Bienvenido(a), Visitante. Por favor, ingresa o regístrate.
Marzo 19, 2024, 06:40:25 am

Ingresar con nombre de usuario, contraseña y duración de la sesión

Usuarios
Stats
  • Total de Mensajes: 772787
  • Total de Temas: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (Junio 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Usuarios en Línea
Users: 4
Guests: 226
Total: 230

Bienvenido

Bienvenido a los Foros Comunitarios de POZ, un área de discusión contínua para personas con VIH/SIDA, sus amigos/familiares/personas que los cuidan, y otros a quienes les interese el tema del VIH/SIDA. Haz clic en los enlaces que siguen para visitar nuestros foros, o participa de la conversación al inscribirte en el sector izquierdo de esta página.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here(Members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí(Sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Advertencia sobre la privacidad: Ten en cuenta que estos foros están abiertos para todos y que se los puede encontrar haciendo búsquedas en Google u otros buscadores. Si eres VIH positivo y lo revelas en nuestros foros, es lo mismo que decírselo al mundo entero (o al menos al mundo entero en Internet). Si esto te preocupa, no uses un nombre de usuario o una imagen gráfica que pueda identificarte de alguna manera. No autorizamos borrar nada de los que escribas en los foros, por lo tanto piensa antes de hacerlo.

• La información que los moderadores y miembros comparten en estos foros, está diseñada para complementar, y no para reemplazar la relación entre un individuo y su médico de cabecera.

• Todos los miembros de estos foros, en consecuencia, no son considerados proveedores médicos con licencia. De lo contrario, los usuarios deben identificarse a sí mismos como tales.

• Los miembros de los foros siempre deben comportarse con respeto y honestidad. La publicación de guías, incluyendo políticas de suspensiones y prohibiciones han sido establecidas por los moderadores de estos foros. Haga clic aquí para las guías de publicación de “¿Estoy infectado?” Haga clic aquí para leer las guías de publicación relacionadas con todos los otros foros comunitarios de POZ.

• Solicitamos a todos los miembros de los foros que proporcionen referencias sobre la información relacionada con la salud/médica/científica que brinden, cuando no se trate de una experiencia personal que estén compartiendo. Por favor proporcionen enlaces con direcciones de Internet completas o citas completas de trabajos publicados que no estén disponibles en Internet. Además, todos los miembros de los foros deben publicar información que sea verdadera y correcta de acuerdo con su conocimiento.

• Los anuncios de productos – incluyendo enlaces, banderas, contenido editorial y estudios clínicos, estudios o participación en encuestas – está estrictamente prohibido por los miembros de los foros a menos que POZ haya asegurado el permiso.

¿Has terminado de leer esta parte? Puedes cerrar esta o cualquier otra ventana en esta página haciendo click en el símbolo de cada ventana.

Autor Tema: Job Search  (Leído 2213 veces)

Desconectado RobbyR

Job Search
« en: Enero 19, 2016, 04:37:39 pm »
Hey thought I'd post an update about things with me. I'm doing great on my new medication regimen, and the last 3 months have been working with a local Career Agency who help people with certain disabilities find employment. I found out last year that I have very mild autism.

I've been meeting with this case worker at this agency which I was referred to in November. She says she thinks I am highly competent, well spoken, and considers me one of if not the most capable client of hers. I've met with her like 4 times now. The initial meeting, and then a few meetings to narrow down areas I am interested in and strengths to try and find a suitable place of employment.

The lady is extremely nice, but seems to be overwhelmed with her case load of clients. She always says that she's confident that they'll help me find a position, but I am getting discouraged it's been since late November since I've been seeing her and still haven't gotten any interviews or been sent anywhere for one.

I am a well spoken capable individual but my autism has made social anxiety and certain sensitivities that have caused me to have little to no work history. The case worker things I would be good in a semi professional setting but the trick is finding one.

How much longer am I going to have to wait? I've put in multiple applications in the last few weeks and am just waiting. She says once one contacts me that she'll then reach out on my behalf and do her best to help me get the job.

I don't want to be endlessly job hunting, but also I have to be somewhat picky because with autism a lot of environmental and the type of work it is can cause pretty big sensitivities.

So should I just keep looking on my own and working with this case worker? It seems like she just keeps bringing me back in every couple of weeks but no actual progress is being made nor are any interviews happening. Just unsure of what to do.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Desconectado Gruff

Re: Job Search
« Respuesta #1 en: Enero 19, 2016, 08:41:52 pm »
Robby, I would definitely proceed on two tracks:  let the case worker work for you (but you are correct, she is probably swamped with things to do), but also try on your own. 

Keep these tips in mind:

1) A resume should not just list employment, so your lack of long-term employment should not mean a short resume.  Resumes should list all experiences, whether paid or not.

2) Most people have more skills than they give themselves credit for.  Were you ever an officer in a school club?  Then don't just list that fact, explain what you accomplished, ie, "coordinated 15 successful meetings," "recruited 8 new members," "designed and planned event X," etc.  Ever volunteer at a soup kitchen or church youth group?  You may have skills in teamwork, customer service, attention to detail, etc.

3) There is no such thing as a generic resume.  You are *marketing* yourself just as you would market a product: it's NOT about you, it's about identifying the company's needs and showing how you can meet THEIR needs.

4) If you are applying online, be aware that many companies use software that matches key words on a resume with key words in their job ad.  Try to incorporate the key words from the job ad into your resume for THAT job.

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions you might have.  I've been the chair of a College business department for 18 years and deal with job hunts on a daily basis.
12/28/2015  VL ud  CD4 462  40%
06/08/2015  VL ud  CD4 647  39%
10/21/2014  VL ud  CD4 378  44%
06/12/2014  VL ud  CD4 725  37%
03/14/2014  VL 29  CD4 597  35%
11/14/2013  VL ud  CD4 595  37%
08/12/2013  VL ud  CD4 557  33%
04/22/2013  VL 43  CD4 430  31%
01/16/2013  VL ud  CD4 524   34%
09/28/2012  VL 59  CD4 471  31%
06/05/2012  VL ud  CD4 650  32%
02/27/2012  VL ud  CD4 503  28%
11/25/2011  VL ud  CD4 765  32%
06/17/2011  VL ud  CD4 660  29%
11/03/2010  VL ud  CD4 654  31%
07/15/2010  VL ud  CD4 507  27%
03/25/2010  VL ud  CD4 741  23%
11/19/2009  VL 59  CD4 704  24%
08/17/2009  VL 89  CD4 493  18%
05/06/2009  VL 105 CD4 545  17%
01/26/2009  VL ud  CD4 585  16%
11/26/2008  VL 247 CD4 338  13%
06/28/2008  VL 3,308,049  CD4 444

Desconectado RobbyR

« Respuesta #2 en: Enero 24, 2016, 05:48:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I've decided to try and get something in my field (criminal justice) and do security work which would pay decently also. I'm also pursuing Toyota, which would have amazing pay, providing I can handle the backbreaking work of it, but that paycheck sure would be worth it. There are also some factory jobs that I'm looking at too. I'd much prefer any of those than deal with office bullshit and fake brown nosing in offices. Plus I could never do retail or customer service in a million years and those don't pay enough to live on anyway. Things are looking up!

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Desconectado OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Respuesta #3 en: Enero 28, 2016, 11:47:30 am »
Robby,

Gruff gives very good advice on the job application process and writing a resume. 

I am also searching for another job and have worked in professional development.

Although employers have a online portal for applicants to type in their information, many also request that you upload a cover letter and resume. Their systems then populate data entry fields from information listed in your resume. You will likely have the option to review and edit the data entry fields as needed.

Other employers may request that you email a cover letter and/or resume.

Here are a few additional quick suggestions for creating your cover letter and resume:

1) Cover Letter: The cover letter essentially reaffirms the company (business name and salutation) and position for which you are applying.  It also summarizes your qualifications and "fit" (your professional profile in addition to matching keywords) for the position. Think of it as the first page of your "self marketing brochure".  The cover letter can be from 3/4  to 1 page long and include your signature block and contact information.

2) Presentation Visual Cues: When creating your cover letter and resume, make sure you have enough white space, use bullet points, add bold font section headings, provide succinct yet potent descriptors, and use at least 12 point size font. This visual layout helps to grab the attention of the reader given the short time recruiters take to read the many submissions they receive.

3) Be Truthful: Be truthful about your qualifications. For example, don't list a skill in a software application or procedure you do not have.  Do, however, play up your "ability to learn".

Wishing you good luck!

Take care,

OT
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Desconectado mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Respuesta #4 en: Enero 28, 2016, 06:46:10 pm »
Robby you can find lots of tips and models for resumes and cover letters at MIT Career Services online.

I seem to remember this - you have a college degree, and no work experience. Is that right? How many years? I get the impression its quite a number of years you finished school.

I would keep working with the case worker because maybe she has an angle on how to sell you.  But, I would get out there and meet people and apply for jobs based on your personality, character and professional appearance. If your resume is empty of real jobs, I personally don't see that paper as being a very convincing document or useful document for you getting your foot in the door. So my take is not the same as Gruffs. 

I think someone is going to hire you because they like what they see in front of them - you the person - and because you get a chance to impress them face-to-face that you want to work for their company and for them. I doubt your resumé alone will get you many nibbles. You have to get out there and knock on doors somehow.

You should also try information interviewing. This doesn't apply to non-professional jobs however. Far as I know. But it means using school alumni networks or friends or friends of friends, or family, to find people who do the work you might like to do, and getting an interview to ask them about the work and for tips on getting a job.  Not to ask for a job!

I actually got jobs in NYC that way.

Also two times I got job offers by writing letters to VIP people I wanted to work for, and I didn't even send a resume with my letter. It was very old fashioned and I said interesting things in a well-written letter and that was enough for them to invite me to meet them. 

You write pretty well so your cover letter is going to be more valuable then your resume. Write it very specifically to a person, and treat that person like someone you want to meet and want to talk to, in your letter. Never send a form-like cover letter. Especially if your resume is meh.   In my opinion, of course. But what do I know, really. 

Anyway, that's my take on things.  Keep on trucking at it and good luck.
« última modificación: Enero 28, 2016, 06:56:55 pm por mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Desconectado RobbyR

« Respuesta #5 en: Enero 28, 2016, 08:31:48 pm »
Thanks for the tips, I'm making progress, I have very high functioning autism so I don't have major issues with interviews or how to carry myself, etc, usually it just comes down to lack of work experience or whether they want to offer me the job. I usually do quite well in interviews. Got one next week, had to get my college transcript today to send to them.

The thing going for me is that although I don't have much on paper except a degree and just a few personal attributes, I do have decent references and I tend to present well and can usually handle interviews and make good impressions. Not always of course but some of that is personality based too sometimes you just don't click with someone and that makes them not hire you.

Last year I actually got several offers after interviews but at that time I was still in no shape to hold down a job because of issues I was dealing with.

Now I am back in the game though and I hope persistence will pay off soon!

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.