Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:48:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 206
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Rash?  (Read 4501 times)

Offline WowThatWasLifeChanging

Rash?
« on: May 09, 2014, 11:20:08 am »
Day 8 of beginning treatment (rayetaz, truvada and norvir) and my entire upper body broke out in a rash. Is this normal? Will it go away? Other than this aide effects have been nil other than a little insomnia..

Offline weasel

Re: Rash?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:14:34 pm »

Hi WOW ,
                   I was on those MEDS for over 8 years , never had a
     rash issue .
      30 years ago I used to get rashes , but I was not on MEDS at that time.

I hope it calms down for you ,
                                                                                Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 06:29:28 am »
A fair amount of people get a rash one to six weeks or so into starting treatment, and it usually lasts for a week to ten days.

It's normally nothing to worry about, HOWEVER, if you get a high fever and sore throat with it, or it starts appearing on any mucus membranes (ie lips/mouth), go to your nearest ER ASAP and take a bottle of each med you're on (including non-hiv meds) so they know exactly what you're taking.

In any case, you should ring your doctor. He will probably advise that you get some over-the-counter antihistamine (like Benadryl) for the itch, or he may have one that he likes to prescribe. You do need to let him know this is happening.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 11:19:00 am »
Thanks!!

Today the rash has spread down my legs and up my neck. It actually does not itch except for my back. I read about steven johnson syndrome also (thanks Ann). :/ scary stuff!! I am still waiting to hear back from my doctor. Hopefully its ok and goes away and doesnt turn into something worse. I am allergic to sulfa but read another blog on here that says i am still ok to take reyataz.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 08:33:31 am »
LOL of course it only itches on your back - where you can't reach it, right?  >:(  ;D

I purposely didn't come right out and name SJS, because while I did want to warn you, I didn't want to frighten you. It's pretty rare.

At least you know the warning signs and can get yourself some medical assistance should any of them start to appear. Don't expect them to, but awareness that it could happen is never a bad thing.

Keep us posted!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 06:36:10 pm »
Ann- lol today the itching in unbearable! I got sunburn gel and keep applying it to my back. Now itching is pretty much everywhere but the rash itself is looking much better. Im attending a wedding in 90 degree weather next week so reallt hoping all of this stops by then.  :o

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 03:06:29 am »
If you're still itching today, make sure you get in contact with your doctor again - he's got no excuse for not ringing you back now that it's a Monday. He should be able to either prescribe you an antihistamine, or recommend an OTC one you can easily pick up.

If all else fails, get yourself some OTC Benadryl. You might also consider speaking to your local pharmacist to see what he or she recommends along the lines of an effective antihistamine.

Also, calamine lotion may be a cheaper alternative to what you're already using - even if you're only using it while at home where no one will see you covered in pink goo.

Try to not scratch, but if you can't help yourself, clip your nails short and keep your hands (and nails) clean. You don't want scaring or a secondary bacterial infection if you scratch yourself raw. Or you could do what Phoebe in Friends did in the one where she had chickenpox, and wear some mittens. ;)

This should be all over and done with by the time you attend that wedding next week. Keep us posted!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 12:41:54 pm »
Rash seems to be gone but itching and I look real tan. Doc is worried Im allergic to reyetaz so I am having labs done on liver today to see if jaundice or allergic. She said rash and itching as side effect is unlikely. :( Dont want to switch meds bc these were chosen bc safe for pregnancy. Sigh. Will know more when I see her tomorrow

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 11:57:19 am »
Well it appears I am allergic to the protease inhibitors so they took me off reyetaz and norvir and replaced with twice a day isentress in addition to the truvada. Sigh

On a brighter note my viral load went from 52,000 to 854 with just 15 days on meds

Offline vertigo

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 03:33:34 pm »
Isentress is great.  Fewer people have side effects than with Reyataz/Norvir.  You just need to be carefully adherent.  The drug is not as forgiving of missed doses as the PI's.  Hope you have a good experience with it.  It if clears up the rash that's awesome.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.