Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:13:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 590
Total: 591

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: On Atripila, in a country I don't like and have a question.  (Read 3738 times)

Offline newnick61

Habari.

Greetings from the Dark Continent. Nick has relocated to central Uganda, a country that should be the poster child for everything that is wrong with Africa. It is amazing where you will live when you are somehow in love. Somehow.

In any event, I have switched to Atripila because it is one pill and locally available. It makes me paranoid but that is probably not a bad thing being a muzungu in Uganda.

The Nickster has an opportunity to move from Idi-Amin-Land to another job but I have to face the dreaded HIV test. Currently I am undetectable and plan to stay that way - does anyone know if I can "pass" an HIV test? Strange question I know but I am a strange guy.

Baadaye.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: On Atripila, in a country I don't like and have a question.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:12:30 am »
Hi Nick! Good to hear from you.

You cannot "pass" an hiv test. Hiv tests look for antibodies, not the virus itself (unlike the viral load tests) and I'm afraid once you're positive, you're positive. Sucks, don't it?

Why do you have to take the test? Is it to get a visa into the country you want to relocate to or a prerequisite of the job application process?

Good luck anyway. It's no fun living somewhere you don't like.

I wish we heard from you more often, Nick! Don't be such a stranger.  :-*

Fond hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Victory101

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 06:20:18 pm »
You know what I feel insulted by this thread as Im  half Ugandan. The English have a saying and I  might not quote it correctly something along the lines its okay for us to complain about our weather but not for foreigners. Just as most people will complain about their Mums, husbands, wives etc its not quite the same when someone else does it.

First thing that irked me, the op refers to Africa as the Dark Continent. This was a derogatory term used by the colonisers to describe Africa.  Sounds to me like he is looking down his nose at Uganda and in general Africa. A possible racist.... Seems to feel that his country is waay better than Uganda. My advice to the op is get out and get out fast as Ugandans and Uganda do not like you either.

To call Uganda, Idi-Amin land is totally distasteful. It almost makes my blood boil but then I don't know you and won't even bother explaining why or even getting myself angry.

Yes, Uganda has its problems (what country doesn't?)  but I have  lived there for 7 years and had some of the best years of my life there. I often go back and visit and have a great time.  Maybe if he didn't have such a negative view, he would see some of the positive aspects?

Just couldn't let this pass without posting how I feel.

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 07:47:53 pm »
First thing that irked me, the op refers to Africa as the Dark Continent. This was a derogatory term used by the colonisers to describe Africa.  Sounds to me like he is looking down his nose at Uganda and in general Africa. A possible racist.... Seems to feel that his country is waay better than Uganda. My advice to the op is get out and get out fast as Ugandans and Uganda do not like you either.

To call Uganda, Idi-Amin land is totally distasteful. It almost makes my blood boil but then I don't know you and won't even bother explaining why or even getting myself angry.

I'm feelin' ya!  I read "the Dark Continent" and thought "What next?  Women are 'bitches' and 'hos,' people of color are 'darkies'?"  We internalise a lot of oppression in our lives, no matter what our background may be.  However, to vent so much on one place where one apparently went willingly is beyond distasteful.

Cheers,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 11:19:01 pm »
"Dark continent" really sounds like something out of 19th Century King Leopold's greedy mouth. "A country I don't like" is an odd lead-in.

No need to defend Uganda (where I have heard some promising news regarding HIV prevention), or being Ugandan. Or loving Uganda. We should be careful if we choose to air what we presume to be someone's else's dirty laundry before our own. This is a global Site. We all benefit.

Good points.

8) -megasept
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:22:52 pm by megasept »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.