Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:57:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 616
Total: 616

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Name based HIV reporting  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Stoptrackingus

• Standard
Name based HIV reporting
« on: October 01, 2021, 07:27:14 pm »
All 50 states in the USA currently use a name based reporting system to track HIV infections, this means your doctor and the labs are obligated by law to report all positive cases to state and or local health departments by name, who further continue to collect information over the course of your life. This seems it would be a barrier to testing and treatment in my eyes and I was curious as to what the poz community thought of this? Linked below is the CDCs information about it.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/surveillance/index.html
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 07:31:32 pm by Stoptrackingus »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Name based HIV reporting
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 08:23:51 pm »
This seems it would be a barrier to testing and treatment
This information is tracked through each state's Ryan White Program. This data is used to determine allocation funding, determine disparities in prevention and treatment programs, and to create interventions on federal, state, local, and provider levels to improve the quality of care and treatment for PLWH and prevention of further HIV transmission. All of this data is protected under HIPAA laws, and all of this data is name-redacted for all Ryan White quality management programs. Beyond a local provider's office, almost all personal information is stripped from this data.

https://hab.hrsa.gov/clinical-quality-management
https://hab.hrsa.gov/clinical-quality-management

Data about recently diagnosed persons is transmitted from the provider to the local health department which helps to ensure patients have been informed about treatment providers, and the need to not transmit the virus to others. This data is used anonymously in contact tracing to reach out to people who could be at risk of being infected to try to encourage and increase testing; thereby getting more patients into treatment earlier and hopefully reducing the further transmission of HIV.

https://www.thebodypro.com/article/what-is-hiv-contact-tracing-and-why-is-it-importan

I've been a part of both the South and North Carolina state health department's Ryan White Programs (along with attending numerous conventions, conferences, etc) and personal data has never been available. Beyond a local provider (and an initial notification to the local health dpt for contact tracing), only aggregate data is available.

I would certainly suggest that you speak with your provider about the local Ryan White program so that you could learn more about how this data is utilized and how the Ryan White Care system works. Technically every provider should have a consumer work group for PLWH, or be able to link you to the local Ryan White quality management group. PLWH are encouraged to learn more, monitor the program locally or at the state level, and get involved in developing interventions and representing the needs of PLWH. Your concern for the protection of personal data is certainly something you could advocate for.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Matths

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 09:24:29 pm »
Hello, thanks for raising this interesting topic. Reading the surveillance article it says repeatedly that only de-identified data are reported. I知 confused now that the possibility is raised that personal identifiers are reported. Where does this assumption come from?

From a surveillance perspective, reporting identifiable data doesn稚 make any sense since they don稚 contain informations which add in any shape or form anything useful. That痴 why I知 puzzled that the possibility is raised that identifiable information is reported. Can you please clarify, thanks Matt

Offline Stoptrackingus

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 09:30:31 pm »
The information sent to the cdc is de-identified, the names are stored at a state level. Check into the hiv surveillance program in your state.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 11:13:04 pm »
This information is tracked through each state's Ryan White Program. This data is used to determine allocation funding, determine disparities in prevention and treatment programs, and to create interventions on federal, state, local, and provider levels to improve the quality of care and treatment for PLWH and prevention of further HIV transmission. All of this data is protected under HIPAA laws, and all of this data is name-redacted for all Ryan White quality management programs. Beyond a local provider's office, almost all personal information is stripped from this data.

A similar process in the EU nations & the identifiable data is protected by GDPR. Ireland for example has a list of illnesses that need to be reported. It would not surprise me if the US would have similar.

https://www.hpsc.ie/notifiablediseases/listofnotifiablediseases/

The de-identified data is then shared with the ECDC by the EU nations and Central Asia to understand gaps, progress and if a region requires any additional support etc. Nothing to stress about.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/all-topics-zhiv-infection-and-aidsprevention-and-control/monitoring-implementation-dublin

@Stoptrackingus

Are you living with HIV?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 08:21:31 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Stoptrackingus

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 10:34:17 am »
No, I知 negative, but professionally I知 a patient advocate, this was recently brought to my attention by someone refusing testing, and I知 just curious what others felt about it. It seems to me that information is collected about many illnesses without such invasive oversight and that if this is a barrier to care that it is inappropriate.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 11:30:35 am »
I知 just curious what others felt about it. It seems to me that information is collected about many illnesses without such invasive oversight and that if this is a barrier to care that it is inappropriate.
as I mentioned before, you should definitely speak with your state's Ryan White department to understand how this information is collected and used. Great improvements in prevention, care and treatment have been made and is made yearly with this data; not to mention this data collection is part of the oversight of the Ryan White Care Act, and has been since it's inception in 1990, with the backing of people living with HIV.

I believe that by learning more about how HIV prevention, care and treatment is given, tracked, managed, improved, and proven effective, by state officials (with more than my experienced layman knowledge), you will understand that this data tracking has actually reduced the spread of HIV, increased testing, and improved prevention and treatment. Ryan White officials can help you be a better patient advocate with a better understanding of how and why this data is collected and used, so you can better explain it to patients who are concerned about this issue when requesting testing.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 01:37:15 pm »
No, I知 negative, but professionally I知 a patient advocate, this was recently brought to my attention by someone refusing testing, and I知 just curious what others felt about it. It seems to me that information is collected about many illnesses without such invasive oversight and that if this is a barrier to care that it is inappropriate.

>:(

As the forum admin, I have to maintain a level of politeness, so ill just say, don't post here again. This forum is for people living with HIV.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:46:19 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 04:59:02 pm »
I have to admit that being hiv+ and tracked by the government isn't surprising at all.

If you get your medication from a Walgreens, you're also in their corporate data base, along with everyone else.

With all the googling hiv this, and hiv that, I'm pretty sure my status is known in plenty of databases.. by name.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 10:50:08 am »
Locking this thread as the OP can't participate. However, if a forum member living with HIV wants to open a new thread on this topic they are welcome to do so.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.