Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:49:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 412
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 386
Total: 388

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Rainbow  (Read 7137 times)

Offline Rainbow

Rainbow
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:44:37 am »
Jim, You seem somewhat knowledgeable on the subject so I wanted to ask your opinion on a similar case...
My husband was diagnosed with aids, and a brain cryptoccoma in 2017.
His viral load was nearing 300,000 and his CD4 was 28.
Currently, 2019 and he is undetectable. However his CD4 is only around 76.
It's our main focus right now and we are at a loss as to why and how to help :/

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Rainbow
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 11:13:09 am »
Hiya

Sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis, glad on the HIV side that he is on treatment and its suppressed the virus.

How does he feel?

I moved your post btw to this section "Someone I Care About Has HIV". feel free to post or reply in this section with any concerns, questions you might have on HIV or HIV treatment/care and other forum members can reply to you here. Off topic is also open to you, as a HIV Negative member for posts unrelated to HIV.

However his CD4 is only around 76.
It's our main focus right now and we are at a loss as to why and how to help :/

How to help? - Not.

CD4 is not a measurement of health, focusing on it certainly is not helpful mentally for either of you as its basically worrying about something you can't change, and neither does his CD4 count indicate how well those cells are working

Its not the goal of his HIV treatment either, his ART treatment is simply to suppress the virus so it can no longer do uncontrolled damage, and so the bosy can focus on "healing" instead of a loosing battle, CD4 recovery is largely just up to the immune system and patience.

In short nothing else or anything you can think of will increase his CD4 count in any measurable or suitable manner. What he can do is focus on what you can change generally live healthier if he is not doing so already, nothing major just start leading a healthier. Think better food, more exercise, less stress, cutting out bad habits like smoking or drinking etc etc

Jim

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-nutrition

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-exercise

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-smoking 

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-depression
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:29:25 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Rainbow

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 12:40:36 pm »
Jim, Thanks for your response  :)  I suppose knowing there's nothing we can do about it could make me feel better lol but it doesn't. The thought that his immune system is so weak and he could get sick so easily weighs on our minds a lot.

He feels ok. Honestly I think he's doing really well considering. The only problems he has is fatigue, muscle weakness/aches, and the memory/cognition problems from his cryptococcoma (brain infection).

I know the medical system doesn't know much about the immune system and I've done my share of research regarding the topic. The best information I've found so far refers to the "lymphatic system" and how it deal with the body's immune system. Thus having a clean lifestyle is the best way to help the immune system.

He doesn't drink or smoke cigarettes (he does use cannabis (vape) tho). He eats a vegan diet (which he's been on for 10 years). I would say he's a very healthy man and is doing really well considering he almost died 1 1/2 ago!  ;D

I'm just on the search for a way to help him raise his CD4! Which is very low I'm told. But no one seems to know why or how to change it. Very frustrating  ::)

I'm looking forward to checking out the other topics on the forum and sharing all the information with my husband!  :D

Thanks again! If you hear anything please do let me know!
Peace in & Love out  :-*

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 01:45:04 pm »
I would argue the medical system knows more than ever before and generally more than anyone else on the topic  ;)

Look I'm not telling you that there is no point focusing on something you can't change to make you feel better, I know that sounds crude but I do want you to consider worrying about things outside your control is futile and a waste of energy and time.

Particularly as the numbers your focused on even as low ones are with treated HIV far less relavent.

The reason you can't find an answer in short is because your looking for something that doesn't exist, I'm sure you have seen all the snake oil salesmen along the way.

I'll also say it's only been 1,5 years post being sick and starting treatment for HIV slightly after so it's going to take time for his immune system to heal or make any recovery visable in numbers

The thought that his immune system is so weak and he could get sick so easily weighs on our minds a lot.

Yeah I used to duck when people sneezed, as if it makes any difference . Took me a while to digest that my low CD4'S simply did not mean all that much except for avoiding raw or undercooked foods for a while and taking antibiotics

Have either of you spoken to your doctor about this topic  and having said that have either of you been getting any counselling post dignoisis?

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.