Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:07:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 651
Total: 651

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pilot Medical Certificate and FAA MedXpress Filing assistance  (Read 7216 times)

Offline mikosheat

Pilot Medical Certificate and FAA MedXpress Filing assistance with HIV disclosure.

I am currently in the process of registering myself for flight school. I'm aware of FAA's extended reviews for seropositive candidates.

However, I'm clueless as to what to fill in order to declare my status or any other information the FAA might be expecting.

For example, on MedXpress I am assuming that question 18-X is where I would check "Yes" and Explain simply by: "HIV". Am I correct?

But under "General Explanations Pertaining to Medical History" I have no clue what might be expected for me to fill in. Is it just my last CD4 count and VL? Or what?

How about for question 19. "Have you visited any health professionals within the last 3 years?" Am I supposed to list every trimester visit I've made to my doctor? Lab works? Or only those visits for the treatment of another specific condition or illness such as a cold, or etc?

CogScreen? When do I take it? Prior or following medical examination?

What documentation should I have in hands at the day of examination? Medical Records? Lab Works?

If anyone is genuinely capable of assisting me through this process or sharing their experiences through medical examination, I would sincerely appreciate it. It is my first time doing this and becoming a pilot means a lot to me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:08:32 pm by mikosheat »

Offline QuietGuy

Re: Pilot Medical Certificate and FAA MedXpress Filing assistance
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 10:20:15 pm »
I would check with the NGPA (National Gay Pilots Association).  Due to a member's grant they have a service that will walk you through the entire process of getting your medical certificate when you are HIV poz. 
They have a link on their webpage for this (don't recall if you have to be a member or not).  Additionally they have many other resources specifically for LGBT pilots and aspiring pilots.
Check it out: ngpa.org

Offline mikosheat

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 10:49:43 pm »
Thank you very much. Any suggestions, comments help!

Offline mikosheat

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 11:00:03 pm »
The highlighted fields is where I find difficulties finding a concise answer.

Offline zach

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 11:19:49 pm »
now i am a little confused

are there two pilots asking similar questions, and you're in both threads?

Offline mikosheat

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 11:24:17 pm »
I've created my own thread in the hopes of gathering info. Yes, I've replied to other threads. my apologies if its causing confusions. I'm new to the site, wasn't sure how quickly I'd get replies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 06:23:27 pm »
Miko, it is quite alright, we know you're new.  But the other thread was started in 2013, so it is considered a zombie thread.

Please keep all further comments to this thread.  Thanks for your cooperation.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline vertigo

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 08:16:18 pm »
I had an FAA medical cert a long time ago, when I was considering flight school.  Never pursued that career path, and am out of touch with exactly what they're looking for.  But I assume they must ask if you're taking any prescription drugs?

My concern with not reporting your condition is that you are already on treatment.  If you were newly diagnosed and not yet on meds, I could see some wiggle room here.  Disclosure would probably hold up your medical cert until you were virally suppressed.  It might be hard for someone to later establish exactly when you were aware of your diagnosis, anyway.

But since you are already on meds, hiding info on prescription drug use could constitute fraud.  And you will still have to complete a physical exam with an FAA-designated physician, right?  So that would mean more deception.  You could probably get away with it, but what's the upside?  An HIV+ diagnosis is not a disqualifying condition.  My doc regularly writes a letter to the FAA for another of his patients who is a pilot, and his medical cert is routinely renewed.  Yes, this is a little more work for you up front.  But weigh that against the worry of hiding this info at every renewal, from now to the end of your flying career.  Also if you ever wanted to fly commercially this would be a real bugger to explain.

I am not a lawyer and this is just my 2 cents.  I'm also not a fan of disclosing to employers -- I don't think it's any of their business.  But regulatory bodies are different, and you have to be careful.  Think it through on what you hope to gain.

Edited to add: Perhaps you intended to disclose all along and were just looking for advice on how to do so?  I'm a little confused between the two parallel threads on exactly what info you were looking for, versus the advice other people are giving.  The best reply of the bunch is probably the one advising you to check with the gay pilots association.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:21:44 pm by vertigo »

Offline harleymc

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 04:46:55 am »
Why are you calling HIV an illness?
Is it currently making you ill? If not then the correct response is 'no' to the question about other illnesses.

Offline zach

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 06:42:27 am »
Why are you calling HIV an illness?
Is it currently making you ill? If not then the correct response is 'no' to the question about other illnesses.

Negative, sorry harley, that is not accurate.

The medical cert issued for HIV is a "Special Issuance Authorization" under FAR Part 67.401 and requires the disclosure, especially if the pilot has any intention of ever flying commercial. An AIDS diagnosis is a disqualification.

Following the initial disclosure, pilot will be required to submit a report from an AME (aviation medical examiner) that will go into greater detail than the medxpress portal requires.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/hiv/

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/media/HIV%20Spec%20Sheet%20Under%202%20years.pdf

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aeromed/medical/hiv.htm
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:49:40 am by zach »

Offline QuietGuy

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 02:46:28 pm »
As I stated above, please contact the NGPA for guidance and direction. 

This isn't simply something that you can disclose on your med cert application, like a tooth extraction or broken wrist.  There is a long drawn out process.  You need an aeromedical surgeon "AME" in FAA verbiage who is familiar with the process.  Be prepared to be "grounded" for three months minimum while you work through the process. 

Additionally no medical is required to take lessons.  It won't be required until you solo.

So there's no reasons you couldn't take flight lessons up to that point.

My background:  commercial airline pilot for 15 yrs, poz for 8, on meds for 7.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.