Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:02:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 178
Total: 179

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can i still sniff a lil coke and drink with meds?  (Read 7599 times)

Offline 313poz

Can i still sniff a lil coke and drink with meds?
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:33:47 am »
I am in no way a fiend, let's start off by saying that. However, I enjoy nice hard liqour and a few lines every now and then. (not frequent at all) Im moreso concerned about drinking while on truvada reyataz and novir. I was diagnosed in 05/2000 and am now at the point where meds are appropiate for my situation. I am about 1 week into taking my meds (god my stomache feels bloated after i take the "cocktail") and would like to hear any advice about the liq and coke. I know it may seem a bit bold of me but I would really like to know. I know ill get the leave the drugs alone, but I live in reality, on planet earth and there may come a time when I want to party. Please advise. Thanks.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Re: Can i still sniff a lil coke and drink with meds?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 02:07:20 am »
I am in no way a fiend, let's start off by saying that.

Of course you're not, dear.

However, I enjoy nice hard liqour and a few lines every now and then. (not frequent at all) Im moreso concerned about drinking while on truvada reyataz and novir. I was diagnosed in 05/2000 and am now at the point where meds are appropiate for my situation. I am about 1 week into taking my meds (god my stomache feels bloated after i take the "cocktail") and would like to hear any advice about the liq and coke. I know it may seem a bit bold of me but I would really like to know. I know ill get the leave the drugs alone, but I live in reality, on planet earth and there may come a time when I want to party. Please advise. Thanks.

If you search the forums you'll find other threads on this topic.  I think the biggest risk is that the recreational drugs can lead you into situations / episodes where you forget to take your HIV meds.  *That* is a big problem.  I don't think there are any studies or evidence that suggest recreational drugs interfere with the effectiveness of HIV medications.  I'll spare you the "just say no" speech, because that's not what you are asking.  

I suggest you "cool it" temporarily and take time to get into a regular routine with your meds for several weeks / months.  Norvir can be rather unpleasant to deal with, gastro-intestinally speaking.  Get several lab tests under your belt to know that the meds are doing their job.  Then you can go back to being a fiend occasional user.  Just be aware that too many doses and you can develop resistance, so you'll need to find a way to stick to your meds -- whether or not you choose to partake in "fun" drugs.

Full disclosure:  I have little experience with anything stronger than bourbon, so I'm sure others here may have more first-hand experience.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:40:56 am »
Full disclosure:  I have little experience with anything stronger than bourbon, so I'm sure others here may have more first-hand experience.Regards,

Henry

I wouldn't have a clue who any of those members would be  ::)

Henry is spot on that the biggest issue is that in a coked-out, liquor drowned stupor one might forget to take meds.  There is also the risk of Hep C from sharing straws or other coke induction instruments. 

I have fiends friends who drink, do some coke, and are on meds and have not had any negative effects directly related to their use of same (maybe the occasional heart attack, stroke, or gunshot wound from the police when they get too high and are suffering from cocaine-induced paranoia - but other than that, nothing too severe).
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 05:19:07 pm »
There are no known interactions between coke and HIV meds. You will be fine. Same with drinking.

Again, the problem is (as Henry states) missing your doses while "partying".

-Will

Ps. moderation.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:21:05 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 06:19:27 pm »
All things in moderation, including moderation. :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 06:32:30 pm »
All things in moderation, including moderation. :)

You know, I was going to quote you with that but I couldnt remember how that went.  :P
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 06:45:01 pm »
When I feel like getting high I just think of River Phoenix.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:43:39 am »
You know, I was going to quote you with that but I couldnt remember how that went.  :P

Thought so! ;D

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 10:13:23 am »
When I feel like getting high I just think of River Phoenix.

Now that's funny, I tried to overdose on weed for the last 6 years. 

I failed and now have 2 months clean.  I think it's people like me who make it back.... ok, who am I fooling.  About the only thing I was at risk for was the munchies and lung cancer.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 09:10:37 pm »
I can't address the coke side of the question but am pretty knowledgeable about booze and Truvada.  I have  been known (on a few occassions) to down my meds with a glass of white zin.  And even after several glasses.  The few instances of non adherance that I've encountered were a direct result of sampling drinks at several local establishments.  So as others have mentioned, the biggest issue will probably be behaviors brought about by your decisions.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 03:02:38 pm »
I've never drank or did recreational drugs so I can not offer advice there.

But, I do from time to time have cravings that reach a high pitch and I bang the pans to make a few savory fry ups. I then drown it all with "chilled just right (ice crystals) Diet/Caffeine Free Coke--oh the joy!  So far it hasn't put me in a stupor to the point where I've forgotten to take my meds.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:07:58 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline newkrr

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 07:07:53 am »
Hey I've just started taking my meds 3 weeks ago and I was specifically asked if I took any recreational drugs. They said that the some of the anti-retrovirals can boost the effects of the recreational drugs.

They nurse advised if I was going to take some that I should take less than usual and also to let them know.

But hey I don't take any so don't know if this is true?!

Maybe it could be something to do with my particular combination?

:-))

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.