Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:08:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773223
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 608
Total: 610

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Another Day Another Test  (Read 5333 times)

Offline AndyArrow

Another Day Another Test
« on: April 28, 2009, 06:19:45 pm »
I just found out my cortisol level was low.  I just a voicemail so I don't exactly know how low.

Too be honest, until I had this blood test done I didn't know I even had a cortisol level.  ::)  So, I have no idea what is considered low.

Now, I'm set to have an ACTH stimulation test.  I've looked it up and it sounds pretty routine but I wondered if anyone else has experienced this. 

Thanks!
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Another Day Another Test
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:39:09 pm »
Hey Andy,

Those are both new ones for me!   ???

You'll have to fill us in when you find out more.

HUGS,

Marik
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:01:47 pm »
Hey Andy,

I've heard of Cortisol, but I can't remember when or exactly what it is.  Isn't it like a hormone, like your thyroid or something?  Anyway, I'll be waiting to hear (in other words, please let us know what's going on). :-*
  Luv,
Betty

Edited to add:  Found it!  Yeah, it's the stress hormone.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/cortisol-14668
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:04:23 pm by BT65 »
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:01:19 am »
Andy,

Leave it to you to increase our knowledge of the body and it's mysteries. I never heard of Cortisol either. After reading the article:  it seems to be pretty important.

Good luck on your test.
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:56:35 am »
Leave it to me to find something weird.   

I'll have the test tomorrow afternoon (30 May) and will give everyone an update when I know anything else.

Hugs,
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 12:29:00 am »
So, I went for big test on the 30th and saw my doctor's nurse coordinator before I went in area where they do the testing.  She confirmed that my gastric emptying test (where you eat radiated eggs and they take pictures) was abnormal.  The ACTH test would determine if there was something wrong with my adrenal gland (that produces cortisol) and this would explain why it took so long for the food to go through my stomach.

The test is pretty straight forward.  They take some blood to get a baseline level for cortisol and then inject you with ACTH and check your levels on the 1/2 hour and hour.  Simple right?!   NOPE!  Nurse #1 tells me I have lovely veins.  I explain that while they look good they move and she should use the vein in the middle of my arm that you can't see but you can feel.  After 2 unsuccessful attempts in locations other than were I told her to try she gives up and call in Nurse #2.  I repeat my story but of course she's the nurse and knows better.  After she tries twice and fails both times to draw blood it's time for Nurse #3.  With now 4 band aids on my arms and still no IV, Nurse #3 is told she has no choice but to in certain the not so little needle where I tell her.  What a surprise ... blood!  I was right all along!  :o >:( 

Now a couple of days later and several very LARGE bruises the results are in ... and good news!  Well, sort of.  There is nothing wrong with my adrenal gland!!!  Now, the question remains whats wrong with my stomach.  At this point they don't know.  I'll see the doc again in June and hopefully they'll have some ideas then.  If they tell me I have to go for another blood test I think I'll draw my own!

Ugh!
AA

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 10:39:35 am »
Andy
Sorry about the bruises.  I feel for you. But hey.....sounds like positive news in regard to the test.
Hope you find out whats going on with the tummy.

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 08:27:14 pm »
Andy, I get very irritated with medical people who think they know better than the patient in regards to where to draw blood.  I have actually asked phlebotomists if I could "do it."  Anyway, good news on the adrenal.  Now I hope they find out what's going on with the stomach.  Keep us updated.
 Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 01:08:12 am »
Thanks!

Two bruises arent' bad looking at all ... smaller than a dime.  The other two look NASTY -- Blue/Black/Purple and you can see the vein leading up to it and away from it!  But neither hurts so I'll stop complaining.

I really don't know what I'll find out when I see the doc in June but if for right now my biggest complaint is more flatulence than normal and LOTS of belching things are pretty good.

Even more good news when I got the results of my regular labs.  After being down to 147 3 months ago I'm not back up to 314!!!  I could get used to receiving good news when I go to the doctor.  The ID doc wants to see me again in 3 months but if things are good he wants to consider pushing out the time in between visits!!!

Hugs & Kisses to everyone since I'm in such a good mood!!!  :-*
AA

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.