Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:20:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 448
Total: 450

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: POZ in NYC  (Read 8278 times)

Offline Leo114

POZ in NYC
« on: January 13, 2014, 11:11:19 pm »
Reaching out to all POZ guys in NYC area.  I'm looking for friends and people to relate to regarding our situation.

Offline marcmoral16

Re: POZ in NYC
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 02:22:46 am »
Def here if you wanna chat...PM me
Tested Positive Jan 16 2013
CD4 119 6% VL 23980
Started Complera Feb 2013
March CD4 199 9% VL 1000
May CD4 255 12% VL 334
June CD4 284 15% VL 172
Switched to Stribild middle June 2013
July CD4 325 22% VL 51
October CD4 341 23% VL UD!!
Jan 2014 CD4 343 20% VL <20
July 2014 CD4 450 26% VL <20
December 2014 491 26% still UD!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:50:47 am »
Finding other HIV+ guys in NYC? Just turn over any rock -- they're everywhere. Let's start with what you've done already in this regards? If you live out in the suburban areas I agree that's it's more difficult, but if you live in the city there are tons of organizations/resources.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:55:07 am »
Finding other HIV+ guys in NYC? Just turn over any rock -- they're everywhere. Let's start with what you've done already in this regards? If you live out in the suburban areas I agree that's it's more difficult, but if you live in the city there are tons of organizations/resources.

What's wrong with looking on here as well? Nothing. ::)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:05:23 am »
What's wrong with looking on here as well? Nothing. ::)

What's wrong with suggesting being more pro-active in a non-internet-centric life? Nothing. I'm fairly sure most psychologists would agree with me that face to face interaction is more valubable than some eternal Spike Jonze movie.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:40:08 am »
I'm fairly sure most psychologists would agree with me that face to face interaction is more valubable than some eternal Spike Jonze movie.

I'm sure it is too - but the OP is obviously looking for people in his area so it can progress to face-to-face meetings. It's not surprising someone would want to take advantage of being able to feel someone out online first.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:42:58 am »
I'm sure it is too - but the OP is obviously looking for people in his area so it can progress to face-to-face meetings. It's not surprising someone would want to take advantage of being able to feel someone out online first.

Having lived in NYC I'm going to have to claim home-court advantage on this one. But thanks.

I think he'd get more out of investigating affinity groups like Strength-in-Numbers, any of the various "Poz Socials" or attending a drop in "Big Group" meeting at Friends in Deed. Just my opinion, but the Crazy-Quotient can be really high with internet people.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:47:24 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 10:25:45 am »
Having lived in NYC I'm going to have to claim home-court advantage on this one. But thanks.

I have also lived in NYC. Your point? (rhetorical question, don't bother answering)

Just my opinion, but the Crazy-Quotient can be really high with internet people.

Ain't that the truth.

However, at least when choosing to strike up a friendship with someone who posts on this particular on-line support group, you can get a feeling - in most cases - for who you're talking to going by their posting history.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 10:28:07 am »
I have also lived in NYC.

For like 4 seconds when you weren't HIV+ in the last century? It is to laugh.

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 12:00:35 pm »
I'm in NYC and I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to connect with others online. Please try to disregard some of the less than friendly replies you may receive on here; some people have nothing better to do than post contrarian vitrae I suppose. Feel free to message me!
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline Jody

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 09:03:21 pm »
I'm in Queens, NYC and go to Manhattan and Brooklyn fairly often so respond here or PM me if you like.  I've been able to get together with some nice people I've met on this site.  Sometimes we haven't always been able to hook up but I think it's time some of us New Yawka's get together again.  And if anyone is in from out of town at the time they too can come.

Jody :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Leo114

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 10:49:50 pm »
I understand what you're saying Miss Philicia, but it's easier to start where I feel comfortable. I'm a very private guy when it comes to discussing my personal life such as sex, health and a few other crazy tendencies.  ;)

I'm a young successful attractive 29 year old man.  I've met POZ guys that are older, but the age gap can be a challenge if it comes to dating.  Ultimately, I'm looking to make a few friends and maybe more.  I have not gathered all my courage to attend a poz social group or strength in numbers.  Hopefully I will become more comfortable in the near future and attend one of those events.

To everyone else, thanks for the support.  I hope you all are doing well and lets all have a great 2014. 

Offline Jody

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 07:43:28 pm »
I understand what you're saying Miss Philicia, but it's easier to start where I feel comfortable. I'm a very private guy when it comes to discussing my personal life such as sex, health and a few other crazy tendencies.  ;)

I'm a young successful attractive 29 year old man.  I've met POZ guys that are older, but the age gap can be a challenge if it comes to dating.  Ultimately, I'm looking to make a few friends and maybe more.  I have not gathered all my courage to attend a poz social group or strength in numbers.  Hopefully I will become more comfortable in the near future and attend one of those events.

To everyone else, thanks for the support.  I hope you all are doing well and lets all have a great 2014.

It just so happens I am looking for a young, attractive 29 year old!!!  Well I am a bit old for you at 58 but hopefully you will find love and happiness in NYC, you sound like you have a good head start there!  Happy 2014 back at ya.

"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Leo114

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 12:09:27 pm »
Thanks Jody.  ;D

Offline MadisonTeddy

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 09:45:44 am »
I am also recently poz and I prefer to keep my privacy..Going into a public group meeting is very dangerous, UNTIL you are ready and make that decision because rest assured IT will get out in a New York Minute because of people like those who have responded that think you should get a "I am POSITIVE" t-shirt from the diagnosing doctor!! Take your time...reach out on the personals or the forums like you are doing and take your time...Best of luck!!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 09:56:12 am »
People running around spreading rumors after attending an HIV support group in NYC was never my experience, and I attended many such groups throughout the 1990's and early '00s. Just because you are paranoid is no reason to project your fears onto other people.

If being in a group setting makes you nervous my suggestion has always been to attend a Friends in Deed Big Group and just sit inconspicuously in the back of the room. No one will force you to speak, you can just listen.

Offline MadisonTeddy

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 10:28:07 am »
paranoid implies that it is a rare to never occurrence...Even a rare slip, that outs someone can have drastic implications ...Please don't project on me what you think I am feeling...

Offline ShadesOfGrey80

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 01:16:42 am »
Totally understand what you guys are saying. I have only found out 3weeks ago. Although initially I thought about coming out to everyone: friends, family, the whole schbang... but after thinking about it a bit more I realized I don't want to do it just yet. I want to be ready... at least after I have learned more about my body, meds, etc to be able to answer questions my loved ones have.

Living in a big city has its perks, but I don't think I'm ready to deal with rejection yet. Might as well stay home and celibate for a while and meet some folks on here.

Anyway, I might go to NY on business in a month or so. Time to meet some folks from here :-)

Offline novemberguy

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 10:02:36 am »
Are there job opportunities for PLHIV foreigners there in NYC? Its my dream to work there. Im an Asian.

Offline Since2005

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 01:34:36 pm »
Paranoia exists, and I just reinvented it!  ;D

I remember I used to live in a smaller place (lot smaller than NYC) and I used to get this chest pain thinking what if someone finds out that I am HIV+ and announce it via TV if I get into an accident! In a small/ medium size town, news are kinda wired since they usually don't have much to talk about. Lol, I was thinking that because I was rationalizing it by my paranoia. This was during my early DX. So, I can completely understand if some of you feel uncomfortable going into a group settings. I wish I had found this forum then:)...

But, I can assure you that things will get better and you will feel better going into a group settings. May be, for some it takes months and for some it takes years, but eventually you will get there. I didn't start going to groups until recently.

For ones who are comfortable going into group settings or gathering, there is also another place that you can go to besides "friends in deed" group that Miss P mentioned, its a more of a social gathering place than support place usually on Friday night 9pm to 12am @ RITZ bar ( second floor) in HK, NYC.

Cheers

Offline gavelkind

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 03:36:54 pm »
I'm in NYC, and be it paranoia, caution, or a mix, I've also avoided groups. I'm a sarcastic blunt introvert, so large gatherings put me on guard especially ones filled with strangers who won't get my humor. In my head that'd be like putting a clumsy bull inside a china shop. :)

Alas, I've yet to make any positive friends in my age group. Only a fuck buddy or two.
2/13- Diagnosed
3/13- CD4,  885/39%   VL, 135,542
5/13- CD4,  867/46%   VL, 553
6/13- CD4,  720/42%   VL, 32
7/13- CD4,  1095/36%  VL, <20
10/13- CD4, 884/47%   VL, 42
1/14- CD4,  1165/48%  VL, 31
2/14- CD4,  1214/46%  VL, <20
5/14- CD4,  1715/49%  VL, <20
9/14- CD4,  1135/48%  VL, <20

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.