Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 383
Total: 383

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: resistant virus  (Read 6139 times)

Offline zeb

resistant virus
« on: March 28, 2007, 04:04:03 pm »
I wonder,...

How big is the chance to become infected with a multile drug resistant virus which is untreatable?

Zeb

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: resistant virus
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 04:10:00 pm »
Thoroughly untreatable?  By any and all kinds of regimen combinations?  I'd guess really, really small. 

EDITED FOR:  Why are you asking this?  I see that you are new here and this is in the Just Tested Poz section.  Are you letting your mind go into a bit of a rampant run here?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 04:12:53 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 06:54:35 pm »

Peter Staley did an interview with the doctor of the now infamous NY "superinfection" patient, and (if I recall correctly) the doc said that he was now undetectable with fuzeon in his combo.

b

Offline Central79

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 07:05:13 am »
I think the incidence of drug resistant virus (resistant to one drug/class) is about 10%. I've never heard of anybody who was totally untreatable - not even that guy in Amsterdam.

I think this probably unlies the importance of getting a genotype done ASAP after diagnosis - it's at this point that you have the best chance of picking up mutant strains of the virus. I only learnt this recently, so I'm going to have to get on to my doctors and see if it was done.

All the best,

M.

Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline NewYorkKat

• Hangin' On Staying Strong
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:13:46 am »
though there is treatment for the strains, that doesn;t mean to go out and have unprotected sex. we must all protect ourselves. play safe!

Offline way.out.west

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 01:52:47 am »
I agree with Matt on this - the overall chance of getting a virus that is resistant to a class of drugs is around 10%.  Here's a link that gives details on how the resistance breaks down by class of drugs:  http://www.thebody.com/newsroom/2003/jul16_03/hiv_resistance.html

You should have a genotype done at some point before you start meds so that doctors will know which drugs your virus might be resistant to.

Offline kellyspoppi

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 05:29:49 pm »
hi zeb, i got your request and thought i sent you a decent response, but for some reason i don't think it posted.
before i go writing it all over again, let me know if you in fact received it, and if not, when you reply, give me your current numbers from the dr.
also, i agree with what others say above about the genotype and phenotype tests being done. this will help dr know what meds you may already be crossresistent to.
keep positive outlook and stay on this sight. there are several long term survivors here to provide you with plenty of hope and advise.
i'll keep an eye out for your posts.
kellyspoppi

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.