Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:38:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 530
Total: 533

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Risk and Oraquick/other testing reliability  (Read 3230 times)

Offline GuyWithConcerns

• Standard
Risk and Oraquick/other testing reliability
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:56:28 am »
Like so many, first let me express major thanks for all that this site supports. I know from reading so many posts here how extremely valuable not only the information is, but the personal response. It means the world to so many who are confused, worried, or more. I almost didn't post, because I have now spent so much time (probably way too much) reading not just this forum, but other sites in general, that I think I probably already know the answer, but just would greatly appreciate the personal confirmation.  Here's my background on risk, plus my questions on testing. 

I'm a bi guy in his 40's, generally very good regular health overall.  I see my doctor regularly for checkups, etc.  I have good oral hygiene as well, with regular dental visits each twice a year.  I'm not regularly sexually active with others, and go long periods between encounters. I haven't had vaginal sex in quite a while, but when i do, it's always with protection.  I'm frankly not that interested in anal sex, and have only tried to top a guy a couple of times, always with protection, and it's been a long time ago.  Never tried to bottom, and don't intend to.  I met up with another guy recently that I only knew casually, and after quite a few drinks, we ended up hooking up one evening.  Considerable deep/intense kissing occurred, which I realize is no risk, plus lots of mutual masturbation, also no risk.  We did engage in a couple of round of mutual oral (both giving and receiving).  Neither of us ejaculated in the other's mouth, though of course I realize pre-cum could be (and likely was) present.  I've read all of the risks on oral so much, I again realize this also is little to no risk for HIV.  I know that receiving oral carries no risk, and giving poses only theoretical risk, with limited confirmed cases. I also understand that outside of HIV, other STI/STD transmissions could occur.

About 2-3 weeks after, I developed tonsillitis only.  No other symptoms. Being an excessive worrier, it's had my mind on a path of constant questioning and worrying, because the tonsillitis has continued almost 2 months, again with no other symptoms.  I do understand you don't diagnose, I just wanted to lay that out there for context.  I asked my friend if he thought I had reason for any concern from anything we did and if he was STD free, and he said yes, though I realize you can't really know.  My concerns and fear pushed me to the point I felt I should get HIV tested, so I purchased an Oraquick swab test.  I took it literally 50 days after the experience.  I believe I performed the test accurately per instructions, and the indicator showed a negative result. I know the recommended testing window is 3 months/12 weeks, and that I did it earlier than recommended, but I've read a ton about conversion timing and antibody production, and seems that at just over the 7 week mark (the 50 days), my negative result should be very reliably conclusive. Nothing is 100%, but 95% or better.  All of this still hasn't stopped the worrying in the back of my mind, because of my tonsil issues continuing, along with the fact I don't know if i trust the oral swab test due to both the method (non-blood) and the timing in which I took it. 

With all of that information, can you give me any other basis of opinion on the reliability of the Oraquick home swab test I took?  Meanwhile, I've also purchased a Home Access blood prick test to mail-in for testing.  I know they express the same 3 month/12-week parameters as Oraquick. I am quickly coming up on 12 weeks (I'm just over 11 weeks), and wonder if I could/should go ahead and take the Home Access test "now" and get my express results to maybe put my fears to bed, or really wait until early next week?  I'd love to take this test, hopefully get a negative result, and move on with my life, but just want to make sure I'm not doing it too early to get that level of confidence. 

Thanks for bearing with my long story, but hopefully if others read it, it will give them a conclusive answer and direction as well if in similar circumstances.  I really appreciate the help from this forum. 

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Risk and Oraquick/other testing reliability
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 12:00:07 pm »
You are overly worrying without reason. HIV does not cause tonsillitis.

Anyway test at 3 months post the incident that has you concerned with an approved (FDA) test kit for peace of mind. The kits simply look to confirm a negative result past the window period any other results require follow up testing. They are calibrated and required to show accuracy after the window period.

Remember to test as routine at least yearly, I know you said you see your doctor for check ups but unless it includes specific HIV and STI testing the check ups mean nothing in regards to STI,s.

You will be supprised the number of people I meet who claim to have been negative before but when questioned they mistakenly think they are tested in routine doctors vista or WBC results when neither would pick up on HIV.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:26:07 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline GuyWithConcerns

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:57:37 pm »
Jim - Thanks for such a fast reply.  Your response is really helpful and appreciated.  I'm  not surprised how many people go to their general physicians for physicals and check-ups, but are not having testing for STIs, and really don't know either their HIV or other STD status. While I have regular comprehensive blood work performed to keep up with cholesterol and other common things, I'd have to ask my doctor to specifically run other STI tests, which I wish would just be part of all regular health wellness testing for people. I haven't had STI tests done in a while, but will ask for it soon. I hope more people will do the same.

To my specific testing question, and for the benefit of other readers here, can you comment on my negative Oraquick (FDA approved) swab results at 7 weeks?  I read a lot about how testing companies need to legally protect themselves by using the 3 month/12 week mark, and that makes complete sense, but if there are general guidelines at effectiveness at earlier points, it sure seems like it would be good if they could state that in their literature (with the obvious caveats and such about the need to re-test, etc.). Seems it might help cut down on the high volume of questions from people on this site and elsewhere. Also, just for my own peace of mind, if I take the FDA approved Home Access blood test later this week, just a couple of days shy of the 12 week mark, and the result remains negative, is that sufficiently conclusive? 

Thank you very much again!  Great work being done by you and others on this site!!

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 01:38:14 pm »
I will come back to you shortly. It's a long answer and i am on my mobile phone.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 02:59:45 pm »
Firstly don't worry about the other readers, it not the reason were here.

can you comment on my negative Oraquick (FDA approved) swab results at 7 weeks?

Look any negative result is nice to have, but its in the window period in terms of testing and hence repeat at 3 months to confirm the result.

I read a lot about how testing companies need to legally protect themselves by using the 3 month/12 week mark, and that makes complete sense, but if there are general guidelines at effectiveness at earlier points

Not really, see even the gen 2 tests could detect the majority of peoples results well before the 3 months mark, however you will always have outliers and hence the 3 months as some people take longer to reach a detectable level of antibodies.

As for more modern testing although better its still the case that outliers can take up-to 3 months to reach detectable levels. The home kits you have have been tested and approved and are using a gen 3 antibody test.

See with this test type (not company or test specific) the antibodies can be detected on average between by day 22-28 but average results are just that an average meaning some people take longer and a test that misses half of infections is not very useful.

Hence retest at 3 months.

Coming back to your scenario, (and the scope of the forum page) you have no reason to run out and test in the first place, the only reason you are testing is for peace of mind. Normally i would tell you to move on and just test when next due for a regular STI & HIV testing, and if you don't do it regularly than do it at least yearly.

You are simply way overthinking this. 

Jim
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:19:53 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline GuyWithConcerns

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 03:27:22 pm »
Thanks for the detailed response and good advice.  I know that I'm making more out of my situation than need be, just sometimes it's hard to accept your own rationalizing on such an important issue without hearing it directly from an independent source such as yourself.  i'll test again soon at the mark, and move on from there.  Thanks again for your feedback.  Very much appreciated. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.