Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 03:17:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 177
Total: 178

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: God Bless the Child that Got his Own  (Read 6983 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

God Bless the Child that Got his Own
« on: July 27, 2006, 01:24:57 am »
Dear Forum Friends,

I just can't stop singing the chorus to this song today.  Having tried to return to the work place since 1998 has created a whole mess of issues and little support from the health care professionals, the ASO's and generally the powers that be.

For the past 10 months, I have been working on a project called Re-Entry Task Force.  This group was trying to invoke change and help people like myself and others to return to work, get training or volunteer for non-profits who help support people living with HIV/AIDS.

With the help and support of the other founding members, the Planning Counsil and others who were never involved, succeeded to turn this project into a support group, with no real focus, and no real or perceived benefits other than a few county employees who need job security.  This organization is now a zoo, open to the public (but don't feed the bears).

Seeing the writing on the wall and being able to spot BS from 300 yards, I have been looking for other ways to take care of my financial and personal needs.  Having spent the last 10 years on disability, I have no money to invest for myself but, I have always done without to pay all of my bills before eating, going out or even seeing a film.  I have perfect credit.

This morning, I was turned down by the first lender for an agricultural loan to purchase a Sonoma County vineyard.  They often do 100% loans but when the loan officer heard the word "disabled" that conversation was over.

The vineyard provides a built in $8,000.00 per month income (the amount of the mortgage payment) which will escalate in 3 years to $26,000.00 per month in three years.  Then a 1.5% annual increase per year over the next 30 years.   The purchase price includes the long term lease of the vineyard acreage.  There is a luxury estate home on the property that can also be rented.  That is the pure profit part because why would I need to live in such a house?

Lender # 2 is currently reviewing the numbers and has private lenders available.  Two years ago, when I started planning the move to Sonoma County, this lender prequalified me (on my disability income) for the purchase of a multi-family housing unit.  The issue of not having a signifigant down payment is still on the table.

After a few hours online, I find the Farm Service Agency, Rural Development, and the local office of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.  The Beginning Farmer Down Payment program will provide a 40% down payment of the sales price or the appraised value (which ever is less) at only 4% interest for 40 years and disabled veterans move to the top of the list.  My letter of inquiry is in their fax machine waiting for the office to open in the morning.

So, I may become a farmer and while I am waiting response, I shall sing...

Mama May Have, Papa May Have, but God bless the Child that Got His OwnHave the best Day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
Re: God Bless the Child that Got his Own
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 02:47:26 am »
Nice work if you can get it, and you can get it if you try.  :) J.
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 05:34:38 am »
Go FOR IT and the best of luck!
Positive since 1985

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 09:28:35 am »
If you get it, let us know which winery uses the grapes... Ill throw some business their way. ;)
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 02:41:55 pm »
Evaluate carefully your situation and the outcome; no one wants to be on disability, but once U loose it, may be hard to get back.  The expenses of runing a business including insurance, health care and other wise can be devistating.  If you can pull it off, go for it, just examine all aspects very carefully, you don't want to end up oweing tons of money, no income, and no disability.  Please be leary of things that seem too good to be ture...
Have U had an attorney review all this?
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 08:14:00 pm »
Hello Michael it is Eldon. I must say that you are an entrepreneur at heart. I wish you well in your venture. Just make sure you dot all of your I's and crossed all of your T's,

God bless the child that has his own. Good Luck!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 02:17:15 am »
Hi Everyone,

I made some progress on the first step today.  The first step being loan pre-qualification.  Being disabled for 10 years and not having an existing income to cover the costs of an agriculture loan is the first of many hurdles.

Today I contacted the Department of Agriculture and found there is a loan program for beginning farmer, down payment, farm ownership.  They will pay 40% of the sale price or the appraised value at 4% interest for honorably discharged veterans.  The paperwork and application will be in my mailbox by Monday.

If and when I get pre-qualified for the down payment program, I can begin to get pre-qualified for the other 60% of the loan through either conventional or private lenders.  This is the easy part  because I have already been pre-qualified for another loan by this lender.  I will also be shopping for lower rates.

The next step is to review the vineyard lease agreements and the ag reports.  Some of my uncles are high rollers in residential real estate development, their attorney is a licensed real estate broker.  He will review the lease agreements and if everything is looking good, he will write the purchase offer and present it to the sellers broker.

I grew up knowing wine families such as the Fetzers, Parducci's and the Foppianos.  One of them will review and interpret the ag reports.  They have to be asked and are not far away.  I also need to get the property appraised by a certified appraiser.  The phone book is full of them and finding one with agriculture certification is not hard to find in wine country.

The next step is to meet with a vacation rental property manager and agree on terms to keep the estate home leased as a vacation rental, under acceptable terms.  When all of the reports and all of the contracts are in order, it will be time to present the offer, enter escrow and wait, and wait, and wait.

The final and most important step is maintaining my health care and disability status.  From earlier meetings with Medi-Cal, Medicare and Social Security, I have found that the three entities will continue for 9 months after beginning working.  Medicare will continue for an additional 3 years for a slight fee.  My "work" after escrow will be receiving checks from the vineyard manager and the property manager and sending a check to the lender each month.

Putting all the parts and pieces together, in order and on time will be a job in itself.  I am considered a "high functioning" patient at the clinic and a "level one" client at the ASO.  I go to the clinic every three months for blood draws and 2 weeks later for follow-up with the provider.  The ASO calls me once every 6 months for follow-up and I very rarely go into their offices.   I think I can do this...  Time will tell and I will keep you all posted as events take place.  Have the best day
Michael

The house has a 600 bottle temperture controlled wine cellar, a pool and 7 acres of gardens.  The Chardonnay from this vineyard sells for $60.00 per bottle.  I feel the need for a party.

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 10:31:03 am »
This sounds exciting.

If you ever need someone to walk around the wine barrels and smash the grapes with their toes, , I'm available.  I am told by the highest authorities that you cannot get HIV this way.

robert

Offline Teresa

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 11:40:32 am »
This is very exciting. The prospect of owning your own vineyard!

You can be like Jane Wyatt on Falcon Crest...only not as bitchy...LOL

Seriously, I hope everything works out for ya.

I will buy a bottle of your wine.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 12:54:27 pm »
I just got an early morning wake up call from the lender.  He is also a licensed broker and now is my licensed broker.  George specializes in multi-million properties.  He can get me funded if he can get the seller to carry a second or if I can find an investor.  George is calling the sellers broker with tax incentive reasons they should carry the second deed of trust.

The first two possible investors, which come to mind (before a triple latte) is the AIDS Food Bank or our local ASO.  At least since they always do fund raising, they may have some ideas on partners.

Robert-  I know people can get HIV after drinking wine.  I have personal experience in this.  But not from making wine.  I would love the help crushing grapes as in "I Love Lucy."

Teresa-  Jane Wyman was as bitchy in real life as she was on Falcon Crest.  When her former husband Ronald Reagan was elected President of the United States, she was asked if she was sorry they were no longer married.  Her response was, "Why? I make more money in a week than he does in a year."

I used to go to this place in college that had a Wine Steward, he resembled the character on a TV commercial who said, "We shall sell no wine before it's time."  I quoted that commercial comment to friends in the bar one afternoon.  A week later, I got a job there as a waiter.  It is a good thing he had a sense of humor because the tips paid my rent and  tuition for a couple of years.  I wouldn't have been able to put myself through college without their help.  Have the best day
Michael
(who once again may be able to say, "We will sell no wine before its time.)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 12:56:20 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 01:11:06 pm »
Hi Michael...

I see that once again that marvelous brain of yours has been working overtime. A vineyard!! Woweeeeee!!

Good luck to you on this new venture...you know I would be happy to assist in whatever way I can, with sampling the produce ;D as well as with the gardens.  Sounds fabulous!!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, dear.

Love,

Zeph :-*
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline CApronda

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 01:14:01 pm »
Good Work .... Great Tenacity ....  Excellent Guts

Many Bravest Warriors have ventured and failed before getting to 1st base in the arenas of Financing Warfare and Government Red Tape.

I commend you and will give you my (unsolicited) advise which is Free for the taking.

My expertise is as a Senior Commercial/Government/Agri Banking Manager for more that 25 years.  Admittedly in Canada but had portfolios in USA (I like to think that I built Scotsdale AZ) financed with Canadian Loans.

I am the most forthright honest person in the Finance Arena with creditability second to none.  I say this only so that you recognize my difficulty in stating the following things.

Disability is a term that Lenders misinterpret as unemployed, questionable abilities, unstable, future potential unseen not known but likely not there.

Credit Adjudication has from the beginning of lending money to the present and applies to lending in any Country is based on the Five "C" of Credit Adjudication in order to substantiate the security (Risk Factor or Risk Rating) of lending the money.

But really Banks don't care about 4 of the C's just one ~Collateral~.  What can they have of yours to cover the loan with because they assume that they will have to use this.  They will over secure their loan with everything that you possible disclose as assets including personal guarantees.  

All Borrowers are compliant because the Bankers know that they are in the drivers seat and the Borrower is in their control.  Put the Lender and Borrower on even terms they lose because you are the one that has the _alls to take a chance, have an idea, flexibility, fortitude with the Lender as a formula, lack of insight, secured by red tape of policies and procedures and security up to the yingyang.  That is why Banks are Collateral Lenders.

Banking Philosophy is they do not like to lend you money if you need money.  Banks A-Rated Clients are not customers that have excessive money on deposits with no borrowings.  These are Clients are only considered as the Banks Free Deposits.  I have never had this type of Client demand from the Bank Collateral to secure their Deposits ~ have you?  In many instances these Depositors have entrusted more cash than most Borrowers lend.

Banks disclosure that their deposits are protected by CDC up to $ but forget to advise them to spread their cash into many types of deposit instruments because the ceiling protection is based on the instrument and only up to that amount.  With more sophisticated investment instruments held outside of their profitability center.

Bankers are fish out of water when the Borrower is in control so turn the tables around to your benefit to have leaverage.

It is a numbers game.  Make sure you know your numbers and if not ensure that your presentation is so detailed and airtight that it makes their number counting easy as 1 ~ 2 ~ 3.  The Borrower relates to rainbows of concepts and ideas which are clouds to the Lender who only relates to black and white.

Business Plan ~  did you know that a good one can take up to 200 hours of a layman's time. Most Borrower say ~What a Waste of Time?~ I am just borrowing $100,000 not a Million.  And chance are that your lender is adjudicating within $100M portfolio group not the Million dollar group.  You assume that is great because they won't be that anal and be able to relate to the normal borrower. But in fact they PYA mentality and his level of Lenders don't have unilateral discretionary limits (meaning they have to get it approved by someone who hasn't met you only sees what you have on paper as their decision process.

You must know, that you only buy a car on the last day of the month ~ sales and dealerships have quotas with their bonus income based on exceeding that quota.

Banks are similar their branch or communities have money from Free Deposit Customers and they have to make a return while meeting Head Offices Budgets.  On the other hand if they have too many loans and not enough free deposits they have to offset that from deposits in Head Office.  H.O. reviews those types of requests on priority normally at the bottom of the barrel ~ because the branch has already met their lending/deposits.  Guess what your request ~~~ DECLINED ~~~

Do some research and find out who can veto your request right now or what branch or area has large deposit base.

Have your Banking Proposal Interview on your turf at the location of your new business venture.  Make sure that your enthusiasm during the tour keeps the Lender awestrucked (he might even believe that he should do this himself) ~ idol minds are the devils playground ~ and if you see a blank look I guarantee that the Lender is calculating (his turf) and not visualizing (your turf) business showing him/her everything so that the numbers in your Plan are just fleeting.

Prearrange with the Vendor to interrupt you to advises you that he has to tell you something very important about an offer that just came in.  Stay close enough to ear reach of your lender.  He will ask you about it after and now urgency exists to your benefit.

Now a really great lender will be able to tell you right there and then if you have the loan.  And if not make it very clear what you want ~ are prepared to give ~ what is negotiable ~ what you are prepared to pay and when ~ how quickly his turnaround should be.

An other good tactic is get a friend to phone you on your cell close to the end of your tour and excuse yourself for taking the call but it is urgent and talk to the cell advising the pretend other bank that you appreciate their follow up and are currently reviewing the property with Joe Smith from Bank of Montreal and will get back to him on your decision of which offer you will accept.  Now you have injected competition ~ not even lenders like to lose.

Enquire from this Lender who he reports to writing the name and title down. If he gives you a name with a title of Manager say no I mean the S.V.P. or E.V.P.  He will ask why ~ tell him that when you meet people that exceed your expectations (not saying that he has) you ensure that their efforts are recognized by the appropriate people.  As him ~don't you agree that when someone does something above and beyond the normal that they should be rewarded?  Now you have his acknowledgement which I can assure you that he will want to be that person.

Ensure that your offer to purchase shows an elevated Purchase Price to cover your short fall of downpayment.

Yes there are pages of appraisers find out who he recommends.  You are not committing that you will use that person.  But contact that person privately telling him that he comes highly recommended by your lender.  Meet him at the appraisal spot and ask him for his best guesstimate of the value of the property.  If it is short of what you need that number to be tell him that Joe ? your lender who has seen the operation felt that you would have no problem with this number ?  Guess what that Appraiser wants more business and referrals from your Lender ~  dam sure he will make your number to satisfy the loan.  The Appraiser has quotas too.

Anyway these are just a few thoughts however I would be available to any questions or just as a sounding board if you need some help.

Hi Everyone,
I also need to get the property appraised by a certified appraiser.  The phone book is full of them and finding one with agriculture certification is not hard to find in wine country.

And You Begin To Accept Your Defeats, With Your Head Up And Your Eyes Open,
           With A Grace Of A Woman, Not The Grief Of A Child

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 03:11:23 pm »
Dear Zephie,

The day they hand over the keys, you and I are going into that wine cellar with cork screw and crystal wine glasses.  I already have the stemware.  While we are reading the Wine Spectator edition on Mr. Paul Hobbs "Cult" Quality Chardonnay and Mr. Parker's articles on the same and following on the article in Conde-Nest magazine on what will become my vineyard and my vacation rental, my commercial grade green house, potting sheds, pond, etc., etc., we can have a very good laugh.  Because... George, my broker and lender knows of my AIDS diagnosis, my committment to HIV/AIDS support work with the Planning Counsil and the sub-committees I participate in.  He also knows the terms of the vineyard lease to Mr. Hobbs will cover the mortgage payment for 30 years.

Yes, we can have a very hearty laugh because I have been verbally approved for a loan of $1.7 million and I have $1.00 in my pocket.  Remember the Re-Entry Task Force I have been working on for almost a year?  This is mine, I am retaking my rightful place in the world where I was once a mover and a shaker.  As of this morning, I am short $100,000.00, less the $1.00 in my pocket.  George is working on that.  I told him, I don't play well with others so if the seller will carry the second, life will be easier.

When we are done with the first two bottles of the best vintage, we can begin looking at the 7.5 acres of landscaping so you can re-design.  I will be in the position to pay your fee.  I am having the best day in 10 years.
Michael
(who was singing the back-up vocals but now singing the lead)

Rich Relations give crusts of bread and such, you can help yourself but don't take too much, Mama may have, Papa may have but GOD BLESS THE CHILD THAT GOT HIS OWN
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 03:15:35 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline Eldon

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 03:23:05 pm »
Congratulations Michael!!!
Go and get the BEST out of the cellar and cellebrate, because this deserves a cellabration! 8)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 04:40:32 pm »
And if you need a sommelier, I come cheap  ::)

Congratulations!
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.