Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:15:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 673
Total: 673

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How to safely discontinue HARRT?  (Read 6155 times)

Offline donniec6839

How to safely discontinue HARRT?
« on: March 09, 2022, 04:43:55 pm »
Hello Forum

Background: I have been POS since 1987 and took, first, AZT & Epivir, starting in 1994 and then Combovir from 1996 to 2007. I then stopped taking meds under doctors supervision (he said at the time it was ok and my choice) and have had good lab / blood counts through out my HIV history, with all undetectable and only below 500 T-Cell counts twice, with the most recent <500 result in 2015 just before I went on Stribild and later to my current med, Genvoya.

The reason for my question, is that I want a contingency plan, in case meds are temporarily unavailable for an extended period of time.

I had read somewhere, but since can't find source, that taking AZT after stopping HARRT helps. 

I am NOT asking this question to encourage any body to discontinue HARRT, just what to do if one has no choice.

Thanks so much in advance.

I look forward to replies.

Sincerely,

Donnie C
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 07:18:23 pm by Jim Allen »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: How to safely discontinue HARRT?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 07:03:58 pm »
that taking AZT after stopping HARRT helps. 
nope, that's not correct at all. AZT is an ancient drug rarely used and not approved for first line treatment.

The best way to stop HARRT is to simply stop. Spacing out meds (to ease out of treatment or when running out) or taking another med - without it being a part of a full 3-drug regimen, can lead to resistance. That can ruin the regimen you're on if you want to go back or can ruin future regimens if that resistance is against components of other regimens.

If you're going to stop meds going cold-turkey is the best bet.

I could tell you all the blah, blah, blah about making sure to NOT stop meds but your doctor seems to have covered that. However, I have to encourage people to stay adherent as the two times I stopped meds (95, 97 due to major side effects and no other meds available) within 6 months I was in the hospital and nearly dying - literally dying... with PCP on both my 36th and 38th birthdays. I'll be celebrating 24 yrs since that last hospital visit when I turn 60 next week (which btw is when I will have lived literally twice as long as my first partner who died in 94. (whoa. wow))

maybe you if mention where you live, someone could offer some suggestions about how to not run out of meds. (for example in the USA you can refill scripts early and gain a extra dose every once in a while stockpiling up a stash or maybe just get hooked up with the state's Ryan white program)

if you can still edit your post, you should probably remove your personal info so you don't have issues with with all that out there. I already mentioned this to the moderators in case your edit time is expired ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline donniec6839

Re: How to safely discontinue HARRT?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 02:30:04 am »
Thank you Leatherman for your reply and contacting the forum admin.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.