Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:38:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 634
Total: 634

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Back Home  (Read 5622 times)

Offline Christine

Back Home
« on: March 03, 2007, 07:15:39 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I am back home from the hospital. It was a really, really long week. Thank you so much for all your good thoughts and prayers. Chris printed out your replies and brought them to the hospital. My Mom read them, and started to cry, and said she was glad you were all here so I can have someone to talk to who understands.

I feel okay. The AZT in the Trizivir caused my red and white blood cells to crash, and because of that I became severely dehydrated. I was drinking lots of fluids, but my body was not absorbing them. I had a horrible neck headache, and the Doctor first thought it was meningitis. they did a MRI, and it came back normal, then all the blood work came back normal except the red/white blood cells, and the electrolytes.

So I got fluids and an IV antibiotic since my white counts were almost nothing. And of course with my great luck, I had a reaction to the antibiotic- rash, fever. Then I had a reaction to a pain killer - rigors - uncontrollable shaking of the whole body. Which didn't hurt, it was just weird feeling. A shot of Demerol stopped it.

I got 4 bags of blood without a problem to help bring my hematocrit up, which it did slowly. I think it is at 9.5 now. On bag number 5, allergic reaction again. Rash, fever. I didn't know you can get a reaction to blood.

For the white blood counts, I am taking Neupogen shots. I was at .4 and now it is at 1100.

But, the worst part of all of it was the ID appointment last Thursday. I was admitted though the ID clinic into the hospital after my appointment, but during the appointment the doctor had the talk with me that I knew would come some day, but I just didn't want to hear it.

She asked me where I was at in treatment. We discussed that I am in salvage therapy, and it will come to a day that nothing will work. Which I know. She asked me if I was able to continue the fight, if I wanted to continue the fight.

When I was first diagnosed, I remember thinking that I would fight as long as I could, and would stop when I felt at peace with the forthcoming end.

I don't have that feeling of peace yet. I still have that fight left in me. It's not as strong as it was, but it is still there.

So I told all this to the ID doctor, and went over my living will and durable power of health. My Mom was with me in the room, and I wish she wasn't. That isn't something any parent should have to see and hear.

I have a followup Tuesday, and an appointment in the Infusion room for fluids if needed.

Over all I feel okay, just really tired, and I still have some residual rash on my arms.

Thanks again for being so kind to Chris, and for sending all your well wishes. You may not think a simple post can mean much, but when you're in a hospital bed hooked up to IV's they meant more to me than I can ever tell all of you.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Alain

• I am.
Re: Back Home
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 07:19:07 pm »
((((((((((Christine)))))))))),

Welcome back and I am soooooooooooooooo happy you are back home.

Glad you are better.

Alain :-* :-* :-*

Ps this is the best news ever!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 07:20:22 pm »
Good to see you back with us Christine. I've been keeping you in my daily anxieties. :-*

MtD

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 07:35:42 pm »
I'm so glad you are back home.   ;D
All my love, and kisses,
Lisa
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 07:39:38 pm »
Christine, welcome home.

And as for your doctor... wow. You JUST walked out of the hospital after a horrific and depressing experience, and he chooses THAT moment to ask you if you felt like fighting? Hell, ask me that question three times in a given day and I am likely to give three different answers.

Get some sleep in your own bed, surrounded by the people who love you. Sometimes it's not even about the fight. Sometimes its just about that love.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Teresa

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 07:54:08 pm »

Christine,
WELCOME BACK!!  So glad you are home! You take care and get plenty of rest
Hugs
Teresa   
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 08:11:48 pm »
Very, very glad to know you're safely back home Christine, after that very tough stay.

Fingers and everything else crossed for you to be on the mend. Best to Chris to as well.

Big. noisy and long cheers,

Andy Velez

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 08:26:57 pm »
Christine, all I can say is I am glad you are back home and can decompress after all of this "crashing" stuff..  I am a bit sad at your doctors timing and all.   Lets hope for a better day and a clearer path...

You and Chris are just an amazing couple...

Love,

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 09:01:15 pm »
I'm so happy you're back at home!

God, you've been through far too much... I really hope everything turns out OK.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 10:14:55 pm »
Welcome home, Christine.  May your recovery be surprisingly vigorous.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 11:25:36 pm »
((((((Christine))))))

It's so good to see you back here posting again! Keep on fighting hun, we need you here and we're right there beside you, urging you on.

Fingers, toes and eyes all crossed that things continue to improve for you.

Yay! I'm so happy you're home!

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 01:15:47 am »
I'm glad you are back. And keep on fighting!!!!
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 01:51:44 am »
Christine.

Fight on, lady.  We're behind you all the way.

I'm so glad you're home.

robert

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 02:33:27 am »
Christine honey, I'm so glad to hear you're back home and to see you posting here again. You have been in my thoughts and I've been keeping my eyes peeled for an update.

You certainly have been through the wringer, girlie!

Just concentrate on resting and recuperating now. And know that you're being thought of fondly by someone on a tiny island in Greece. When you're ready I will look out for you on MSN...

Healing hugs
Melia :-*
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Longislander

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 03:51:38 am »
welcome home Christine! Wow, quite the ordeal you went through. Take good care of yourself, and I'm glad you're keeping up the fight!!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline koi1

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 10:42:41 am »
So glad you are back home. Hold on and don't give up because something will come along that will help you. That will help all of us.  I admire your bravery. And this is what this website is all about, people like you who are inspiration to all of us.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 10:45:20 am »
Glad to see you up and running darling

Chris printed out your replies and brought them to the hospital. My Mom read them, and started to cry, and said she was glad you were all here so I can have someone to talk to who understands.

That's us! Your forum family.   8)  Fight HIV and to see what the future holds and we'll fight right by your side, every step of the way. Best wishes for your Tuesday follow-up. Fluids, ahhhhhh  :-* Love you! Alex

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 11:01:33 am »
good news!  :)  :)

big hug - kate

Offline bear60

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 11:12:54 am »
You continue to be an inspiration Christine. Your words ring loud and clear.  Welcome back.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Christine

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 04:06:56 pm »
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the welcome back. I have been sleeping and snuggling on the couch with Chris and the puppies.

The ID doctor had 'the talk' with me before going into the hospital. She wanted to be clear on my wishes if I had become incapacitated while in the hospital. I went over my living will and power of health to make sure she understands my wishes.

I am glad to be back!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Nadine

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 04:32:41 pm »
Welcome back Christine.

Take good care of yourself and tell Chris he better be spoiling you!

Keep up the good fight Sweet Lady!

((((HUGS))))

Offline Esquare

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 10:05:53 pm »
I'm glad to hear you are at home Christine. I did a huge fist pump when I saw your topic.

You are a trooper and a huge inspiration. Hang in there. I'll be praying for you.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 10:09:27 pm »
I'm glad to hear you are at home Christine. I did a huge fist pump when I saw your topic.

You are a trooper and a huge inspiration. Hang in there. I'll be praying for you.

I trademarked the fist pump about 8 years ago.  From now on please do the fist pump with an open hand to avoid any "legal entanglements!"

Glad to have you back Christine!  We missed you!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.