Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Tested Positive for HIV Yesterday

<< < (2/7) > >>

Jim Allen:
That's a quick turnaround on the CD4 bloodwork, so 150 / 8% is somewhat on the low side, but no need to panic or stress.

In short, CD4's are white blood cells that fight infection. In the HIV negative population, the average person would have CD4 % in the ranges  30% to 60% or a count of 400+.

No need to panic, though. Once you start HIV treatment, it will suppress the virus and allow your immune system to "heal", for lack of a better phrase. During check-up's, they will monitor how well the treatment is suppressing the virus by checking the amount of virus present in your blood. This is called the viral load.

As your baseline CD4 % is lower, your healthcare provider might temporarily prescribe an antibiotic (Co-trimoxazole) to help prevent infections until your CD4 % rises somewhat and/or your viral load is suppressed. In the long run, once your HIV treatment is suppressing the VL, the CD4 counts become rather irrelevant.

I've moved your thread back to the "I just tested positive section", However, for the time being, please only post any questions, concerns or thoughts you have in this one thread and the forum members will be able to answer you and provide you with support. :)

Jim.

https://www.aidsmap.com/about-hiv/septrin-cotrimoxazole

https://i-base.info/ttfa/section-1/9-interpreting-cd4-results-cd4-count-and-cd4-percentage/

RMalongo:
Hi Tguid,

You are not sick, you carry a virus that can affect your immunity (no to self stigma and others stigma). With the proper treatment, you will soon get undetectable and your life continues (law school and future lawyer).

As hard it can be to discover the news, I advise to seek the help of a therapist (psychologist): this is the most important along with the treatment.

If you need any help or have any questions, this group is really supportive.

Take care and be strong

Tguid13:
Thank you for the support, I really appreciate it. My viral load is around 400k, and I started Biktarvi. So far no side effects and starting the medication has made me feel just slightly better.

How long can it take to become undetectable? I've seen two doctors and 1 said it could be 4-6 weeks while the other doctor said that it could be up to a year. Does it just depend on the individual?

Jim Allen:
Hiya,

Glad to hear you started treatment.

--- Quote ---How long can it take to become undetectable? I've seen two doctors and 1 said it could be 4-6 weeks while the other doctor said that it could be up to a year. Does it just depend on the individual?
--- End quote ---

It just depends. Sure, some people experience that the VL is fully suppressed within a few weeks but I think generally speaking it takes months and for a few, it can take longer.

Has your partner started treatment already?

Tguid13:
Thank you for that information. We both have started treatment. I have a medication box to ensure I never miss a dose and a daily reminder on my phone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version