Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

MY SISTER, ? RESENTLY Dx, but is it TRUE?

(1/1)

sgtmom:
My name is Sue.  My baby sister, we call her Lu, says she was just diagnosed thru our local health dept.  There are things she has said about her positive Dx, that just doesn't make any sense. 
A bit of her past history. Heavy drug use, prostitution, prison, this last 1 yr. involved in an abusive lesbian relationship, & relapsed 3 times. Twice in prison.  She has been (appeared to be, clean, holding a full time job/car loan, rent) living "the American dream"...an honest days work.  Accumulating debts & reconnecting with her (typical) teenage 14 yr old daughter (who has been being raised by one of our sisters, along with her 2 brothers).
Two wks ago, Lu, left her job (without notice), defaulted on her car loan, called our mother to say she is HIV positive-2nd stage (WHAT DOES THAT MEAN), she was leaving town to DIE alone, etc.
She is now back in town (????), back at the place she originally was living, the YWCA.  My family believes her story about HIV, I have questions about it? 
Can someone tell me anything that can maybe help me figure out it this is truth or excuse to cover up a drug problem?  Are there stages of AIDS?  It isn't unusual for her to lie about the "stupids" things, of course.  I do know one fact a year ago her liver enzymes are super high from past drug abuse.  She came out of prison one year ago very much overweight.  She lost weight only within the past 3 months drastically.  Actually looks anorexia's, but that I am sure isn't due to Anorexia's behavior.  Just very fast weight loss.  From size 16-18 to now about a Size 1-2.  It's not good.  Please any info/help/advise would be so much appreciated. I am so glad I have found this site.  God Bless everyone here.  Thank you, too.  Sue

Ann:
Hi Sue, and welcome to the forums.

I've moved your thread over to the "I Just Tested Poz" forum where your questions will get more feedback.

Without knowing your sister's numbers, it's difficult to know what to say, but I'm guessing what she means is that her numbers aren't very good and she needs to start treatment.

Please check out the Just Tested Poz Welcome Thread and follow the links to the Lessons section of this website. You'll find very good, understandable, basic information there. If possible, it might be a good idea to print some of the lessons out for your sister. (most of them have printable versions) Knowledge is power and you will be doing your sister a very good service by getting information to her.

Thank you for caring about your sister and wanting to help her with her new diagnosis. She will probably be very scared right now, so your support is very important. Please tell her that she can live a long life if she works with her doctor and begins to learn about this disease. It is no longer a death sentence - tell her she isn't going to die anytime soon.

Feel free to come back with anything that might be on your mind or questions that come up when you read through the lessons.

Hang in there... and thanks again for being there for your sister. Give her a hug from me, OK?

Ann

aztecan:
Hi Sue,
Just to follow up on what Ann said, your sister is probably going through a tough time right now. It is possible she received some bad news regarding her numbers and went off the deep end, so to speak.
It also is possible, having dealt with quite a few people who are drug users, she is covering for a relapse - falling off the wagon, so to speak.

Since I don't know your sister, I really don't know what is going on, but the type of weight loss you describe is indicative something is happening.

She is undoubetdly very scared right now and does need your support. I wish I could offer more concrete sugggestions.

Hang in there and keep us posted on how things are going with your sister.

HUGS,

Mark

allopathicholistic:

--- Quote from: sgtmom on August 03, 2006, 09:48:31 am ---Are there stages of AIDS? 

--- End quote ---

Hi Sue. The hospital *I* go to classifies AIDS two stages (summary below) ... But I don't know the *official* answer to your question. I'm certain someone here does and will chime in.

- Asymptomatic: Which means the person has HIV and a low CD4 count BUT the person does NOT HAVE opportunistic infections nor adverse conditions typically associated with AIDS e.g. KS, CMV, PCP, wasting, diarrhea, shingles, thrush, etc.

- Symptomatic: Which means the person has HIV and a low CD4 count AND the person DOES HAVE one or more opportunistic infections and/or adverse conditions typically associated with AIDS e.g. KS, CMV, PCP, wasting, diarrhea, shingles, thrush, etc.

The above I learned by looking through the paperwork copies given to me by my hospital

God bless you as well  8)  And your baby sister of course  8)

We're here for her every step of the way  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version