Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 09:03:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 719535
  • Total Topics: 58275
  • Online Today: 314
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 253
Total: 254

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hi - I am in my second week of PEP (Stribild). I took it today at the normal time, but had pretty significant diarrhea 45-60 min after taking the pill. Would it be possible to pass the pill in this time, and should I treat this as a missed dose? If so, at what time should I take the next pill?

Haven't been able to get through to the clinic or my pcp; both closed on Sunday. Thanks for any advice.
 :)

Hope you had a great day !  Happy Belated birthday to you !  In about 10 months, you will get your Medicare card in the Mail !!  8)

Ray  8)
Am I Infected? / Re: Advice please
« Last post by Ptrk3 on Today at 07:15:56 PM »
As you appear to understand, protected sex is not a risk for HIV infection, so any and all activities in which you engaged in when wearing a condom constitutes "safer sex."

In regard to unprotected oral sex (giving and/or receiving), receiving unprotected oral sex is not a risk for HIV infection.  Giving unprotected oral sex is a theoretical risk only, and would require large gaping wounds in the "giver's" mouth (think "meth mouth").

However, any type of unprotected oral sex exposes you to the potential of other STD's/STI's.

Now, to your specific question, the HIV is fragile and does not survive outside the body in a viable manner, so would not survive in a viable manner to "transfer" in the manner about which you are concerned (small cuts/abrasions on the shaft of your penis are not viable pathways into your blood stream).

There really is no need for you to seek PEP for the incident(s) you describe in your post, but that is your decision.
Thanks Leatherman! Also nice little Beattle's song excerpt. I am resisting a "Clever Chops Moment" in a "youthful response" as my Son says :)

And Tonny2 Happy Belated Birthday to You!

Take care,

OT
Am I Infected? / Advice please
« Last post by george92 on Today at 06:41:31 PM »
Hi there

I would be grateful for some guidance.

I had a threeway last night with two guys. I don’t know their HIV status. Two of us topped, the other bottomed. We used condoms for anal sex and had unprotected oral (nobody came in anyone’s mouth although I’m confident some precum was involved).

I noticed I had a small line of cuts from an electric trimmer on the shaft of my penis which must have been from when I trimmed about 30 mins before the encounter started.

I appreciate from other posts that there is a negligible risk of contracting HIV through oral sex. However if one of the guys had precummed in the other guy’s mouth, who then proceeded to ‘suck me off’, bearing in mind the recent cuts on my shaft, could I be at risk?

If so, should I go to a GUM clinic to ask for PEP tomorrow morning? Bearing in mind the 72 hour window after potential exposure.

Thanks.
Happy Birthday

(I stole this ^ from one of the old birthday announcement threads  ;) ;D )

When I get older losing my hair
Many years from now
. . .
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?
- the Beatles

mine. was a month and two days ago
and a belated Happy Birthday! to you!!
Living With HIV / Re: HPV...Scared :(
« Last post by bocker3 on Today at 02:46:25 PM »
It is frustrating that anal pap smears seem to be so rarely done and that folks have doctors who say they don't do them.  Given that it is not much different than a cervical pap smear (except for where one inserts the swab).  Once a sample is obtained, the test is pretty much EXACTLY the same as a cervical pap smear.  I mean, really, if cervical pap smears are routinely performed, then anal pap smears can be done.  It seems to be a case of "never done it, so don't want to".

Here is a link one can share with their doctor on how to obtain a sample (it really is a simple procedure):

http://analcancerinfo.ucsf.edu/obtaining-specimen-anal-cytology

It is not all that surprising that HRA's aren't readily available - at least outside of major metro areas.  However, if the anal pap was done more routinely, it could then be followed up with an HRA, if warranted -- even if it did require some travel.

Mike
Thank you Tonny2!

Best,

OT

:)
Wardp,

I got your PM. Look to be honest the best thing you can do is see your doctor sooner rather than later.

scientifically proven?

What is? Just because a med may have a side effect does not mean if you develop an issue that it is necessarily the cause. 

I'm not dismissing your concern BTW, not in the slightest. I mean next to psychological aspect some people have starting medication others do have some weeks of settling in when taking meds and a few will have problems. 

Now if you are having serious concerns and you believe the issues are related somehow to your HIV meds than you should talk to a doctor. They can advise you and if needed recommend a switch and what meds in that case would agree and suits your personal needs better.

I wish you well and hope you are okay.

Jim
Living With HIV / Re: HPV...Scared :(
« Last post by Egyptianman on Today at 11:58:44 AM »
up. Anal Pap smear, HRA, HPV DNA PCR (latter may give false neg result if latent) has been deemed crucial to detect anal cancer bio-markers (i.e. AIN, HGIL) per publications/ studies in this field but some of these aren't recommended for men by doctors. Therefore, you will have hard time persuading doctors to perform these on you.

Almost half of the anal cytology results are false negative. Co testing( anal pap smear and HRA) should be standard for this risk group.

PROCTOSCOPE detects hemorrhoids, anal fissures, fistula and perhaps cancerous growths. You need your anus examined 20 to 40 times magnified via HRA. This procedure requires advanced skills and training.

Print out studies on this issue and bang them on your doc's office desk!

Also, go    head with your HPV shots.

Early detection of HGIL is key for favourable prognosis.
NO DR here is performing anal pap smear let alone that they don't even know about HRA... I went to two colorecal surgeons...they don't know anything about HRA.
All they did is digital rectal examination and proctoscopes.
I don't know what can I do?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2017 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.