Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 11:49:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773500
  • Total Topics: 66376
  • Online Today: 408
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 280
Total: 280

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Insurance co-pay question(Newb)  (Read 4351 times)

Offline DK57

Insurance co-pay question(Newb)
« on: March 01, 2017, 07:58:13 pm »
 Hello all, been lurking for a month and have put off properly introducing myself until my 1 month Dr visit which happens to be tomorrow. Wish me luck!!
 So my question is with the ViiV discount coupon for Triumeq good for 6k a year and my insurance(BCBS) capping meds coverage at 3k per year it looks like after 4-5 months my only option is to pay out of pocket? How do people afford this? Am I missing something? I hope so...LOL I'll post my numbers and story when I get them in a new thread. Thanks for any advice.

Offline FarmBoy

Re: Insurance co-pay question(Newb)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:36:35 pm »
DK57,

It'll take awhile to figure out but you should be OK from an insurance viewpoint.  Sounds like you're in the US.  Under the 2010 ACA law, presecription drug coverage is an essential benefit that insurance must cover and they can no longer have maximum payment caps.  So check your coverage summary closer. It may say that you have to cover the $3k deductible on drugs before insurance will start paying.  I also have an employer provided BCBS plan.  Mine has a $3500 deductible which includes drugs.  So must pay that amount before insurance starts to cover.  On your first prescription fill, make sure the pharmacy has the Viiv Copay card along with your insurance card.  When they run it through insurance, it will show you owe the full $2600+ for 1 month of Triumeq, then the Viiv copay card will pay that and you'll owe nothing.  On my next refill if you have no other medical expenses, then in my case insurance says I owe $900 (3500-2600 already payed of my deductible) and insurance pays the rest.  Viiv copay pays the $900 and I owe $0.  On the 3rd and subsequent months, I owe the $50 copay for specialty drugs and the Viiv copay pays that each time, until they have payed $6k max or you have reached the max out of pocket expense stated in your insurance plan.  I've found that if I fill the Triumeq the first of the year and then get an early refill late in January, Viiv is paying almost all of my deductible and then I have all medical expenses "free" for me and my family of 5 the rest of the year.  It's really a good deal.

Best of luck with your appointment and hope to hear more from you.  Get on the Triumeq and get to UD.  It works great.
7/25/16 - Infected
8/4/16 - Sero-conversion started (flu, then fever, fatigue most of August)
8/29/16 - hospitalized O.N. for dehydration; tested
9/1/16 - Dx'd (confirmed WB 9/2)
9/6/16 - CD4 1395 (15%); VL 275,904; genotyped
10/5/16 - CD4 800 (27%) Started on Triumeq
11/2/16 - CD4 699 (26%); VL <20
1/11/17 - no CD4; VL <20
5/17/17 - CD4 742 (22%); VL <20
11/15/17 - CD4 745 (33%); VL <20
5/16/18 - no CD4; VL <20
11/28/18 - no CD4; VL <20
05/29/19 - no CD4; VL <20
07/01/19 - switched to Dovato
11/20/19 - CD4 835 (32%); VL <20

Offline DK57

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 06:37:03 pm »
 Thanks FarmBoy. Maybe laws vary from state to state(Texas). I verified today that it was indeed a 3000.00 drug benefit cap....Basically my 1st month of Rx's. Applying for the "PAP" thru ViiV and I make to much by 900.00...Rough day. I'll try again tomorrow, just kinda sux to not know where your next RX is coming from. Thanks again for your help!

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 09:39:09 am »
Does you plan have an annual "Max out of pocket" limit?  Meaning, once you've paid $XXX the plan covers everything at 100%.

Offline DK57

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 01:14:45 pm »
 It does on the medical side but not the pharmaceutical side. I seem to be caught in the middle....I am self employed and make decent(below 6 figures) money but no where near enough to afford 100.00 a day for meds.....the alternative isn't that great either....lol

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.