Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:59:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 282
Total: 282

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: glenn maxwell, 1955 - 1997  (Read 8528 times)

Offline the trebmeister

• Fame is fleeting ... obscurity is forever.
    • daddy, you bastard
glenn maxwell, 1955 - 1997
« on: September 27, 2009, 10:37:46 pm »
glenn's been dead for over 10 years.  in late 1996 i met his parents and a few other friends at methodist hospital where glenn had been taken because he was unable to breathe.   mrs. maxwell tearfully whispered the doctor told her glenn would be dead within a year.  i maintained my facade and greeted glenn as if he'd just had a minor slip & fall.   over the next 6 months glenn withered and died, undergoing IV amphotericin b 3 times a week, which made his life hell but was all that kept him alive.  in late june i was scheduled to attend the american library association conference in san francisco.  when i dropped glenn off at his parent's home that last saturday i knew we would never see each other again.  i went anyway.  when i returned to my hotel room that sunday, after the s.f gay pride parade, the light on the telephone indicating i had a message was all i had to see.  his parents decided to have the service the next day so there was no easy way for me to get home.   i visited his grave once but such gestures are irrelevant if he is still a part of my un/conscious life.  he is still alive in my heart and memories.

glenn and i were born at touro infirmary 3 days apart in 1955 and i've sometimes wondered if our paths crossed then as they did years later.   he was the closest i have ever come to a real lover although our relationship was non-sexual.  he is the only person with whom i laughed as much and had as much fun.  our odd senses of humor were so compatible he could start off a remark and i could finish it and vice versa.   we loved idiotic word-association games and often engaged in play to the bemusement (and sometimes amusement) of those around us, ranging from complete strangers to friends and family.

i wish i'd gone with him.  he did not live to see his new orleans destroyed in 2005.  his dear mom is in bad health and lives in slidell, louisiana, a commuter suburb across lake pontchartrain.  currently i have no car and my driving license expired in 2008.  our only other mutual friend Bob is still recovering from a gun shot to the face on 11/3/2007 and couldn't drive 10 feet even if his license wasn't expired.  screw it all -- this week i'm taking the 756 hour bus ride to the DMV to renew my license, then renting a car in the next few weeks.     

the only digital picture of glenn i could find is only his back, wearing my hot orange dress on halloween night 1996.  i'd never have been able to squeeze into it anyway.  except for a b-52s concert we attended in december, 1996 that was the last time glenn felt well enough to sojourn outside of our own cozy private existences.   as hard as 1997 was for glenn he held on to life as long as possible, despite the ampho-terrible b and slow atrophy of internal organs.   those last weekends together are forever part of me. 

whimper, simper, and whine, llc

[attachment deleted by admin]
Your friends may say that I’m a stranger
My face they’ll never see no more
There is but one promise that’s given
I’ll sail on God’s golden shore

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.