Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Tested Positive for HIV Yesterday

<< < (3/7) > >>

Tonny2:

ojo.          Hello and welcome!!!…well, it is what it is, now you know you are hiv positive, now you treat it. As soon as you learn to live with the virus and take your med/s as prescribed, you two will be fine, either together or separately. You two can support each other on this new journey. There is life after an hiv dx we just need to keep living positively, no pun intended…you are not alone we are here to support you… hugs

Tguid13:
Hi everyone! I’m here for an update — one month later. I’ve been on biktarvy and finished my first bottle (woohoo)! I can honestly say that yes, I’m still struggling with mental health issues over the diagnosis, but it honestly has become so routine at this point I don’t think of it much. I’m excited to go to my 6 week check up to see some movement on my VL and CD4 levels. I will say for anyone newly diagnosed:

1. It is your timeline. This is a grieving process, but it does get better. Use the resources that you have. I’m going to therapy where my therapist is an HIV+ man, and he has given me many coping skills. Join online forums, go to local meet ups, do whatever you need to do and have access to help with the mental part of your diagnosis.
2. The medicine works and luckily most people have no side effects. We are in such a lucky era where HIV is truly just a pill a day, and I mean that when I say it. I’m not even UD yet but I already feel so positive about  my future (honestly thanks to my ID doctor and therapy).

Also another huge win, I got into the law school of my dreams!! Things are starting to look up and as scary as it is, reach out to the people who have your back (including me). I’m certain that I will have a normal relationship with sex in the future as long as I take my medicine whenever you that timer on my phone goes off. Also, if you haven’t already make sure to look into copay cards for medication. Fortunately, my insurance covers mine with a $25 copay, but I found coupons that cover the 25 fully.

Life moves on, and yes this diagnosis is horrible, but you get used to it. You almost have to.

I do have a question, however, how long does it typically take patients to reach UD for the first time on biktarvy?

Also, omnicron is a little scary right now so please make sure to wear your masks and wash your hands because COVID is the last thing you need in your life. Sending all positive vibes to my newly diagnosed family.

daveR:
Biktarvy is a good modern regime. I would fully expect your viral load to be well under control when you go for your blood work. Didn't see what your starting figure was but it would be irrelevant as the Biktarvy would have done its job.

You have a good mind set, life does indeed go on now a days with an HIV diagnosis. The modern regimes make it un-noticeable, just a pill a day.

Take care.

Jim Allen:
Hiya,

--- Quote ---Also another huge win, I got into the law school of my dreams!!
--- End quote ---

That's great news, congratulations!

--- Quote ---I do have a question, however, how long does it typically take patients to reach UD for the first time on biktarvy?
--- End quote ---

How long is a piece of string?

So many factors influence this, anyhow, some people experience that the VL is fully suppressed within a few weeks, generally speaking, it takes months and for a few, it can take longer.

If the treatment is working you should be seeing a reduction in the viral load on your next labs, however, don't stress though if it's not reached less than 50 just yet.

TGun:
Couldn't be a better time to get HIV than now.. the meds are incredible and very effective..  I would rather have HIV than Diabetes.   youre gonna take one pill a day and forget about it for the most part after that.  see an ID docter a few time a year which is about it.   keep your head up,, it really isn't all that bad to be honest with you.. really only a mindgame than you need to get over with yourself and move on and enjoy life.!

all the best.. also this forum is a great source of support,, reach out if you need anything

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version