Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:04:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 464
Total: 465

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Four antibiotics for diarrhea  (Read 12436 times)

Offline LordBerners

Four antibiotics for diarrhea
« on: March 07, 2010, 01:32:16 pm »
A week or so ago I had a case of diarrhea which lasted a bit longer than normal for me - usually I get over the runs in a day or so, this one just kept on for several days.  Interestingly several non-positive people who had also gotten sick from the same dinner in the same way were better in one day.

In any case, I took a common but old fashioned anti-biotic available here in Thailand, called 'Disento'.  It contains these antibiotics:
Diiodohydroxyquin
Furazolidone
Neomycin Sulfate
Phthalylsulfathiazole
as well as a bit of light Kaolin

I was instantly cured, and didn't go to the bathroom for a couple of days, after which, normal.  However I was just wondering if any of those drugs are dangerous or counterindicated for HIVers or for my meds (tenofovir, reyataz, abacavir, norvir).  By the way the pharmacist who sold me the Disento told me that Bactrim would also work, and I have a big bag of those at my home leftover from when I needed them, but alas my illness was while on a small holiday.
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Four antibiotics for diarrhea
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:33:34 pm »
Anti-biotics have always been the cause of my gastrointestinal issues.

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:55:01 pm »
Hi everyone, I've been away from the forum for nearly two years, but I'm back, strangely enough, with the same question - about this Thai antibiotic for dysentery, Disento.

I suppose it is good news that I have not had significant diarrhea in well over year, so the question hasn't come up.  Now my meds have lightly changed, I'm on Lopinavir, Lamivudine, and Tenofovir, but my numbers, both cell counts and kidney/liver function, etc., all remain excellent.

So, I'm still wondering about this Disento.  Have had another case of diarrhea lasting a few days, just wondering if those ingredients have any conflict with my meds:

Diiodohydroxyquinoline 250 mg
furazolidone 50 mg
neomycin sulfate 50 mg
phthalylsulfathiazole 250 mg

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 05:05:57 pm »
@ LordBerners for what it's worth, I've battled diarrhea & GI disease for the last 15 yrs. I'm currently on

NEOMYCIN 500mg for 10 days to help kill all of my gut bugs, and I'm on antibiotics @ least 3 to 5 times a yr.  and I've been on many of them..... personally I think antibiotics don't Stop diarrhea, they just kill things off
as I have to take them so often  :-[

I think you should be ok, however I'm not a Doctor, if you can, somehow ask one, that would be your best bet  :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:12:50 pm »
So, you pop on here every couple of years -- only to ask us to do your research?  If it isn't about drug interactions, it's about how can I get such and such a thing here in Thailand.  Are the forums your personal administrative assistant?  If you can post here, then I have to assume you have internet access. 
Google your questions, find your own answers -- or better yet, ask a health care professional. 

Mike

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:16:12 pm »
Lopinavir? On it's own or combined with ritonavir aka Kaletra?

If you've got the tom-tits, I'd be looking at that as a potential culprit.

Also, what Bocker said.

MtD

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 08:48:19 am »
So, you pop on here every couple of years -- only to ask us to do your research?  If it isn't about drug interactions, it's about how can I get such and such a thing here in Thailand.  Are the forums your personal administrative assistant?  If you can post here, then I have to assume you have internet access. 
Google your questions, find your own answers -- or better yet, ask a health care professional. 

Mike

...but whatever you do, don't expect help from a support forum. Is that what you're saying, Mike? Or is there an assumed rule that you can't come here and ONLY ask questions or seek advice? Perhaps a newbie is reconsidering asking for help here after reading your post.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:08:09 am »

Mike

Mike, we've had several complaints about your harsh attitude towards LB. Sometimes if you can't say something nice - or something helpful - it's far better to close that thread and move on to the next without saying anything.

Please be mindful of nervous newbies who may hesitate to ask for help after reading a reply like yours above.

And yes, this is a warning, so thank you for your cooperation going forward.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 11:08:18 am »
Lopinavir? On it's own or combined with ritonavir aka Kaletra?

If you've got the tom-tits, I'd be looking at that as a potential culprit.

Also, what Bocker said.

Sorry, Matty, I wasn't stating that correctly - now have the bottles in front of me:

1) Aluvia (Lopinavir + Ritonavir)
2) Lamivudine
3) Tenofovir

I'm actually resistant to the Lamivudine as I understand it but my doctors think that its still of some effectiveness in this combo, and it seems the combo is working well.

To clarify, yes I have the 'Kaletra squirts' but that isn't the same thing as the diarrhea that occasioned this round of antibiotics.   It is normal for me to have the 'eat-then-shit' as they say in Thailand (rushing to the toilet within about 20 minutes of eating), but then after that I don't have it again until the next time I eat.  By contrast when I had the real diarrhea it was a constant going back and forth to the toilet all night.

Regarding my sin of poor attendance on this forum, well I cannot deny it.  But count yourselves lucky - many might say LB in small doses is preferable to the alternative!

Thanks all for your help, and especially best of luck to you denb45, your ongoing gastrointestinal difficulties make mine sound relatively mild/intermittent.

Offline weasel

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 11:01:23 am »

Hi  LordBerners ,
                          I just posted about  Probiotics .

I know antibiotics  ruin me for months  :-[

I do hope you are feeling better ,  being stuck in the Bathe'   just

annoys the crap out of me  :-X

Weasel  :-*

P.s. Good to see you around here   :)
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.