Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 03:38:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37697
  • Latest: op-2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773557
  • Total Topics: 66385
  • Online Today: 380
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 363
Total: 365

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Constipation and Neuropathy  (Read 11164 times)

Offline beauraingdance

Constipation and Neuropathy
« on: September 09, 2022, 09:42:51 pm »
Hi, I was wondering the different condition we experience with Neuropathy,
Since my Aids diagnosis I have developed  Neuropathy in both my legs, I take Gabapentin 300 MG- 3 times a day,  luckily  do not have pain just stiffness and a poor balance  and my gait is off, I also have little feeling in my limbs.
 If I do not push myself, I end up walking like a 80 year old man, I have a appointment with my Neurologist next Month, she will do a nerve test.
As active as I am, I feel my condition is getting worse, I fear what is ahead, Has anybody has experience with long term conditions from Neuropathy?
I do not think it is the Meds as this developed as soon as I left the hospital and I only had been at the time on Biktarvy  for 6 weeks. my digestion is also not normal anymore I end up taking laxatives , I feel like these Organs are frozen. I am  a a very optimistic person I feel I probably deal with anything at this point. I never seem to get a clear answer from my Physicians. Wishing you all good health and peace. Zoltan

Offline wardp

Re: Constipation and Neuropathy
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 10:05:00 am »
Sorry to here that what laxative do you take?.i have to take sodium chloride enemas as my bowels won't move as normal I also take flax seed every morning it seems to soften the stools.i hope you get the help you need.
Diagd 20,July 2017. Cd4 289, 21% vld .3,462  atripla 4/8/17, 5/10/17 cd4 384 21%, ud.  complera 4/11/2017 switched to stribild 15/11/17. Switched to truvada efavirence 200mgx2 14 Dec 2017, 2 Feb 2018, uD cd4  466, 25%  CD 8 ,595, 32%..1 may 2018
switched  to instgra truvada.7th june switched to truvada  nevirapine stavudine. .21 june switched to truvada nevirapine. X 2 a day...9 aug 2018 ud. 2n Nov 2018 CD 4. 455..22.70% 13th Nov switched  to lamivir and nevirapine  due to kidney issues...jan 10,2019 UD..may 13 2019 ud  cd4 482 28% 14th nov 2019 ud. Cd4 414 .27% cd8 444 29%,may 16 2020,ud ,cd4 741"19.62. Dec 2020.ud.jan21 cd4 453. 25.7% 5/6/21.UD. cd4 621;{27.21%}19/10/21 UD.cd4 420; 28%.apr 19;2022 UD cd4 455' 26%.oct 22,UD, cd4 381,27% 10/4.23 UD CD4 462 29%.2/10/23 cd4 378,28%cd 533 26%

Offline beauraingdance

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 10:43:34 am »
I take Ducolax, I have taken Sodium Chloride and suppositories nothing works , I will try flax seed. Thank you much appreciated

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 07:58:36 pm »
I'm not sure if what I suffered from in the late 90's early 2000s was neuropathy.  But the symptoms sounded similar.

I found cycling with toe clips on,  strengthened my legs and gradually I had some ( not complete) regain in sensation

Offline Shazam9cd4

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 10:16:20 am »
About the time the onset of my early syptoms - this time last year and before i was diagnosed i started having frequent episodes of restless leg syndrome.  I used to get mild symptoms of  this on a plane which went away after taking an aspirin.  It was infeequent.  But last year it started to occur very frequently and was sleep disruptive. RLS is incredibly annoying.  Feels like tickly inside your legs, alwys wanting to shift around and never able to stay still.   I now believe  it was caused by this illness.  My GP at the time prescribed pregabalin which eliminated my RLS.  Need to be careful because it has serious withdrawal symptoms if you forget to take it.  This happened to me but they quickly went away as soon as i was able to take the next days dose.  I thereafter reduced my dose to 75g only at night. After i was diagnosed with AIDs and post   my ICU and 30 day stay in the hospital i weened myself off all the drugs i had been given - xanax,  brentillix,  immovane et al.  Took time and i had to shave and cut down doses.   I tried to go off pregabalin but restless leg would return.  What i managed to do was experiment with increasingly lower doses and found that 25mg was just enough to prevent RLS from impacting me.  At some stage in the future ill try again to go off it all together but at moment happy to relieve myself at this low dosage.  Although no one really knows what causes RlS im convinced the restless Legs were related to the early onset of my symptoms and may have been a form of peripheral neuropathy.    Hard to say.  You may want to ask your doc about pregabalin start low. Her is an article comparing both. https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/how-gabapentin-differs-from-pregabalin

Offline Loa111

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 05:33:59 am »
restless leg syndrome. RLS is incredibly annoying.  Feels like tickly inside your legs, alwys wanting to shift around and never able to stay still.   I now believe  it was caused by this illness. 

I've RLS too. I did mention it to my ID doc about this annoying sensation in my left leg, especially when I'm in bed at night & I want to keep moving & kicking out my leg. ID Doc even tested me for Diabetes, which came back negative.  Doc did not really come to any other conclusion on the RLS. It's just an annoying thing.
I do wonder did me having a very advanced hiv DX cause it?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.