Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:01:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 384
Total: 385

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Grey Letter from CMS  (Read 11982 times)

Offline AndyArrow

The Grey Letter from CMS
« on: October 08, 2009, 02:03:08 am »
How quickly things change, just when things seemed to going along relatively smoothly -- excluding the partner just having open heart double bypass surgery leading to an infection that has to be treated with 2x daily trips to for IV antibiotics through a PICC line -- things were going smoothly.  Then I open up my letter from The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and it's a grey letter (the paper they use for this type of letter is grey) telling me beginning Jan 2010 I will no longer qualify for extra help paying for my drugs.  Where exactly I'm supposed to come with an extra 4000 - 5000 to pay for these drugs is anyones guess! 

The next republican I see who tells me they are against healthcare reform better hope they have some damn good insurance because they may not walk again when I'm done with them!  :o

Done with my complaining and back to researching my options come January.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Re: The Grey Letter from CMS
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 04:04:10 am »
I think it's that time of the year for all good computers to spit out computer generated responses that I now think are just 'busy work' to keep you on your toes.

Good luck with your options. actually I'm hoping it turns out when you contact them about it they will say "oh, just ignore that, it's just a computer generated letter...it doesn't mean anything." o.o

Sorry to hear that your partner has an infection. That has got to be very stressful, and then getting the grey letter: I would have been sorely tempted to just tear it up: but, that wouldn't help anything.

So, he's not admitted, y'all just go in and after he goes through the IV antibiotic bag, you go on your way?  and then return to repeat the treatment?

"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 07:43:04 am »
Andy, that absolutely sucks.  Did they give the reason for this assinine decision?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 11:08:23 am »
Ugh Andy, that really majorly sucks.  Try to stay calm while doing the research as I know all to well how stressful this can get oneself.  I guess you are implying that there's not been any major change in your income level so this came really out of the blue?  Hopefully it's an error or something if that is the case.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 02:10:14 am »
Ron, my partner was admitted for several days but now we just have to show up at 8am & 8pm for the IV infusions.  They take about 30 - 45mins and then we are on our way.

I actually called Medicaid since the letter from CMS lists 4 possible reasons that I won't be getting extra help and the only ones that could possibly affect me were through Medicaid.  So, I called my caseworker ... first the line was busy.  Then I got through and left a voicemail.  She never called back so I called again the next day and got through.  According to her files I should have never qualified for extra-help because I make too much money (a little more than 16,245 which is the cut off). 

At this point I think it's time too move back to the city (Chicago) since Illinois offers RX help to seniors AND disabled (Indiana only seniors) making upto $25,532 (I'd be rich if I made that!).  Oh well ... I liked living in Chicago anyway.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 07:03:15 am »
Andy, I get extra help with the Medicaid-Medicare thing, but I get way below what you make.  Maybe Chicago would be better.  You're not too far from there anyway, are you?  Would you have to wait until your partner is done with this treatment (probably a stupid question).  I hear the HIV care in Chicago is good also.  I have a friend who lives there, who used to live here, and he loves it. 

I think the whole thing about you not being able to get extra help just plain sucks.  It's like whomever made that law, expects people to pay any little extra they have for meds, which can cost tons for us.  Anyway, good luck.  I'm sorry this has happened. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 05:14:59 pm »
Thanks BT,

The funny thing is I moved here from Chicago 5yrs ago because the cost of living was so much cheaper here.  Go figure!  I'm just across the boarder from Illinois so it's not like I"m moving miles and miles away.  I will need to have everything in place by Jan since that's when the extra help ends.

I'm very lucky that I get what I do from railroad retirement disability but I don't see how they think because I make a little bit over I've got thousands to laying around to pay for meds.  UGH!!!!  Well, this is just one more test being thrown at me ... but us LTS'ers are a resourceful lot.

AA

Offline shreveman

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 07:16:13 pm »
Hi Andy:

I'm sorry to hear about your healthcare cut back. I also wanted to say hi as I have not posted in awhile. Maybe there is some resource available through one of those prescription assistance programs. I hope something will work out for you soon. You and your partner take care. Roy

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 01:51:29 pm »
hi Andy,
Sorry to hear your news, its hard to imagine having to deal with such out off the blue financial cruelty.I hope the US gets on with its health reforms,I think you should develop that idea about republicans direct action can be so satisfying.Take care theyer.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 01:06:27 am »
Thanks shreveman & welcome back.

Theyer, the idea of taking that action warms the cockles of my heart (so to speak) but since I don't think I'd do well in prison (and I really wouldn't look good in those orange jumpsuits) I'll just vent here instead.  ;)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 03:02:02 am »
I would only want to see you in an orange jumpsuit if you were ringing doorbells and saying "Trick or Treat"

How's your partner doing?

"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 10:27:50 am »
I would only want to see you in an orange jumpsuit if you were ringing doorbells and saying "Trick or Treat"

How's your partner doing?

Ding-Dong Avon calling!

He's doing better and if things stay on course he can stop the twice daily IV antibiotics on 1 Nov!!!!  The hole in his chest is still just has long but it's not as wide and isn't nearly as deep.  You can no longer see the bone or part of the wire holding it together so thats a big improvement. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 07:09:01 pm »
dear andy, the "bleep" replublican "stand" on health care reform is a joke. obviously those of us listening to you think real reform is 30 years over-due!!! UGH! UGH! UGH! my personal situation has not yet hit YOUR crisis mode but i am worried it will hit us all if a more true and meaningfull reform is not enacted now. when i have the energy i have been e-mailing those in power. please keep your spirits up! let's ALL work for REAL help/reform. best to you. mitch
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 03:24:17 am »
Thanks mitch -- Currently living in Indiana with one Senator being a Republican (Richard Lugar) and the other being Evan Byah (a conservative Democrat) I have been writing letters doing just that.  I was once told that 1 actually letter means so much more than a phone call or an email so I'll keep the post office busy before crossing the border to IL

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 11:45:33 pm »
It's official I am an Illinoisan again!

PS -- I think the mustache makes me look older so not sure if it's gonna stay.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:47:04 pm by AndyArrow »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 05:42:05 am »
Wow, you moved already?  I hope things go better for you in Chicago (I'm sure they will).

By the way, that's a very handsome picture.  I didn't realize you are so good looking. ;)

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 01:55:49 am »
BT -- you are too kind.  I was at The CORE center in Chicago yesterday and my guide for the day asked me:

"Who do people say you look like?"

I shrugged my shoulders since I don't think I look like anyone.

"I know Jeff Foxworthy."

-- I think the moustache has to go!--  >:(

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 09:10:00 am »
Somehow I missed this update, Andy.  That indeed was a quick move -- how in the world did you manage to accomplish not just moving but locating the apartment so quickly?  Are you in the city or out in the burbs?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 07:45:16 am »
The thought of losing my meds was a big motivator (athough I've got to apply for the IL program so no guarantees but they were very positive about the outcome and gave me several options if the first one doesn't work).  Also,I have great family & friends to help me out. 

I'm out in the burbs so not really a big change from NW Indiana.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 11:45:30 am »
The thought of losing my meds was a big motivator (athough I've got to apply for the IL program so no guarantees but they were very positive about the outcome and gave me several options if the first one doesn't work).  Also,I have great family & friends to help me out.  

I'm out in the burbs so not really a big change from NW Indiana.

WOW Andy. I feel your pain as well, I'm like you, I make too much for medicade, and my extra help for part D medicare is now 75%, so that mean, like you I would have ended up paying like 3,000 to 4,000 for my Meds, so, I did some research, and informed my local State ASO office of this problem, the results are somewhat tricky, but, as of 2010, almost all of my med will come form my State...........

I will be getting and receiving Blue Cross/Blue Shield medicare-carve-out prescription drug coverage as of Jan, 1st 2010......this is paid for by the State of New Mexico NMMIP program, it's called different things in other States, but, medicare-carve-out is what you need, if you cannot afford your part D medicare drug coverage anymore, and you have medicare part's A and B, and you don't qualify for Medicaid any longer, this program meets those needs.

Andy...... you may qualify for THIS:      http://www.chip.state.il.us/elig7.htm
it's called chip in the state you now live in  ;)

......I see that you moved to another State, but, if that helps your situation, I'm happy for you Andy, like you, I'm in that same category when it comes to income, also I hope your partner is doing well, mine is doing well now, and it's been almost 7 yrs. since his Open-heart-quadrupole-bypass back in 2002, as long as he takes his meds, and keeps he diet in check, he may out-live-me  ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:20:12 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.