Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Tested Positive for HIV Yesterday

<< < (6/7) > >>

Tguid13:
So essentially, 6 months from now if I stay below 200 then I will be considered not transmissible? 

Jim Allen:

--- Quote from: Tguid13 on January 13, 2022, 07:51:05 pm ---So essentially, 6 months from now if I stay below 200 then I will be considered not transmissible? 

--- End quote ---

Yeah, keep taking your meds, get the lab results in 6 months.

We have a sticky post that helps explain, https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=71848.0

Tguid13:
Thank you! This resource helps a ton!

leatherman:
200 to 20 has been an evolution of science. Once upon a time 500 was considered the end all be all, and was even the marker for when to start meds (for what they were in the mid-90s). Then it shifted to 350 as more research was done, meds were improved, and even the tests were improved to detect smaller amounts. Eventually the research settled on 200 as the point of successful suppression of HIV; but the tests continued to be improved to 100, 75, 50, 30, to 20. If you wanted, you could even pay for a more refined test that can go as low as single digits (....but what's the need for that?!?).

"undetectable" is actually not a scientific point but an imprecise word. The word is a generalization for "the hiv VL being so low it can't be measured by the test". So the range as described by the word "undetectable" is (scientifically) <200 to perhaps 0 if the test is able to test that low. for example a test that listed <30 as it's end point could actually count 29 virons but still list "undetectable"

as long as your cd4s get above 200 and your VL stays under 200, you have officially "successful suppression" of HIV

Tguid13:
That is so exciting and such good news, today is a great day!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version