Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:39:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 635
Total: 636

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Website outs those living with STDs  (Read 13544 times)

Offline Esquare

Website outs those living with STDs
« on: November 03, 2008, 02:23:19 am »
This would be one of those bad uses for the internet.  We don't need this. 

stdcarriers dot com
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 01:10:50 pm by Peter Staley »

Offline emeraldize

Re: Website outs those living with STDs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 08:00:20 am »
Holy crap! Did you look at this? Is this for real? There are names, even photos! One entry seemed to be showing a lawsuit is in progress.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:04:29 am »

WOW I just checked it out.  Hell they even have an actor from Knight Rider listed... and I aint talking about the Trans AM.. :o

Someone is gonna get burned for sure...
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:33:53 am »
how can you trust the info......first hand knowledge from the EX.... ya right.

>:(

Offline komnaes

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:43:28 am »
For the sake for sanity I do ask the mods to please take down the link, for the simple reason that no one should give this site any more free advertising. I know Esquire probably doesn't mean to, but it's obviously that this site is trying to attract attention so that people will start using it (which a few already have), and we can safely guess how ugly it will become once it's caught on.

I wouldn't have bothered to ask for a takedown (for the link) but these forums has very high traffics and we know that not all readers are here to seek information. Hopefully it will backfire on those who have started this sick joke but I just don't think we should give it any airing.

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline next2u

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 10:29:08 am »
that website sucks
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline dixieman

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 10:48:22 am »
Unfortunately, I think this will become more common in the future... because of peoples lack of concern for others in passing an STD and a lack of concern for their own health.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 11:28:38 am »
Reprehensible.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 11:54:02 am »
For the sake for sanity I do ask the mods to please take down the link, for the simple reason that no one should give this site any more free advertising. I know Esquire probably doesn't mean to, but it's obviously that this site is trying to attract attention so that people will start using it (which a few already have), and we can safely guess how ugly it will become once it's caught on.

I wouldn't have bothered to ask for a takedown (for the link) but these forums has very high traffics and we know that not all readers are here to seek information. Hopefully it will backfire on those who have started this sick joke but I just don't think we should give it any airing.

Shaun

I strongly agree with Shaun here.  Does anyone here remember the guy that backtracked here after Philly (I think) linked to his site?

Ahem...all it takes is for the founder of this site to check the traffic history of his site and backtrack here - and then we're all a goldmine of people to expose for him.  You all do realize that, don't you? 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 11:59:03 am »
wut
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 12:21:25 pm »
and....

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=20143.msg266216#msg266216

See - it was you! Sebastian backtracked here by looking at his web traffic.  There is no reason this STD site bozo can't do the same thing, and many of us have varying degrees of personally identifying information on here that could quickly get us listed on his site.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 12:37:18 pm »
Oh got it -- I think it's called a "redirect" or something.  Since the link is embedded from these forums they can detect the redirect in their traffic statistics.

The moderators, and/or the OP, can prevent this by utilizing TinyURL.com to block the redirect while still allowing users to go to the referenced offensive web site.

http://tinyurl.com/

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 01:02:02 pm »
The site owner/founder brings a whole new definition to the acronym S T D. Spiteful, Time-wasting and Destructive. Well, I sure hope if he's reading this thread, I hope he's ready for a mo fo of a lawsuit. Maybe with this many folks they could pool their efforts. There was a similar type of lawsuit no so long ago where someone's ex ratted out his herpes status. The guy outed was a lawyer and did not go down without a fight. I'll see if I can find the linkage. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07338/838968-85.stm

But here’s something I hope the site initiator reads and forum visitors:  http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/publication-private-facts  Here's an excerpt to encourage readership…there’s much more than this on the site.

Publication of Private Facts
In most states, you can be sued for publishing private facts about another person, even if those facts are true. The term "private facts" refers to information about someone's personal life that has not previously been revealed to the public, that is not of legitimate public concern, and the publication of which would be offensive to a reasonable person. For example, writing about a person's HIV status, sexual orientation, or financial troubles could lead to liability for publication of private facts. However, the law protects you when you publish information that is newsworthy, regardless of whether someone else would like you to keep that information private. In addition, the law protects you if you publish information already exposed to the public eye and especially material obtained from publicly available court records. Despite the law's substantial protections for legitimate reporting on matters of public interest, it is a good practice to obtain consent before publishing sensitive private information about someone.

Who Can Sue for Publication of Private Facts
Only human beings, and not corporations or other organizations, can sue for publication of private facts. Publication of private facts is a type of invasion of privacy, and you cannot invade the privacy of a dead person. Therefore, an estate cannot sue you for publishing private facts about a dead person, unless your publication took place before the person in question died. Note, however, that members of a dead person's family may be able to sue in their own right if you disclose private facts that relate to them too.

Elements of a Private Facts Claim
A plaintiff must establish four elements to hold someone liable for publication of private facts:
1. Public Disclosure: The disclosure of facts must be public. Another way of saying this is that the defendant must "give publicity" to the fact or facts in question.
2. Private Fact: The fact or facts disclosed must be private, and not generally known.
3. Offensive to a Reasonable Person: Publication of the private facts in question must be offensive to a reasonable person of ordinary sensibilities.
4. Not Newsworthy: The facts disclosed must not be newsworthy. Stated differently, the facts disclosed must not be a matter of legitimate public concern.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 01:11:50 pm »
You're all being way too paranoid, but I've gone ahead and changed the link to a TinyUrl link.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 02:32:28 pm »
I appreciate Tim and Philly's healthy level of paranoia as I don't know about the ease and frequency of tracing back site traffic.  It is true we have a couple of posters who've outed themselves in terms of too much personal information and so, for them, if no one else, it seems prudent to block any access.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 02:42:50 pm »
Don't lump me in with the Paranoia Brigade.  I simply offered a solution to other's worries.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 02:46:19 pm »
You're all being way too paranoid, but I've gone ahead and changed the link to a TinyUrl link.

Thanks, Peter. As as someone who has been the victim of online stalking from this forum and my blog, I assure you that the paranoia is justified. There are far more crazy people out there than any of us can guess. And no one knows when he or she will become a target.

Seriously, I have never brought this up on the public forum, but it's one of the safety issues that needs to be reiterated from time to time. Thanks again for putting the disclaimer up at the top of the page about personal information and avatars. Important stuff to remember.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 03:04:46 pm »
I just checked the list of people living in California.  There were 50,000 people in California living with HIV just 2 years ago.  This list has 6 people, 5 of which are celebrities, the 6th person Billy Graham might be the Billy Graham.  The average person is not going to have a chance to even meet David Crosby, Lisa Minnelli, David Hasselhoff or Pamela Anderson in their lifetime let alone get close enough to get Hep C or Herpes from one of them.   That information could have come from the tabloids.  At this moment there are over 8,000 members in these Forums, none of use will ever be in The National Inquirer.

Even IF the web site was going through our posts to gather information, which would be a very long and involved project... my last name has never been written in these forums or used in Commission on AIDS minutes.  I will not be losing any sleep over this  ;D  Have the best day
Michael
(whose last name is not Sonomabeach)

Offline HIV+Me

• HIV + Me
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 04:24:07 pm »
I agree it's not only reprehensible, but is also a violation of law, revealing one's HIV status without your written consent.  (Trust me, a friend who left one job where a nasty manager mentioned it to others after he left, and it got around, got socked with a HEFTY fine and probation.)  But just glancing at the first two HIV+ names, both Magic Johnson and Rebekka Armstrong are quite public with their status (though I wonder if the average American these days remembers Magic's first name is "Earvin" as it's listed here.)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 04:43:58 pm »
Pitiful.  Just pitiful. I suspect the site owner will reap nasty soon.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 04:51:30 pm »
(though I wonder if the average American these days remembers Magic's first name is "Earvin" as it's listed here.)

Maybe not now but, I remember my last bar job.  A caller made reservations for 6 or 8 people using the name Earvin Johnson.  There was a big fight over who would get that table because that was Magic Johnson.  Mr. Johnson and his party never showed up at Birdland West that night.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 05:03:12 pm »
Thanks, Peter. As as someone who has been the victim of online stalking from this forum and my blog, I assure you that the paranoia is justified. There are far more crazy people out there than any of us can guess. And no one knows when he or she will become a target.

Seriously, I have never brought this up on the public forum, but it's one of the safety issues that needs to be reiterated from time to time. Thanks again for putting the disclaimer up at the top of the page about personal information and avatars. Important stuff to remember.

A friend of mine on another site actually had to yank down some YouTube videos because he got mail from some anonymous person who had figured out his exact address based on the view visible from the window in some of his videos.

And as the old saying goes:  just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.   :o
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 09:12:23 pm »
Here is a CNN story about it

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/11/02/yeager.std.website.kgw

So the question is how do we shut down the website?

Mike
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:02:09 pm by Mike89406 »

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 12:15:08 am »
I reported it to the Federal Trade Comission dont know if they will do anything or fully remove the website or prosecute the member.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 07:26:00 am »

I noticed someone posted a profile about the founder of the site.  I checked to see if he also posted a profile in regards to himself, which he did.  Above his profile someone has listed Fat GapTooth Fucker, which of course is for the founder himself.  I have a funny feeling there will be plenty more cool profile names listed for the guy.

One girl is even blamed for the destruction of a wooden futon in her profile.  The site will most likely lose a lot of it's credibility (cough) as time goes along because of fake profiles like  Billy Fuckherfaster.

Offline HereIAm

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 08:34:51 am »
Hi Skeebo1969,

I noticed the one who broke the futon given her weight!  Are we gravitating toward the same profiles?!

:-)

I can't imagine this will legitimately take off.  And, a place where an ex can tell something on someone?  Are you kidding?! 

Regards,
Here!
Tested Positive 10 Sept 2008.
24 Sept 2008:  CD 4: 23;   1%;  VL: 770,709
1st Oct 2008:  Started Atripla
4 Dec 2008:  CD 4: 145; 8%, VL: 209
1 March 2009:  CD 4: 91; 8%, VL: 49 (undet)
1 June 2009:  CD 4: 164; 11%, VL: 61
8 July 2011:  CD 4: 286; 17%, VL Undet
28 Oct 2011: CD 4: 346; 21%, VL Undet
2 Mar 2012: CD 4: 316; 20%, VL 6800 (probably an error)
12 Apr 2012: CD 4: 333; 21%, VL Undet

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 09:50:01 am »
Hi Skeebo1969,

I noticed the one who broke the futon given her weight!  Are we gravitating toward the same profiles?!

:-)

Yep that's the one....

Regarding the paranoia stuff, here is a different spin on it.  According to his comments, this guy is doing his research on the web.  If he has not already he is most likely going to come across this site.  It is possible to save others avatars along with getting personal information on the people who have it in their profiles.   Just be careful in other words if this is something you don't want posted on the this site, which CNN has now given a free plug. 

Not trying to start mass hysteria or anything, I just thought some should know.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 04:35:36 pm »
If he has not already he is most likely going to come across this site.  It is possible to save others avatars along with getting personal information on the people who have it in their profiles.   Just be careful in other words if this is something you don't want posted on the this site, which CNN has now given a free plug. 

Not trying to start mass hysteria or anything, I just thought some should know.

Well, thank GOD I haven't posted any personal information!  ::)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 05:48:30 pm »
It is becoming way too easy to do real harm to people.  Sad.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 05:54:35 pm »
Here some interesting dirt on the websites creator you may find interesting

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_110408_news_STD_website_creator_criminal_past.17cb5ddfb.html

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 01:15:54 am »
I tried to see if the site is till running and I get in the enter link and then a error message. I wonder if the server crashed?

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2008, 01:24:32 am »
Just an update. When I first found the previously mentioned website I contacted a few federal organizations concerning his blatant disregard for individual medical privacy one of which was the Federal Trade Commission, HIPPA complaint and my local congressman.

I received a Official letter from my local congressman in Nevada watermarked and all, and he agrees that confidentiality is an important issue in this matter. He also mentioned that Cyrus Sullivan (The webmaster) pleaded guilty to misdemeanor harassment charges when he falsely advertised STD clinics several years ago and before his website was launched, and he mentioned that he is currently under investigation by local enforcement authorities. He lastly mentioned that he will keep my thoughts in mind should legislation regarding the privacy of medical information comes before Congress.

Having said all of that I'm not one to blow whistles on people or see them get in to trouble unless they truly deserve it,  however since mine and other peoples medical confidentiality is extremely important he has crossed the fine line with me and deserves what he gets in my opinion. (BTW my name isn't on his website and doesn't have to be) If he wants to out himself that's his business but rest assured I now believe he has received national attention and one wrong move by this guy and he is toast according to what I have heard. Not only that I hope he has a lot of money because I have a feeling the lawsuits are coming and he wont know what hit him until its too late.

Regards Mike
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 01:34:23 am by Mike89406 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.