Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:35:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 628
Total: 629

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Test results not what I expected, a bit stressed now...  (Read 4230 times)

Offline pozoz

Test results not what I expected, a bit stressed now...
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:09:34 pm »
Hi everyone,

Got my results today, was expecting "better" numbers.

Also Doc wants to see me regarding "minor abnormalities" with the tests I asked for.

PSA slightly elevated at 2.88 (should be under 2.5)

Thyroid function normal, but antibodies present (hypothyroidism?)

VL still not UD (191) and CD4 now at 459 , 27%

Had a few other tests done but he made no mention of those, will ask when I go in. (LDL, HDL, Liver, Kidney etc)

Going back to see doc next week and not sure anymore about much of anything, and feeling worried now.

any thoughts appreciated...

Cheers.....
Seroconverted Aug 2008
Tested Pos      May 2009
Verimune XR / Descovy
 576  34%. U/D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Test results not what I expected, a bit stressed now...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:38:48 am »
pozoz, your CD4 numbers are actually quite respectable. Your CD4% went up quite a bit and that's significant. And it's not unusual to take a while to get to undetectable. You had another VL drop and you'll most likely be undetectable for your next draw.

I don't really know much about your other test results, but if the doctor is calling them "minor", I wouldn't worry too much about them. It may just be things that need an eye kept on but nothing to panic about.

Overall, it looks like you're doing well. Keep up the good work!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Nevergivingup

• Loving life and living it positive
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:33:45 pm »
Thyroid function normal, but antibodies present (hypothyroidism?)

I would say thats what he/she wants to address with you. They my want to start you on some type of therapy for that, because if let go can be serious. I had the same issue and was surprise how much of a part your thyroid plays in your over health. The therapy consist of a pill, I know more pills, but you take it once aday. Once on it you will have to take it the rest or your life but there are no side efects and it doesnt mess up your hiv meds. You have to take the pill in the mornings on a empty stomach with water.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 05:41:39 pm »
Hi Pozoz,

I have been reporting on my main thread that I , also , have a VL that kinds of take its time to go down.

Your profile is, in that respect very similar to mine. (starting above 500 ; % 20 ; VL 50 k-ish) we also started almost same time and
our VL are close (mine at 200). CD4 recovery in the same pattern as well

My doc, myself, and, apparently yourself were expected 'better' results (VL).

I have had a long discussion with him yesterday and I will be meeting some of our local research guys.

In fact, expectations in terms of VL are based on guidelines. These guidelines were conservative as to when to start the meds.

New guidelines re command starting with higher numbers.

When you initiate meds (and under the condition/hypothesis) that they are successfull, your system needs to empty the bathtub of existing, infected CD4.
Purge. It takes more time to empty a fuller tank than a lower tank. This is were I have this in depth discussion with my doc and I'll report more when I get things right.

as of today, my understanding is that it will not be unusual for people with a profile that we share that the emptying of the 'tank' takes a bit longer.

This is where I sympathize with your 'disappointment' but can assure you that I am currently very optimistic despite this 'not yet UD' thing.

As for the worries, same, here ...

Quite fortunately, my doc, who seems quite embarrassed with my results, decided to give it a bit more time.

Since this discussion was yesterday, It is still a bit fresh and I will post further details later.

Hang on (and be positive : modern meds are very potent)

On a funny side my doc told me that when he got my results, he could not sleep half of the night.
I told him that we are even since I could not sleep the other half ;-)

Cheers

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline pozoz

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 04:52:50 am »
Thanks guys,

Not feeling that bad now, amazing what a bit of feedback does to ease the mind  ;D

Guess I had my mind set that these latest results would be better and I'd be able to stop worrying and just take my pills and move on and get checkups a couple of times a year.

Ann, yes the numbers are an improvement, I only was able to see that after hearing what you had to say...thanks for the encouragement

Nevergivingup,
Yes, Thyroid function is something I've never thought about until now, and yes it's amazing how important thyroid function is to overall health. I've read a bit more about it and now will just add it to the things I need to manage...Thanks.

Eric, Yes we have very similar profiles, I like your analogy and look forward to seeing how you progress, and of course I wish you the best. Sounds like you have a very good doctor who you can engage and discuss things with in detail, which is fantastic. Lots of doctors from my experience are always in a rush and sometimes you can leave scratching your head wondering why you still have questions or concerns.

Thanks again guys.... I'll keep soldiering on and once again look forward to my next draw in 2 months...This time perhaps with a more realistic expectation  ::)

Cheers....PozOz
Seroconverted Aug 2008
Tested Pos      May 2009
Verimune XR / Descovy
 576  34%. U/D

Offline surf18

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:46:04 am »
you know you have the right to get a draw earlier if you want. i had what i thought less than stellar cd counts on my last test and i said i want them retested. he said i could go in a month not the two, and i called back and said no that wont work,so he did two weeks.so if you dont want to dwell on this for sixty days tell your doc you want a test in 30 days.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 05:29:42 pm »
same here...

I will get one VL test in 6 weeks as ordered by doc (and covered by insurrance) and get one intermediate (without prescription, at my own cost) in 3 weeks...

Cheers

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline debsd222

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »
Pozoz, You've only been on the meds for 6 months, I think you're doing very well. I know its stressful, but you just need a little patience. Take care, Deborah
April 08 3 month bout w/ shingles, ongoing nerve pain
Dec 08 pos  cd4 200 %8  VL 18,000
Feb 09 started sustiva, truvada -allergic to sustiva, hospital 4 days.
March 09 started truvada, reyataz and norvir
March 09  cd4 279  % 12 VL 10,000
April 09 cd4 327  %12  VL 300
Aug 09 cd4 392  %16  Vl undetectable
Dec 09 hospital pneumonia 6 days
Dec 09 cd4 462  %20  VL undetectable
Mar 10 cd4 629 27% VL undetectable
July 9, 2010 cd4 505  21% VL undetectable
Oct 2010 cd4 689  22%  VL 64
Nov 2010  cd4689  22%  VL  UD
May 2013 cd4 759. 29%. VL. UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.