Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:00:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 295
Total: 295

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: anyone else with same problems?  (Read 5135 times)

Offline beachbum86

anyone else with same problems?
« on: January 25, 2008, 04:18:54 pm »
hi, im very new to this posting site. ive been reading for a while now and i finally got enough courage sign up. i was diagnosed with hiv on sept. 29, 2006 after a long hard road of other misdiagnosis. i've been taking the combination of reyataz, norvir, and truvada for about a year now and i seem to have serious problems sleeping and have had really bad nerve problems for a while now. i can just blow up at any second. plus, while im sleeping i freeze then start sweating really bad then freeze again and so forth. anyone else with these same issues? just trying to get some input on how to handle these pesty effects. thanks.
Beachbum

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: anyone else with same problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:46:24 pm »
Howdy and welcome to the forums Mr. Beachbum.  Glad to see you have made the leap from lurker to participant here and that we all get to know you more in the coming months.

Yes, sometimes I get those issues.  Sleep problems can come down to a variety of things frankly.  Depression, anxiety, stress, cheap mattress... I suppose perhaps it's a general effect of HIV infection as I see so many here complain about it, but I'm not sure there are any studies stating that.  I usually see them point to the depression bogey man.  I forget the figures so don't quote me, but I think it's something like an estimate of 70% of HIV-ers have depression issues, whether short or longer term.  Many HIV-ers also have low testosterone issues, and THAT can be the cause of the depression -- this was my particular situation, or part f it.

At any rate you probably won't find any great solution to this without talking to your doctor, and there's not way for board members to diagnosis you.  But my advice would be to initiate the discussion.  Maybe before your appointment you should keep a daily diary of your sleep each night and throw that at your doctor... hopefully it will light a fire under him more than a simple 4 second complaint at his desk.  Oh, and specifically request that he run a lab test on your testosterone levels.  If those are OK you can rule that cause out.

The nightsweats... well, I don't get them that often so I've never really been vocal about it.  Probably happens once a month though.  How often are you getting these and, if you are comfortable telling us, what are your lab numbers at present?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline beachbum86

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 04:53:46 pm »
thanks for the info. the night sweats are pretty much every night. now my cd4 is 700 and vl is undetectable.
Beachbum

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 04:56:03 pm »
Seems odd.  Have you not discussed this with your doctor?  I'm sure that doesn't make for a good night's sleep.

Offline beachbum86

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 05:02:27 pm »
yea I've talked to him and he doesn't seem to think its a major issue. i think it is. maybe ill do like you said and keep a log so he can see how important it is to me to get a good night sleep. sometimes i think that's why I'm so depressed all the time is because i cant get a good nights rest. :(
Beachbum

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 05:40:07 pm »
Yeah, do the log.  It will make more fuss for him.  Also insist that he make a copy and put it in your records.  At the very least all of the fuss can score you some sedatives.

Offline Damien

• Fun, College Student.
    • MySpace
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 08:33:43 pm »
I have the same problem with starting off FREEZING at night and then getting really hot about 2am. I am also on Reyataz, Truvada & Norvir. What has helped me to sleep better is to take a hot bath right before bed.

When I get in bed after awhile my feet and hands still get ice cold but I don't start to shiver like I used to. I also take 500mg of Motrin before bed, for some reason its been helping me sleep and not get an early am hot flash.

Let me know if it helps. My Dr. has no idea why this happens.

Yours,
-Damien

Offline edfu

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 04:08:17 am »
When I get in bed after awhile my feet and hands still get ice cold but I don't start to shiver like I used to. -Damien

I've found that wearing sweat-socks to bed helps immensely with the ice-cold feet. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 09:25:55 am »
Sometimes when I'm up and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll put my heating pad on my feet and that helps. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 08:35:02 am »
Hey Beachbum!
Good to see that you jumped into our world here....I am continually amazed at the quality of the people on the forum here and their sincere desire to help eachother.

I am on the same meds and I have constant sleep issues.  My sleep issues started for me 7 years ago after a case of Hepatitis A and are still with me to this day.  I contracted HIV 5 years ago and that does not help the sleep issues either.  I take some sort of sedative every night....I take 8mg of Seroquel (split 25mg tablet into thirds).  If I have a tough time falling asleep I will also take 5mg of ambien or .5 mg of xanax.  I took many different sleep sedatives until I found the Seroquel...when I get up in the am I am a bit groggy but after a cup or two of java I am good to go!

I notice on nights when I don't sleep well that I get the ice cold hands.   So perhaps some sleepy meds are in order for you.  I have not had the sweats or hot flashes. (we all react differently to meds and environment)   I agree with the others... put your sleep patterns into written form and perhaps your doc will see your problem with a new sense of urgency.

Good luck with this challenge!

Craig
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 06:50:34 pm »
I have had this problem on and off for  a few yrs......I found that by putting some warmed up " bed buddies"  at the bottom of the bed under the blanket  it keeps my feet warm and I don't get the cold and sweats...... ( bed buddies are like big socks filled with some kind of grain that you put in the microwave for a few min to warm them up..WalMart and most big box drug stores sell them )   of course if you have a "live" bed buddy you might be able to get the same effect.....

Nick.) 
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 08:08:42 pm »
We have a heated mattress pad.  It fits on our mattress just under the fitted sheet.  It's got duel controls so you can set it as needed (if there's 2 people in bed).  This one is neat because most of the heating coils are at the feet and get less and less the farther up.  By the time it gets to the upper shoulders and head, there's no heat.  I liked it because I don't start sweating cuz my head's overheated.  It wasn't that expensive, maybe $40 for a queen-size.  I like it much better than an electric blanket.  We turn our's on high (#5) about 30 minutes before bed and then turn it down to 2 or 3 when we go to sleep.  I'll never get into a cold bed again ;D

You may also want to try flannel sheets.  They don't tend to be cold, like cotton sheets are, when you get into bed.  Or, for good measure, do both ;)  Hope this helps!

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.