Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:27:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 620
Total: 622

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: den2542 - Starting Genvoya  (Read 8654 times)

Offline den2542

• Life is what you make it, so make it good
den2542 - Starting Genvoya
« on: December 09, 2016, 08:33:43 pm »
I wanted to know how your Genvoya is going.  Originally started me on Sustiva/Combivir for about 6 years, then Atripla about six years, and now they want to start me on Genvoya. Never had a prob with any combo, always adhered to it 100%. Each time they want the change, they said it was because the newest one they wanted me on was the better one and the older one was not as good. So here we go again. I mean with Sustiva combivir it made me tired and sluggish, Atripla made me feel dizzy, and so now I look at Genvoya and I am hearing digestion probs and diarrhea. What's your take?

Doc recommended me take that because he said it was better than Atripla. Been on Atripla for 6 years and before that Sustiva/Combivir for total of 12 years, all 100% compliant and UD and just humming right along. Just sort of wondering about the side effects and if they go away for the Genvoya. I mean I expect side effects but not to the extreme that I am not able to function.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 12:27:17 am by JimDublin »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: den2542 - Starting Genvoya
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 12:53:14 am »
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Ill be honest other than a few days perhaps of you body adjusting you should not be expecting any problems at all when you do switch to Genvoya.  Now if you look around you will also find someone who does have a problem, same can be said for aspirin millions take it daily a few can't, it does not mean anything.

But in anycase don't take my word for it, if you are unsure speak to your doctor and if I am honest your doctor should have also explained this to you when dicussing the new therapy so if any doubt ask them.

Also I merged your posts of sorts and removed them from the other threads
Best to ask your own concerns and questions in your own thread and not to hijack or piggyback in other people topics/threads.

Jim

https://www.poz.com/drug/genvoya
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 01:03:19 am »
If you get side effects that affect your quality of life you can change back. It's that simple.

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 07:58:26 am »
I went on Genvoya from Stribild, so they're essentially the same so there weren't any side effects.  When I started Stribild there was a bit of nausea and gas for about a week or so, but that was it.
Since you're switching from Atripla, there's a two-drug difference (some would say only one) so it may not be as bad for you.  I've heard good things from people who've gone to Genvoya from Atripla, so I think you'll be fine.

Offline den2542

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 10:02:21 am »
Thank you Mightysure. I appreciate your comments.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 10:11:55 am »
Hi, I have been on many combos through the years and switched to Genvoya about a year ago. It is probably the easiest med I have ever taken, the only problem I had was remembering to eat as it must be taken with food.

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 11:54:56 am »
Hi, I have been on many combos through the years and switched to Genvoya about a year ago. It is probably the easiest med I have ever taken, the only problem I had was remembering to eat as it must be taken with food.

Wade

I totally agree.

Started with AZT in 1992. Also many different combos. The previous one was Stribild. Since past April 1st on Genvoya. It's like popping a multivitamin pill.....NO side effect whatsover. Dinner time is pill time for me. Genvoya a gift from heaven.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:57:58 am by Grasshopper »

Offline harleymc

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 06:02:06 pm »
Hi Grasshopper, good to see another AZT veteran on here. I get bored with people telling me that  anyone who ever was on AZT is dead.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 08:44:05 pm »
tots off-topic  :P sorry Genvoya-users  :-*

Hi Grasshopper, good to see another AZT veteran on here. I get bored with people telling me that  anyone who ever was on AZT is dead.
i was just talking to someone about this the other day. I, too, took AZT in 92-93 (9 months). and I realized in the discussion that I had taken 4 100-mg pills 6 times a day for a total of 2400 mg a day of AZT and I had actually lived through it. ;)

2400 a day X 30 days X 9 months = 648,000 mg :o and that's a lot of AZT  ;D

after 18 other meds, just a little over a year ago, I switched to Isentress/Prezcobix and couldn't be happier after 23 yrs of meds.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 09:28:01 am »

I was on AZT, and plenty of it too....and I'm not dead either
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline giomanach

• Diary of a Pos
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 12:30:29 am »
I got started on Genvoya after I was diagnosed. Yeah, I seem to have some issues with my gut. But it is manageable. I am currently week 3 into the treatment and I seem fine so far. Not sure about the potential long term effect though.

Offline WowThatWasLifeChanging

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 04:26:49 pm »
I switched from Truvada/Isentress to Genvoya a week or so ago. The only side effect I had that I noticed was bad headaches. They have since stopped. I have a horrible appetite and when my Infectious Disease doctor "encouraged" me to change to this med he assured me that even though it says take with food that it is not necessary. Guess we will see at my next lab. Also, I never had problems with previous meds but similar am told this is new etc. I usually say no because it makes no difference to swallow 2 pills once a day or one once a day or 3 twice a day but this time he got me to agree by telling me that Genvoya has less effects on liver and bones so less potential for long term effects there with osteoporosis, etc. #hopeful

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 09:04:52 pm »
he assured me that even though it says take with food that it is not necessary
http://www.gilead.com/~/media/files/pdfs/medicines/hiv/genvoya/genvoya_pi.pdf
Throughout the package insert it states that Genvoya needs to be taken with food. Genvoya results were calculated on light meal=~400 kcal, 20% fat to high fat meal=~800 kcal, 50% fat.  Food absorption changes the amount of medication absorption so without taking this med with the required calories you risk not getting the right amount of medication needed against HIV. This could lead to increased viral load, illness, and resistance to medications.

Your doctor has no right to assure you that taking a medication improperly will result in successful treatment. :(
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline den2542

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 01:19:12 pm »
Dear Forum. First time posting and not sure if I'm doing it right. I have a question. I am being switched from Atripla to Genvoya. CD4 is 473 and UD. Poz since 93. My past combos were Combivir/Sustiva then Atripla. Only started meds in 2002. Am also on Fortesta testosterone. I heard Atripla has a protection for low HDL but Genvoya can cause LDL and triglycerides to rise. Has anyone had this issue? Also looking to raise my HDL and would like to know how to do so. My HDL is 20 and LDL is low and together LDL, HDL and Triglycerides are at or below 150. I do not smoke bc smoking raises LDL and Triglycerides. Please advise me.  Please share. Please forgive if I didn't post this right.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 09:24:45 pm »
I see the switch has not happen yet than.

Have you discussed the concern with your doctor? Anyhow sure Genvoya can cause LDL levels to rise. Does not mean it will for you or will to a level of any concern.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline den2542

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 09:35:41 pm »
Jim I did discuss that, but my LDL is rather low and the HDL is in the 20s so he wants to get that higher. I guess the ratio is what is important. The doctors said if Genvoya has a bad effect on LDL he'd give me another pill. So I was looking for ways that might bring HDL ip quick. I know that meds have a different effect on everyone but was wondering if anyone say an anecdotal effect like the drug speaks of. Maybe the use of Genvoya is still too new yet.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 10:11:35 pm »
Hi

Ok, so if I get you correctly, you want to increase your good cholesterol and next to this your are also concerned about LDL levels and possible side effects from Genvoya when you do switch, the doctor however is not concerned about the later.

On the LDL and Genvoya look stressing about a possible side effect you don't have  is not really helpful but enough people on this med so maybe they will chime in, anecdotally.  From the 104/111 pooled studies results, 11% of adults on Genvoya experienced fasted LDL-cholesterol levels >190 mg/dL. That's reassuring to be honest or it is to me. (Having a hard time finding a good reference but included the studies finding announcement, ping me if you want a better one and ill dig it out) 

On the HDL did you speak to the doctor about this? I mean normally its a lifestyle change and hard work. better diets long term and more exercise next to cutting out any bad habits, reading your post I see you don't smoke so that is not a concern at least. 

Mine own cholesterol levels did get better 2-3 years ago after adopting a better lifestyle with more exercise, no drinking and better diet. I had to however changed things for other reasons, the improvement in cholesterol was just a side effect of that.

Anyhow, hope you find what you need.

Take it easy.

Jim

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-heart 
http://www.gilead.com/news/press-releases/2017/2/gilead-announces-144week-data-evaluating-safety-and-efficacy-of-genvoya-for-treatment-of-hiv1-in-treatmentna%C3%AFve-adults

PS. 

I know that meds have a different effect on everyone

Not sure I agree with that fully  ;) I had one guy claim it made his left leg shrink  ;D anecdotal is not fact of course, but I get what you mean.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:14:41 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline den2542

Re: den2542 - Started Genvoya and Have ?? Side Effect
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 07:40:47 pm »
Ok yall.need your help and reassurance. Today on 18 Dec I took my first Genvoya. Took it at 5 pm. Had no other meds in the day. Had 2 Activia yogurts and  two corn tortillas. By 630 pm had an two episodes of diarrhea. Lots of gas. Obviously this is one side effect. Will this side effect go away in time as the body adapts and how long is the adapt period? One week, two weeks? Is there a way to avoid the diarrhea or gas? Oh btw I had no other good during the day. Just wasn't hungry. Please share ur experiences.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 08:08:21 pm »
Just wasn't hungry and in less than 90 mins from taking the pill having the runs, more likely it would be something else. That would be my thinking at least for what its worth.

This is a "Take with food" medication so I am not sure if you took all the food you mentioned that day when taking the meds but if not you should be eating a meal when taking this medication. Diarrhea and gas is a common enough settling in issue there is no denying that however you should not be expecting to live with it for ever and can do a lot to mange it if the meds is indeed the cause.

Anyhow whatever I think if it continues for more than a few days I would say do speak to your GP as diarrhea can be signs of all sorts of issues that need to be checked and addressed, in the meantime you could try a balanced diet (Not eating all day is not healthy) or a dry diet for a few days and adding probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus - Live yogurt until it settles down, this link goes into some basics on managing it

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/nausea-vomiting-diarrhea

Hope the link yields something useful for you and hope you feel better soon

Jim
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:21:18 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline den2542

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 08:21:47 pm »
JIM when you say "probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus" - Live yogurt. You Specifically Do Not Mean Over The Counter Pills right?
You mean actual yogurt. That's why I used Activia yogurt by Dannon. It says on there probiotic yogurt with Bifidus. Bifidus Regularis. In addition to the live bacterial cultures used to make all Activia contains Bifidus Regularis, a trademarked name for an organism normally present in the human intestines called Bifidobacterium lactis DN-173 010. So I figured that was ok. Just wondering if this side effect goes away promptly. I took some vacation in the event something happens. I suppose I could use a Brat diet for a while.

Offline den2542

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 08:25:28 pm »
JIM when you say "probiotic Lactobacillus acidophilus" - Live yogurt. You Specifically Do Not Mean Over The Counter Pills right?
You mean actual yogurt. That's why I used Activia yogurt by Dannon. It says on there probiotic yogurt with Bifidus. Bifidus Regularis. In addition to the live bacterial cultures used to make all Activia contains Bifidus Regularis, a trademarked name for an organism normally present in the human intestines called Bifidobacterium lactis DN-173 010. So I figured that was ok. Just wondering if this side effect goes away promptly. I took some vacation in the event something happens. I suppose I could use a Brat diet for a while.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 08:34:24 pm »
Yeah, look personally I ate 500 grams of the stuff (17.5 ounces) when I had adjustment bowl problems of natural live yogurt, the small Danone pots we get here at least would not cut my needs at the time.  I had this BTW with every combination of meds I tried for a few days to a few weeks.

How long it will take to adjust if the meds are the cause, depends and i suspect varies per person if they do have this issue, could 1 day, a few days or weeks. (Not that I would wait weeks to check with the doctor as diarrhea is not always as innocent as it seems)

I suppose I could use a Brat diet for a while.

You could, again don't wait weeks or months to check in with the doctor if the issue continues.

My point is no need to worry if its just the body adjusting to the meds its not something you should be expecting to live with and if it last too long talk to the doctor, with todays medication and range of combination possible neither you or anyone else should be expecting to have to put up with any side effects beyond a brief adjustment time.

Truly hope it settles down soon for you.

Jim

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:37:01 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline den2542

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 10:31:39 am »
So for the benefit of those that are considering Genvoya just wanted to report on my second day and report some anecdotal stuff. Well so I took the pill but this time I made SURE that I ate small meals often in the day. Well what do you know... no nausea, no diarrhea, no loose stools. I had no issues sleeping. I seemed to feel headachy but I would attribute that to taking my sinus meds Claritin in the AM instead of at night. I moved all my vitamins in the am and only take Genvoya at 6 pm. I ate two bagels and a two tuna sandwiches while enjoying my pill. Now one thing that I noticed. I seem to urinate more often with Genvoya... what's up with that. Also I have more energy and not as tired. Also I am more hungry.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.