Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:57:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 184
Total: 187

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Concerned about infection with sex workers  (Read 17551 times)

Offline stresser

Concerned about infection with sex workers
« on: May 15, 2007, 05:36:33 pm »
I had sex with two diff sex workers back in late November/early december... The last one being on December 3rd. I dont remember getting sick or anything after the fact. This was in Central America on vacation (what a way to waste it huh?). At any rate I did use protection both times but am now having stuffy/runny nose (post nasal drip maybe) :-\ :-\, itchy eyes, clogged up ears, watery eyes, coughing and hoarse voice at night. I went to my doctor for my annual physical and part of that was a blood draw that included an hiv test. in the state I live (MA) they have a new "opt out" hiv testing scenario and have made it part of any kind of medical setting. So I guess I will find out if my stupid actions led to hiv or not. He also gave me a tetanus shot as part of the physical and also prescriped allegra and euphorbium. I am wondering if he might be thinking hiv in the back of his mind or is this me just being paranoid? Are any of these symptoms possibly related to hiv? Any advise or guidance is mostly appreciated!!!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Concerned about infection with sex workers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:40:26 pm »
Stresser,

Given that the sex you had was protected, your HIV test results will be negative. You should take the time to read the Welcome Thread which contains links to our testing and transmission lessons.

MtD

/edited for a bloody buggery typo/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 06:06:54 pm by matty.the.damned »

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:43:47 pm »
Sounds like he had allergies on his mind.  As matty said you were protected during sex so you dont have to worry about HIV at all in relation to those incidents.  And as far as wasting your time on vacation.... I could think of WORSE ways to do it!

Keep using those condoms for intercourse and you'll have no need to worry about HIV.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline stresser

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 05:52:13 pm »
I guess i its just paranoia of mine then. I've never had allergies in my entire life so it seems odd that I am getting them now. hmmm... I hope both you guys are right on this one. Condoms did not break either time so I believe I am good there as well. The waiting on the results of the test I will say are killin me!!!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 05:56:44 pm »
Stresser,

The trick to dealing with waiting for results is to go about your normal business. You'd be amazed at how the time passes.

MtD

Offline stresser

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 05:58:20 pm »
So assuming the condom worked (It didnt break or at least I did not feel it break) is it safe to say I am ok?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 06:00:47 pm »
Stresser,

The condom worked. In terms of HIV you're ok.

MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 06:03:17 pm »
Stresser,

Please don't send me PM's asking questions about the matters you raised here in Am I Infected. This thread is the place to post your concerns.

MtD

Offline stresser

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 06:05:06 pm »
matty,

Sorry about that i will refrain from doing that. Again thanks for your response. I hope to feel as confident as you on this subject!! next week i'l know for sure what the scoup is..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 07:01:38 pm »
Condoms do the job as far as HIV is concerned as long as you use them consistently everytime you have intercourse.

A question which occurs to me is whether you would be experiencing all of this (unwarranted) anxiety if the sex had been with non-professionals. For some reason a lot of guys automatically think that if a woman is a pro it means she's HIV+ and a greater risk. Actually, many of the pros are very much more careful because they want to stay healthy.

I'm just throwing that in for your consideration since frequently it's clear guys are ashamed about having been with a pro.

As others have already said to you, I too expect you to test negative.

Good luck with your test.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline stresser

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 07:22:47 pm »
I am getting a little concern about this because with allergies people normally sneeze alot yet I never sneeze but have all the other symptoms like watery/itchy eyes,  runny nose, and a feeling of ear fullness..... Could all these be symptoms of seroconversion or after seroconversion?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 07:28:17 pm »
Stresser,

Are you reading anything we've written? Whatever is happening, it's not related to HIV. Take it up with your doctor when you collect your negative HIV result.

MtD

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 09:31:37 am »
I am getting a little concern about this because with allergies people normally sneeze alot yet I never sneeze but have all the other symptoms like watery/itchy eyes,  runny nose, and a feeling of ear fullness..... Could all these be symptoms of seroconversion or after seroconversion?
Mild Allergic Reactions
Mild allergic reactions can include:

Rash
Itchy, watery eyes
Congestion
Mild reactions do not spread to other parts of the body.
RIDE!!!

Offline stresser

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 06:27:31 pm »
Txs for the info ACinKC. Sounds like I have been over reacting. Allergies are a little better today since its been raining here... I hope to get a -ve result on monday.

Andy, you add a valuable perspective to my thought process here. I have to totally agree with you when you say that if this was not a pro I would not be freacking out. If they want to keep their job the last thing they would want is to get sick.

Again, i hope to receive my -ve result next week and move on with this. Since my test was on May 14 and my last protected incident with a Pro was Dec 3 (the other one coming Nov 28 or so) I can rely on the results of the test as well.

TXS AGAIN everyone!!!! This board is awesome!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 08:01:56 am »
You're welcome. I'm glad you found the responses you received to be helpful.

And I do expect you to pick up a negative result next week.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline stresser

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 09:46:42 am »
Fingers Crossed!!!!

Offline stresser

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 03:55:43 pm »
Results are in... LabCorp did them (I guess they R a reputable lab?) and it came back -ve @ 155 days post exposure.. Would that suffice in your guys books based on the criteria stated above?

Andy, Matty, and ACinKC,

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank U guys again for your candid responses and helping me through this rough time!!

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 04:09:26 pm »
You are 100% conclusively negative.
RIDE!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 05:49:28 pm »
Stressor,

You are indeed hiv negative. Stay that way by using condoms correctly and consistently.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline stresser

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 02:22:08 pm »
Thanks Ann and all.

I have one more questions for you guys if you dont mind. I got a copy of my Blood tests and in it regarding HIV Test it says                       

"TEST                      RESULT                LIMITS

HIV 1/0/2 Abs-ICMA

HIV 1/0/2 Abs-Index Value     <1.00                   <1.00

Index Value:Specimen reactivity relative to the negative cutoff. 

HIV 1//0/2 Abs, Qual             Non-Reactive          Non-Reactive"

I know this means -ve based on the info but can someone explain the "ranges" and also the logistics of the test and "cutoff ranges" for my education?

Thanks everyone or anyone!!!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 02:24:19 pm by stresser »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 04:34:29 pm »
They mean you're HIV negative.

See the word "non-reactive"? It means "negative".

MtD

Offline stresser

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 08:13:21 pm »
I know Non Reactive means -ve but I was wondering on the cutoff ranges and also logistics of the test etc to better understand how the test works and so I am not so ignorant on that subject matter either. Any feedback is appreciated

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 10:32:01 pm »
An HIV Absolute Index Value that is less than 1.0 means that you're HIV negative.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.