Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:11:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773357
  • Total Topics: 66356
  • Online Today: 187
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 125
Total: 125

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Grindr defends sharing user HIV status: "the information will become public"  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Skydrake

Grindr responded Monday to revelations that it allowed third parties to view the HIV status of users, saying its customers had the option not to supply sensitive information. It acknowledged that information on users' HIV status, including the date they were last tested for the virus.
The statement came after Buzzfeed reported earlier on Monday that the dating app was sharing users' HIV status and "last tested date" with Apptimize and Localytics, as well as GPS data, phone ID and email.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/02/gay-dating-app-grindr-reportedly-shares-user-hiv-status-with-other-companies.html

The answer to upset users of Chen Scott, Grindr Chief Technology Officer, was:
"It's important to remember that Grindr is a public forum. We give users the option to post information about themselves including HIV status and last test date, and we make it clear in our privacy policy that if you choose to include this information in your profile, the information will also become public."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/03/599069424/grindr-admits-it-shared-hiv-status-of-users

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-02/grindr-responds-to-privacy-criticism-by-saying-it-s-a-public-forum
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:04:09 am by Skydrake »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Yeah, seem like they were sharing the data and tried to defend it, backlash to this could take a while to settle particularly if it leads to court cases

Jim

http://www.hivireland.ie/grindr-facing-investigation-for-allegedly-breaching-european-data-protection-laws/

Gay hook-up app Grindr is now facing a legal challenge following the revelation that it has been sharing user’s HIV status with third-party companies.

Gay Community News, 4th April 2018 (written by Katie Donohoe)

Grindr’s decision to share users’ HIV status with third-party companies could land the gay hook-up app in court after a complaint was filed against it for allegedly breaching European law.

Along with the user’s status, their GPS data, phone ID, email, sexual orientation, relationship status, the gay ‘tribe’ they consider themselves a part of, and their ethnicity, was shared with third party analytics companies. In light of the revelations, Grindr announced it will cease sharing the sensitive data but user’s of the app are being urged they are fully aware of the potential use of data they provide.

The Norwegian Consumer Council is not satisfied with Grindr’s decision and has filed a complaint with the Norwegian Data Protection Authority alleging that Grindr breached data protection laws.
Greater Transparency Needed

HIV Ireland has stated that Grindr’s disclosure of user’s HIV status without permission was unacceptable. Niall Mulligan, Executive Director of HIV Ireland stated today that ‘While Grindr’s ultimate response to this unwarranted disclosure is welcome, the situation of disclosing a person’s HIV status without their permission should never have occurred in the first place.

‘Disclosing one’s HIV status is a private decision. People who share their HIV status on Grindr are making a personal choice to share information with other Grindr users only. Grindr must now win back the trust of its users by ensuring this decision to cease disclosing their user’s HIV status to third parties holds fast.’

HIV Ireland is calling on all social media outlets to ensure their users are fully aware of the potential use of all data they are providing in order for them to make an informed choice as to what personal information to share or not.

This is crucial given the stigma that attaches to people living with HIV in Ireland and the potential risks to their employment and personal life that continue to be a serious problem in our society.

For information about HIV, testing, safer sex and support please visit – www.hivireland.ie; www.man2man.ie; www.positivenow.ie

© 2018 GCN (Gay Community News). All rights reserved.

https://gcn.ie/grindr-facing-investigation-allegedly-breaching-european-data-protection-laws/
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
no different from the problems with Facebook, etc. When you gave these apps your information, you gave permission and access to that data. Caveat emptor - even for the supposedly "free" apps.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Agreed. I had a discussion at work about google and "free" or discounted services offered on phones vs the trade that is of course your data. Nothing is truly free.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline kentfrat1783

• Instagram: kentfrat1783
I guess I come from the thinking that if you willingly put it on the internet, then anyone can get it and use it.  The service is "free" but it's only "free" as someone else is paying in some fashion.  Your HIV status is an optional field, and it's optional for a reason.

Heck, I've been trying to find an old friend/boss and I can't find him on any social media.  But through public records I've been able to figure out his birthday, prior address, middle initial and so much more information within about 30 minutes. 

Now I'm not saying that personal health records, bank account numbers, etc should be given out, but if you willingly put it on an APP then don't be shocked when others get it. 

Now what is funny is I deal a lot with Title IX where I work so we are to tell our students to turn off the "location" feature on their phones so others can't rack them (i.e. stalking).  But, at my work we use geolocation/fencing marketing to the same students for different sales pitches. 

If you don't want it out their then don't willingly put in on an APP.
Date - CD4 - Percent - VL
08/23/23 - 366 - 26%
06/20/23 - 349 - 21% - UD
04/15/23 - 229 - 19% - <20
11/14/22 - 486 - 24% - 73
10/12/22 - 316 - 19% - <20
06/20/22 - 292 - 21% - <20
01/25/22 - 321 - 22% - <20
09/22/21 - 278 - 19% - <20
02/02/21 - 225 - 19% - <20
06/08/20 - 257 - 20% - <20
03/17/20 - 285 - 19% - 101 (2.00)
12/17/19 - 290 - 20% - <20
09/17/19 - 218 - 16%
06/18/19 - 173 - 16% - <20
03/13/19 - 170 - 16% - <20
January 2019 - Started Triumeq
12/05/08 - 174 - 18% - <20
08/28/18 - 166 - 15% - <20
05/08/18 - 106 - 11% - <20
03/05/18 -   90 - 10% - <20
12/11/17 -   60 -   8%
09/07/17 -   42 -   6% - 54 (1.70)
May 2017 - Started Atripla
05/11/17 -    2 -    1% - 169,969 (5.23)
OI's: PCP
Dx`d May 11, 2017

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Grindr getting sued again.

https://www.poz.com/article/grindr-sued-uk-allegedly-sharing-users-hiv-status-private-info

A lawsuit filed in London’s High Court alleges that gay dating app Grindr shared users’ personal information, including HIV status and date of most recent HIV test, The Guardian reports. According to the lawsuit filed by the firm Austen Hays, Grindr shared the private data with two advertising companies without users’ consent.

About 670 people in the United Kingdom signed on to the data protection lawsuit, but thousands more may join the case. The alleged breaches of personal data took place between April 2018 and April 2020.

In a statement published in Reuters, a Grindr spokesperson said, “Grindr has never shared user-reported health information for ‘commercial purposes’ and has never monetized such information.”

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.