Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:47:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 222
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Might be losing insurance freaking out  (Read 4442 times)

Offline tippytu

Might be losing insurance freaking out
« on: May 17, 2015, 01:30:32 pm »
It is a possibility hubby may not have a job soon! I'm freaking out..idk how we will pay for meds?? I know we make to much for state assistance but not enough to cover the 6k we need every month for meds..we will lose everything can't stop crying....help any advice?

Offline zach

Re: Might be losing insurance freaking out
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 01:56:09 pm »
whoa whoa, slow down

even if it comes to that, no one pays for meds.. no one can afford them

reach out to your doctor, get in contact with your local ASO, start lining up case management and assistance. you local health department can also advise you

be proactive, you don't want to be pushed running without while you play catch up getting connected to assistance

there are many programs, you'll get signed up for something like ryan white

it'll mean disclosure will be involved, go ahead and get comfortable with that

Offline tippytu

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 02:49:20 pm »
Even if I have a decent income? Everything I've looked into you had to be low income..I'm not trying to get out of paying or anything for free I just know even with my income I wouldn't be able to pay for anything but meds

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 03:05:32 pm »
It may take some arranging but you will get your meds . If you have to go the co pay assistance route with vouchers from the drug companies or some other plan you will be covered somehow . Keep posting as things progress and I am sure others in the same situation will give you sound advice .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline tippytu

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 03:16:20 pm »
Thanks guys sorry I'm freaking out so much..didn't sleep much last night die to anxiety & worry..haven't seen my hubby in over 5 weeks & I'm just get overwhelmed

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 03:26:38 pm »
If it makes you feel any better most of LTS have been freaking out for 30 years about the state of heath care in America . Im on full medicare and medicaid and am not acquainted with all the other programs other than the basics but I think if you find yourself uninsured you should be able to buy insurance through the AFCA and once you do that you can get some copay assistance if you need it . I have a friend who uses his visa card to buy meds and then he gets reimbursed for with vouchers … he gets tons of points on his card to use for travel or whatever.

Just try and handle it one day at time and remember there are solutions for every problem.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 03:34:26 pm »
Even if I have a decent income? Everything I've looked into you had to be low income..I'm not trying to get out of paying or anything for free I just know even with my income I wouldn't be able to pay for anything but meds

yes, even if you have income there are solutions. like jeff said, it may through reimbursement.

don't look at as you trying to get something for free. there is no pride in this. it doesn't reflect on your character or make you a bad person. you're not trying to screw anyone. you're trying to get meds and up against an unfair system.

we didn't write the fucked up laws that allow drug companies to charge what they do. the system is designed to make you get some sort of assistance. you get whatever sort of help you can possibly leverage.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 04:41:23 pm »
Zach is right … not many people in the world can afford to treat HIV without serious help.

Its the only condition I can think of that the government had to set up special programs for … there is no Ryan white for cancer drugs or insulin for diabetics . No one can afford to pay for HIV treatment and no one should be ashamed of needing assistance for it … it’s not our fault we live in a country with a for profit healthcare system .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 05:01:57 pm »
Very few in developed countries can afford HIV treatment at developed country prices -  like you said. 6k for month! Nobody has 72 thousand EXTRA in their budget.

Very few people in developing countries can afford meds there either - even with the big discount and generics. 

Everybody figures out the way society is willing to subside their meds. Its difficult in the US but possible and millions figure it out.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline 2tcells

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 01:46:19 am »
this is a very scary situation you are in, I was there a few months back thinking I would lose my Medicaid, and basically die because who can afford 6 grand a month. it all worked out with Medicaid for me but what I did was talk to everyone I could for help before I needed it and found that my doctors will give me meds until im on a program to get it. they said "you will not go without meds no matter what". they set me up with ryan white to start and gave me all the info I needed to get all the other assistance. so talk to your dr to start. if you got a good income get on Obama care cost around 500 a month which was still to much for me to afford but if you can that's a solution if not there are lots of programs. you need to start calling your dr, aso, and looking up programs in your county before you need it.
7-4-13 diagnosed   cd4- 2      vl-220,600
8-3-13                     cd4- 4      vl- 448
9-3-13                     cd4- 40    vl- ud
11-3-13                   cd4- 54    vl-ud
1-9-14                     cd4- 62    vl- 43
4-3-14                     cd4- 110  vl-ud
8-5-14                     cd4- 95    vl-ud
9-23-14                   cd4- 97    vl-ud
1-22-15                   cd4- 156  vl-ud
4-14-15                   cd4- 122  vl-ud
6-12-15                   cd4- 148  vl-?
8-15-15 start stribild
9-3-15                     cd4- 152 vl-ud
11-25-15                  cd4- 211 vl-20
2-17-16                   cd-4 194 vl-ud
4-1-16 start genvoya
5-10-16                   cd-4 220 vl-ud
9-19-16                   cd-4 182 vl-ud
12-2016                  cd-4  267!vl-ud
2018 cd4 187 switching meds

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.