Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:18:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 329
Total: 329

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My latest doc visit  (Read 1946 times)

Offline randym431

My latest doc visit
« on: April 24, 2009, 02:49:22 am »
Another 4 months passed. Another ID doctor visit.
Actually I think it was 5 months because they canceled last month when
the doc had scheduling conflicts.
My cd4 went from 700 down to 570, but that doesn’t really concern me  at all.

What I was posting about is a conversation I had with the nurse.
I told her I have never met (to my knowledge) another HIV+ person on treatment.
Yeah I live a pretty sheltered life I guess. I could go to the hiv+ meeting group, but
since I work nights that is not really possible. I suppose I should take off a thursday night
once and go sometime...

ANyway, I ask the nurse how many other hiv people she thought they see in the office.
She said about 125 total. And there are three different local practices that treat hiv people.
One for the Mercy hosp chain, one for the Methodist hosp and a third I never heard of before.

She said the other two also see around 125 people each.
So thats about 400 total hiv seen total.
That includes some people all around the state that travel here, not just locals.
I mentioned the makers of sustiva were starting a co-pay assistance program in May.
She had not heard that and was going to look into it because a lot of their patients
are having a hard time paying co-pays for meds.

Since they always tell me I am doing so good, I asked how the other 124 people they see
are doing, in general. She said 95% that are on meds are doing very well, also.
The ones having problems were the long terms hiv+ for 20 years or more.
And most their issues were not really hiv related but other medical issues.

So I was glad to hear so many are doing pretty well. And a little warned that long term,
20 years plus, it probably will become a challenge.

But it was an interesting conversation. I guess the conclusion is to welcome the good days,
and not to fear the bad days too much.
Sounds like the blueprint for most everyone, not just hiv folks.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: My latest doc visit
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:07:04 am »
Hi Randy,

I had a similar conversation at my clinic in Liverpool... oh, about a year ago. While the numbers were higher, the bit about how people - in general - are doing was the same, more/less.

The only difference was the person I spoke to said they also had quite a few who were diagnosed very, very late and were still struggling. These were people who were not only diagnosed with bad numbers, but also with one or more serious OI. Having said that, we have a high proportion of assylum seekers at my clinic now, and I was told that they made up the majority of people who were diagnosed when very ill. He said it's because of the stigma back home which kept them from testing sooner, also the worry over the prospect of being poz while applying for assylum.

It really pisses me off that one of the end-results of the stigma we deal with is the fact that it stops people from testing and being treated soon enough to let them stay healthy. It's a crying shame because you're absolutely right, Randy, as far as treatments go, these are the good days. It's terrible that even in countries where the treatments are readily available, people aren't always able to access them, mainly due to not knowing their status. 

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.