Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:40:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 330
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: book on hiv for mother  (Read 5014 times)

Offline nycpoz

book on hiv for mother
« on: September 21, 2009, 02:39:15 pm »
Hello all - I am HIV+ myself and decided to put this post here because it's really about my mother. I was diagnosed 2 months back, and told my parents a month back. Yesterday, my mother got a panic attack and she was hospitalized ( I am my parents only child, had an elder brother who already died).
My parents are in India, and though well educated they don't know to use computers.

I was thinking on sending them some books about aids/hiv (to educate them; after all my condition is not that bad), but not sure which one. Can someone please suggest me a good read I can send to them.

Thanks.
Kind regards,
H

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: book on hiv for mother
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 04:47:19 pm »
I'm not sure if she would want or need to read the entire book but Dr. Gallant's book puts everything into a good perspective. Maybe if you get the book you can highlight the relevant parts that would put her at ease.

Check out this post from ruralguy, via confidentIwillbeok, where it is summed up very nicely:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=28693.msg353131#msg353131
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 06:59:55 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:27:24 pm »

After I was first diagnosed my ASO gave me a very good book... The First Year- HIV, it was an excellent book that dispelled a lot of myths and gave valuable advice on how to handle things that first year.  It gave a lot of info on treatments, what to look for in a doctor, etc., etc.. 

Hope your mother feels better.  Take care of yourself....
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline confidentIwillbeOK

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 06:26:24 pm »
Here is a link to the book on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/100-Questions-Answers-About-AIDS/dp/0763750425

..it is inexpensive and is a paperback so it would be easy to ship.  The book is very easy and quick to read and gives a lot of good information.  More importantly I think it really humanizes those with HIV....the tone of the book and writing style is very positive.  I like how we uses humor throughout the book (for example the question "Can I keep my pets" starts with "Don't go drowning kitty in the river just because you're positive!"). 

I know there are probably a ton of other good books but I had a hard time finding any!  I went to 4 or 5 book stores and there was basically zilch about HIV/AIDS.  I finally asked at a gay/lesbian bookstore why there were not more books about HIV on the market and the guy who runs the store told me the disease has changed so much so rapidly and has gone out many people's conscience that the market for HIV books kind of dried up.  Of course that was coupled with the availability of online info as well....

I would send them Gallant's book as a start!   

Offline nycpoz

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:19:34 pm »
Thank you guys !! The one by Gallant looks good and easily available. I will try to get it from nearest borders today itself.

regards,
H

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 07:31:31 pm »
nycpoz......sorry but according to Borders website:

Not available in stores.

...you can order from Amazon or their website:

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0763750425

Don't know if it is available retail at other stores but like I said I had a real tough time finding a good and current book and I visited Barnes and Nobles, Borders, B Dalton, 2 other local book stores, and a gay & Lesbian bookstore. 

Offline CHUCK610

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:39:43 pm »
I read both books and found that for an "outsider" like mom that "The First Year - HIV was the best. (just my opinion) so I gave the book to my mother, sister, best friend to read. They all came back with a better understanding of how I was feeling and how they could help in my recovery from the shock of my diagnosis. My mom and I are back to talking about other things and not all about the HIV (though she knows when I'm having a bad day and quotes me on things in the book, its so fucking annoying (just kidding). My mom and I have always been close, and has been a rock for me when I needed her.

Hope you are doing better

Chuck
Diagnosed 5/01/09
cd4 289 vl 20k 20.5%
6/03/09 started med Reyataz, Norvir, Truvada
7/6/09 cd4 463, vl 1,400. 22%
7/22/09 cd4 472 vl 260, 29%
9/1/09 cd4 462 vl 218, 30.8%
10/22/09 cd4 462 vl undetectable (yahoo) 30.6 %
01/21/2010 cd4 537 undetectable  35.8%

Offline nycpoz

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 10:43:13 pm »
Yes you are right confidentwillbeok. I just came back from a store and its not there. I wanted to buy and ship it directly to India, without having to wait for amazon to send it to me. But thats not an option.

Thanks chuck ! I am doing ok, but now my mom lost control. I think we are taking turns :) . But I believe things will be fine eventually.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:49:58 pm »
Ship it directly to India from Amazon!  No need to ship to yourself.  They have 3 different options for Asia/India and the prices go from $4.99 to $29.99 depending on how fast you want it to get there (quickest is 2-4 days and the "normal" speed is 18-31 days).  Here is info on international shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=596188&#country

Skeebo and Chuck....thanks for the recommendation on the "First Year" book.  I checked it out on Amazon's "Click to look inside feature" and it looked really good.  I just ordered it.  Thanks.

Offline Dale Parker

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 10:34:29 pm »
When I first tested positive I pick up a number of free articles and pamphlets from my local aids group.  They had about 30 different multi sheet packages on almost every aspect of HIV.  Basically they covered everyting from HIV 101 to dealing with the emotional aspects, pages about all the test, how they work and what the numbers mean and even pages on how to tell your family and what they should know about it.
May be your local group has the same type of things.
Apr 09  CD4 21, CD4/CD8 ratio 0 VL 500,000+
July 09 CD4 158, CD4/CD812% VL 750
Oct 09 CD4 157 CD4/CD8 14% VL UD
Feb 10 CD4 197, CD4/CD8 11% VL UD
May 10  CD4 252 CD4/CD8 12% VL UD
Aug 10 CD4 211 VL UD
Nov 10 CD4 272 CD4/CD8 0.138 VL UD

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 11:00:44 pm »

After I was first diagnosed my ASO gave me a very good book... The First Year- HIV, it was an excellent book that dispelled a lot of myths and gave valuable advice on how to handle things that first year.  It gave a lot of info on treatments, what to look for in a doctor, etc., etc.. 

Very good rec Thomas.  That book should be mandatory reading for anyone newly diagnosed (and their loved ones).

Nycpoz, I hope that your mother's doing better.

m.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 11:53:01 pm »
This is the book (but the 2005 edition) that my previous clinic gave to me. Available through Amazon. Link follows:  http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Guide-to-Living-with-HIV-Infection/John-G-Bartlett/e/9780801884856

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 03:19:53 am »
That book should be mandatory reading for anyone newly diagnosed (and their loved ones).

I fully agree.  One of the best books I've read on the subject thus far regarding the newbies... 

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.