Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:05:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 618
Total: 618

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Regional and international slang for Daniel  (Read 11444 times)

Offline DANIELtakashi

Re: Regional and international slang for Daniel
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2016, 05:16:51 am »
The Rio Olympics is over.
Suddenly we have Tokyo 2020 signs everywhere.
I personally feel that they should have given this chance to another country because Japan had one in 1964. 

The last Olympics  in Tokyo took place only 19 years after the war.
The city had revived from the ruins by that time and a good number of athletes came from our former enemy countries. That was something that made us realize that we were in a new age.   Two of my uncles were lost in the Pacific War, one in the Marianas and the other in China.  They would have been stunned to see so many people from all over the world in this country.   l was born that year.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:19:45 am by DANIELtakashi »
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline DANIELtakashi

What are your favorite songs from the 80s?
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2016, 07:07:16 am »
From Tokyo.

I am just curious.
What are your favorite songs from the 1980s?
There is a seven-eleven store in the building l work in and they are always playing on the radio the music station exclusively for the songs from those years. Today l heard,  The Tide is High, by Blondie.  Reminiscent.
Japanese National.

Offline zach

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2016, 07:39:37 am »
i've successfully blocked the 80s from memories, i took lessons from reagan

this thread is a helpful reminder. i commonly use expressions and figures of speech that a american probably doesn't understand (some of them only southern people will understand)

"waiting for the other shoe to drop"

daniel, do you understand that phrase? i just used it but it occured to me that it might make no sense to that poster.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2016, 07:46:18 am »
Zach,

I have just checked that idiom in the dictionary.
Idioms like that are exactly what l want to know.
Thanks.
Japanese National.

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2016, 11:05:37 am »
Hey Daniel,

Camden town,London circa 1984(i think) - bleached jeans,12 high doc martins(boots),Great coat,Ziggy stardust hair,androgynous and affected look of alienation.I thought i was David Bowie at my perceived best..and Sting,necessarily at my worst.Listening to Iggy pop,the Cocteau twins,John cooper clarke and various others,in part to protest the horrors of the Thatcher/Reagan years that Zach mentioned..but mostly just for the attitude and look.Ohh the perils of youth.
I hear kids asking what it was like to live in the 80`s, like we used to ask about the 60`s.Suffice to say the 80`s were marked by crass individualism and were  the beginnings of the truly vicious neo-liberalism(neither new nor liberal).
I sometimes hear the music i loathed then but feel affectionate about now just cuz of nostalgia and the foolishness of youth.

Hope all well with you,P. :)

Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2016, 08:59:50 pm »
I was still a 'yoot' in the 80s, and loved the music. Went from pop music in early 80s (I was still VERY young) to punk in the mid-80s and then predominantly hip-hop in the late 80s.

It's funny though, some of the pop music back then which seemed so innocent and poppy but looking back, they had underlying messages which just went over my head at the time. Haysi Fantayzee's 'John Wayne Is Big Leggy' being all about anal sex, Blow Monkeys 'Digging Your Scene' being about AIDS etc. The view that the 80s was all about vacuous pop music and sharp suits and BMWs and huge outsized mobile phones doesn't fit with what was a really creative time for music across multiple genres.

Music-wise, I'd pick that decade over the dirgy stuff that gets pumped out by the gallon these days, anyway.

Edit: Talking of 'Digging Your Scene', just found this rather excellent recent (2011) acoustic version of it. The singer is a bit more portly than back in the day, but his voice is still great and the lyrics are so poignant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L066E-IqhEM
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:16:15 pm by CaveyUK »
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.