Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:09:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773295
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 612
Total: 612

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Uganda Just made it a capital offense to be gay  (Read 10073 times)

Offline Charles.M

05/22/23 INITIAL DX
05/26/23 CD4-72/VL-63,400
06/06/23 STARTED BIKTARVY
07/05/23 CD4-NT/VL-63
08/08/23 CD4-163/VL-21
09/15/23 CD4-NT/VL<20
10/17/23 CD4-162/UD
12/25/23 CD4-149/UD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Uganda Just made it a capital offense to be gay
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 08:29:33 pm »
It imposes capital punishment for some behaviour, including transmitting a terminal illness like HIV/AIDS through gay sex, and stipulates a 20-year sentence for "promoting" homosexuality
sigh. people always worried about the msm sex. In Uganda, M/F sex is the main transmission route for HIV. Women, not men or gay men, have the highest rates of HIV. HIV was probably introduced into Uganda by male Tanzanian soldiers having sex (ie. rape/nonconsensual and consensual) with female Ugandans.

"aggravated homosexuality"
what is that?!?
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 02:48:44 am »
Well, I'll start by saying Uganda is not the only place in the world with harsh punishments, including death, and although I am saddened by these developments with the rising tensions around the world, I am not surprised.

U.K. government 'appalled'
The British government said on Monday it was "appalled" at the Ugandan government's new law and that it's firmly opposed to the death penalty in all circumstances.

"This legislation undermines the protections and freedoms of all Ugandans enshrined in the Ugandan constitution," the U.K. government said in a statement.

"It will increase the risk of violence, discrimination and persecution, will set back the fight against HIV/AIDS, and will damage Uganda's international reputation," the statement said.

::) The British government has some cheek to say this will increase violence, discrimination and persecution, considering its own actions and comments in recent times on LGBTQ+ matters that is doing just that by fueling a rather hateful narrative in the nation.

Sept 2023: Ms Braverman, Home Secretary

“Let me be clear, there are vast swathes of the world where it is extremely difficult to be gay, or to be a woman. Where individuals are being persecuted, it is right that we offer sanctuary.

“But we will not be able to sustain an asylum system if in effect simply being gay, or a woman, and fearful of discrimination in your country of origin is sufficient to qualify for protection.”

Oct 2023 Rishi Sunak; Prime Minister

“it also shouldn’t be controversial for parents to know what their children are being taught in school about relationships, patients to know when hospitals are talking about men or women.

And we shouldn’t get bullied into believing that people can be any sex they want to be. A man is a man, a woman is a woman, that’s just common sense.”

Note: A day prior, home secretary Suella Braverman backed the policy proposal, saying: “Trans women have no place in women’s wards or, indeed, any safe space relating to biological women.”

Jan 2023 Rishi Sunak; Prime Minister blocks Scotland’s gender recognition legislation

The legislation would make it easier for transgender people to obtain official gender recognition certificates, including by reducing waiting times, removing the need for a medical diagnosis and bringing the minimum age down from 18 to 16.

UK Goverment said “Our concerns include the protection of single-sex spaces, and the checks and balances included in the process of gaining a legal gender recognition certificate.

June 2022 Rishi Sunak; Prime Minister
was secretly filmed mocking trans people joking about “women having penises” and making fun of Lib Dem leader Ed Davey for supporting trans rights. https://www.thepinknews.com/2023/10/04/rishi-sunak-tory-conference-speech/

« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 03:53:02 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 03:26:48 am »
It imposes capital punishment for some behaviour, including transmitting a terminal illness like HIV/AIDS through gay sex, and stipulates a 20-year sentence for "promoting" homosexuality.

Another Good AIDS vs. Bad AIDS situation. Classic.

"aggravated homosexuality"

what is that?!?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/8/29/uganda-man-charged-with-aggravated-homosexuality-faces-death-penalty

A 20-year-old man has become the first Ugandan to be charged with “aggravated homosexuality” – an offence punishable by death under the country’s recently enacted anti-gay law.

The defendant was charged on August 18 with aggravated homosexuality after he “performed unlawful sexual intercourse” with a 41-year-old man. The charge sheet did not specify why the act was considered aggravated.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 03:33:33 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 04:17:43 am »
Aggravated homosexuality

Oh I’ve def encountered that a time or two!…

Honestly places like this and Jamaica are just so backwards thinking. It’s a real shame but also I dont know what their experiences have been like, as a culture, that have prompted those feelings.

Just add these places to my “Do not fly” list.
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.