Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:22:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 454
Total: 456

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Chronic Immune Activation, Diet and Sun  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
Chronic Immune Activation, Diet and Sun
« on: August 14, 2012, 06:09:25 pm »
For many of us HIV causes chronic immune activation. A bad diet and exposure to UV rays in sunlight can exacerbate our condition and that's the bottom line for us.

http://stke.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/sigtrans;5/237/ec213

Sci. Signal., 14 August 2012
Vol. 5, Issue 237, p. ec213
[DOI: 10.1126/scisignal.2003493]

EDITORS' CHOICE

Immunology
How Diet and Sun Promote Inflammation

Wei Wong

Science Signaling, AAAS, Washington, DC 20005, USA

A pair of papers identifies endogenously produced danger-associated molecular patterns that activate Toll-like receptors (TLRs) 3 and 4, which stimulate inflammatory responses through the transcription factor NF-B (nuclear factor B). Excessive amounts of free fatty acids (FFAs) trigger insulin resistance by activating TLR4; however, FFAs do not directly interact with TLR4. In the first paper, Pal et al. (see also Heinrichsdorff and Olefsky) showed that activation of TLR4 by FFAs requires fetuin-A (FetA), a glycoprotein secreted by the liver that is a biomarker of chronic inflammatory diseases. Morpholino-based gene knockdown in mice of FetA (FetAKD) or Tlr4 (Tlr4KD) prevented the development of insulin resistance caused by a high-fat diet and also reduced activation of NF-B and production of messenger RNAs encoding inflammatory cytokines, such as interleukin 6 (IL-6) and tumor necrosis factor–α (TNF-α). The resistance of FetAKD mice to high-fat diet–induced insulin resistance was attenuated by treatment with purified FetA. Treatment of 3T3L1 mouse adipocytes with the free fatty acid palmitate increased the activity of NF-B and expression of IL-6 and TNF-α only in the presence of FetA, effects that were abrogated by the TLR4 inhibitor CLI-095. The leucine-rich repeat regions 2 and 6 of TLR4 were required for binding to FetA. The glycan residues of lipopolysaccharide are required for binding to TLR4 and, similarly, forms of FetA lacking the terminal carbohydrate moieties did not increase the activity of an NF-B reporter gene in HEK cells or trigger insulin resistance in response to FFAs in adipocytes........
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Chronic Immune Activation, Diet and Sun
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 08:23:54 pm »
I had a violent seroconversion that came on when I was gardening in the hot sun. 
Since I have been HIV+, i often don't feel comfortable in direct sun. I love sunny days but especially in spring and summer, I find myself walking on the shady side of the street, and sitting in the shade at the park, pool, and beach.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 08:53:11 pm »
dang! another way my tan is killing me ;D

the sun actually makes me "feel" much better (happier and healthier), so I'm sad to hear this. The only time the sun ever had a noticeable adverse effect was when the sun interacted with the Bactrim to give me sunburn not a tan (back in the late 90s).
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline MiniPozToyota

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:34:11 pm »
It's fine to lay out in the sun at the pool hell I even use dark tannin oils to get darker, you just don't want to get sun burnt over and over. I'll go to the pool about 2-3 times a week for roughly about 2.5 hrs, but if you want to be a HIV positive vampire go ahead and stay inside :) although someone will think vampires are sexy haha
April 2010- tested neg.
April 1 2011 -  CD4 346 VL 46856 22%
July 27 2011- Started Atripla
(Meds are good) needed more space to update been UD now for three years. Current down below
Jun 5 2014 - CD4 704 VL UD % 44.0

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:49:53 pm »
I'll go to the pool about 2-3 times a week for roughly about 2.5 hrs,
sounds like my schedule between the pool and yardwork  ;)

although someone will think vampires are sexy haha
only if they DON'T sparkle  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline MiniPozToyota

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 10:06:25 pm »
0o0o0o0 sparkle!!! Lol but their so pretty haha 8)
April 2010- tested neg.
April 1 2011 -  CD4 346 VL 46856 22%
July 27 2011- Started Atripla
(Meds are good) needed more space to update been UD now for three years. Current down below
Jun 5 2014 - CD4 704 VL UD % 44.0

Offline elf

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 06:38:43 pm »
Sun exposure leads to higher levels of interkeukin-7, which is a promoter of HIV-replication. You want high levels of interleukin-2 (which blocks HIV replication), and not IL-7.  :)

Darkness and melatonin supplementation make IL-2 go up (and IL-7 go down).  :)

Sun exposure can cure many skin conditions (as if it were a corticosteroid) because it acts as an immunosuppressant.

I guess, in 10 years' time, when HIV-from-the-latent-reservoirs activation drugs
will be used (to eradicate the virus), the sun exposure will be fashionable again.
But, for the time being, we should avoid it. ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:49:11 pm by elf »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 09:03:07 am »
Avoiding the sun too much can seriously deplete your vitamin D levels.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 09:19:38 am »
I believe my first doctor upon diagnosis in the 80's suggested getting as much sun as possible.  Or it could be a false memory :o  My memory portion of my brain is fading daily.

I've met many of the LTS in person and most of us don't look like we avoid the sun.  Not exactly relevant to any studies, but I'll never deny myself the chance to tan.  I'd rather die with a nice bronzed tan than a pasty ass white body. ;D

I can't recall which previous drug it is, but one of them caused me to burn pretty badly and it was the only period where I had to use screen/bronzer. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 09:50:03 am »
i get very little sun myself...im a redhead so sun doesn't agree with my skin, i only burn and never tan.  so i stay out of it as much as possible or i use high SPF lotion.  The sun is dangerous to the skin and the older you get the worse it gets.

Has anyone seen those old men and women walking around with skin that looks like it could crack at any moment....not attractive... my ex is the same age as myself 41 and he looks like he is at least 10yrs older than he actually is.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 10:21:06 am »
The good news is that fair-skinned people need less sun to produce vitamin D than darker-skinned people. The darker you are, the more sun you need for vitamin D production. Even just a few minutes in strong sunlight will normally do it for the fair-skinned. Sun-block products also block the specific rays that are needed to produce vitamin D, so think about having five minutes or so in the sun before slapping on the block.

Has anyone seen those old men and women walking around with skin that looks like it could crack at any moment....not attractive...

You're not kidding. When I was a teenager in Ohio, our next-door neighbour was a sun worshiper. She was naturally blond and fair-skinned; I saw her wedding photos from long before she began her tanning obsession. When I knew her, her skin looked like old, dry, neglected leather, even during the winter months when she couldn't be out in the sun all day.

She died of skin cancer (surprise surprise) about a year after I left home. Turned out she was only 50 when she died, but she looked like she was easily in her late 70s or early 80s - years before she got sick. It was a shame. She was a nice lady and she died far too young.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.