266
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 338
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fast and Irregular Heart Beats.  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Bunny

Fast and Irregular Heart Beats.
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:24:34 am »
Frnds...
In my 2D Echo test Impression.
Mitral Valve Prolapse, Trival Mitral Valve Regurgitation, Pericardial Effussion,
These are any serious conditions?.
I put on Metoprolol Succinate and ivabradine for 15 days. Do I need any surgery for this.

Regards,

Bunny..
March 2019 - CD4 - 863

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Fast and Irregular Heart Beats.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 11:01:58 am »
Hi Bunny,
I have mitral and tricuspid valve prolapse and take the same med, Metoprolol, you do.  I have not needed surgery, and I was diagnosed with this over 30 years ago.  The medication evened out the fluttering heart beat, and hopefully the meds will help you also.

I'm not saying you never need surgery for this; I've known a couple people who have.  But I wouldn't be overly concerned.  I know that's easier said than done-after all, it's the heart that's involved.  But, if your doctor thinks medication will help, than I wouldn't get too worried about having to have surgery at this point.

Of course it could change, but as long as you and your doctor keep things looked after, it shouldn't cause too many problems.  Good luck with the meds!

Betty

Edited to add: I just reminded myself you said you have pericardial effusion.  I am not familiar with that, so maybe someone else who is will chime in. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:04:10 am by BT65 »
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:52:05 am »
Mitral Valve prolapse is quite common (I have it), and mostly a benign issue, though your doctor should make this determination.  I also have some minor regurgitation on the mitral valve. You need to stay well hydrated with valve prolapse so the valves can stay nice and "workable", so be sure you are drinking plenty of water.

I'm not familiar with the effusion condition you cite.

I am on Metroprolol not for the above issues, but for Premature Atrial Contractions which are like extra heart beats. The Metro slows down the beats and totally erases the extra contractions. Metro, for me, is easy to take and well tolerated.

As Betty says, I wouldnt get too worked up over surgery if your Doc doesn't deem it necessary. Just listen to doc and heed his orders and you should be fine.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Bunny

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 02:21:41 am »
Thanks WillyWump,Betty,

Today I am visited to cardiologist.
My heart beats are quite fast (129) with irregular basis when resting position.
one more drug added Ivabradine - 5 mg.
ECG shows some abnormalities.

March 2019 - CD4 - 863

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.